Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal (calcaneonavicular) coalition

Posted by Selina G on 4/02/02 at 15:50 (078267)

Well, I am nearing the end of four weeks in my removable walking cast for tx of my tarsal coalition, and I am still having pain, so, ever the pessimist, I am preparing myself mentally for the possibility of surgery. Now, given the fact that I am 31 y/o, and I have had problems off and on with that foot and ankle instability and swelling and stiffness since I was 20, is there a greater possibility that there is arthritis in the joint or degenerative changes and I will need arthrodesis instead of a resection? Also, if I have a successful surgical outcome, should I be able to resume my weight-bearing aerobic activities? And, finally, in your experience, is there any correlation between the age of the patient and a successful outcome--in other words, am I too old to expect absolutely no pain?

Re: Tarsal (calcaneonavicular) coalition

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/02 at 21:48 (078427)

I do not want to sound discouraging but if you have a calcaneo-navicular coalition it is not likely that a cast will lead to significant resolution.
It is a fairly simple surgery, which is generally curative. There is a fairly light recovery period as surgeries go with most people having a good recovery and able to go back to full activity within a month.

Be sure about the diagnosis and that your surgeon is experienced in this area.
Ed

Selina G on 4/04/02 at 09:55 (078476)

Thanks for the info!!!!

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/03/02 at 21:48 (078427)

I do not want to sound discouraging but if you have a calcaneo-navicular coalition it is not likely that a cast will lead to significant resolution.
It is a fairly simple surgery, which is generally curative. There is a fairly light recovery period as surgeries go with most people having a good recovery and able to go back to full activity within a month.

Be sure about the diagnosis and that your surgeon is experienced in this area.
Ed

Selina G on 4/04/02 at 09:55 (078476)

Thanks for the info!!!!