Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lump under ball of foot

Posted by Barb Hall Riverview MI on 4/03/02 at 11:40 (078350)

I had a neauroma removed 21/2 months ago - the incision is still open , will not close(i'm not diabetic) now i have a lump on the bottom of my foot in the neauroma area. It's hard and it hurts. What is your opinion as to what it could be. When i showed the doctor the other day she said that it is bone ! I know my foot i'm 49 years old, and it's NOT bone.Any information would be appriciated.
Thank You
Barb H

Re: Lump under ball of foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/02 at 18:55 (078390)

It could be scar tissue. It could be a hematoma . I am assuming that your incison is open due to the formation a blood collection that has turned into a gel which is what we call a hematoma. And it could be bone . The metatarsal head is right next to where the heuroma was removed

So what is the doctor's plan to help you. This is a very painful and frustrating post-op complication. IF it is a hematoma the following may have to be done.

Wear a wedge darby shoe to get weight off the area. Heat, possible steroid injection and maybe an incision and removal of the hematoma. It sounds like the incision and removal is a very good possibility . So teel me more and maybe I can direct you in the healing direction

Re: Lump under ball of foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/03/02 at 18:55 (078390)

It could be scar tissue. It could be a hematoma . I am assuming that your incison is open due to the formation a blood collection that has turned into a gel which is what we call a hematoma. And it could be bone . The metatarsal head is right next to where the heuroma was removed

So what is the doctor's plan to help you. This is a very painful and frustrating post-op complication. IF it is a hematoma the following may have to be done.

Wear a wedge darby shoe to get weight off the area. Heat, possible steroid injection and maybe an incision and removal of the hematoma. It sounds like the incision and removal is a very good possibility . So teel me more and maybe I can direct you in the healing direction