Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery date is set..time for round 2

Posted by Crystal S on 4/03/02 at 13:58 (078369)

Well after much,much thought and talking with my doctor,my family and my friends I have decided to do a repeat surgery.It is scheduled for April 10th.My doctor thinks that the excessive scar tissue,possible entrapped nerves and possible reconnection of the fascia is the cause of the pain.Unfortunately we have tried everything else and I can not get any relief.I am so sick of pain every day of my life that I am going to pray that this works this time.At least now I am very well informed and I know what to expect.I have an excellent doctor who I feel is doing everything he can to help me unlike the quack who screwed my foot up.I will be off of my foot and total non weight bearing for 4-6 weeks minimum.That is going to be rough with 2 kids but what is 6 weeks compared to the 6 months of hell that I have endured right? I want to thank everyone here for the advice and help along this pain road I have been on.It has been encouraging at times to know that you all understand.Sometimes even my own family can't understand as well as you all.I will keep everyone posted as to my recovery.I hope I have some good news to report soon.Take care all and I will still be here reading and posting when I can.

Crystal

Re: Surgery date is set..time for round 2

Barbara S. on 4/03/02 at 16:26 (078380)

I have been at this for 1 yr now. I use to walk 4-6 miles,bike ride and play golf. Now I can do none of this. I'm good on my foot maybe 1hr a day.
I had surgery for PF on my right foot around Nov 23 or so and things have been worse. I took off the week of Thanksgiving, went back to work on Mon and Tue and have been off ever since. I believe I have a great Podiatrist,just different things happening at the same time.
After 3 months of conservative treatment I am going to have Tarsel Tunnel Surgery on April 22. An Orthopedtic Surgeon is going to do my surgery this time. I am praying also for relief. No one that hasn't had this type of pain can not understand. The only time I get relief is when I take my sleeping pill I have for my fibromylagia.
I really feel for you with two kids, hope they aren't too little. Mine are all grown. Son 24yrs lives here with his family,but at least I don't have to chase them. My son loves to cook,but isn't a great cleaner,but he'll have to do better after my surgery.
Will keep in touch, hope this works. I can't believe some have been dealing with this for so long. I can't take much more of this pain. Pain meds,anti-inflammatory nothing relieves this pain. good luck all.

i

Crystal S on 4/04/02 at 00:39 (078455)

Hi Barbara,
Thank you for your kind words.Boy can I sure relate to your situation.The only time I am pain free is when I am asleep,but then I wake up with pain and literally lay there dreading the thought of putting one foot on the floor because the pain is so bad.I hope your surgery goes well and relieves your problems.I was afraid of developing TTS after the first surgery but so far they haven't mentioned it.I just had carpal tunnel surgery in January on one hand and I have to eventually due the other so I figured TTS would just go right along with everything else.So far though that doesn't seem to be the problem unless they are just not diagnosing it.My kids are 10 and 6.My daughter is the oldest and is 10 going on 20 and such a wonderful helper.She does everything sometimes for her brother. She knows that I am going to have to rely very heavily on her while my husband is at work.God Bless her.We homeschool so they are home with me and thank goodness that they are because if I had to deal with getting them to school,etc. I don't know what I would do.I would definitely tell your son to help with the housework he lives there too.The most important thing that you can do is stay off of your foot after surgery.I learned that the hard way.I had a really bad doctor who did not have me non weight bearing.He told me that I could be on my foot immediately and didn't put me in a cam walker,boot cast or anything.I really believe that these things have contributed to my problems now.So please take it easy afterwards.Let me know how you are doing.I hope you get better and are eventually pain free.Take care.

Crystal

Barbara S. on 4/04/02 at 08:30 (078465)

Hi Crystal
Thanks for the support. Believe me I will be staying off my foot, I want to be able to walk,bike and play golf and again,and mostly walk with our two Labador Retievers.Sadie(2ys)Cody 1-1/2 who have gained 10 lbs since I haven't been walking them. We use to have so much fun as my work hours were 6am 230pm so I would get home by 3 and walk them during the week before dinner,I miss this very much. Sometimes a couple of the grandsons would come with we'd have a ball. Bye for now. Good Luck to you and God Bless. Will keep you posted. Barbara

BrianG on 4/04/02 at 18:33 (078521)

Hi Crystal,

Good luck on your second surgery. I sure hope you can stick to your plans concerning rest, most important. And I've said it before, but it is easier to keep your pain under control if you start taking your pain meds, on a regular basis, before the anesthesia wears off. By waiting too long, you might have big pain spike, which is very difficult to get under control. Good luck

BrianG

Crystal S on 4/04/02 at 19:30 (078526)

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the great advice that you always give.:-) I will definitely be resting because I sure don't ever want to go through this again.I will not hesitate to take the meds either.I remember that from the last surgery.If I would wait to long and then try to control the pain it was almost impossible to get it under control for a long time.I also wanted to tell you that I did finally contact social security and I have a phone interview scheduled for my surgery day.It was the only available appointment for the whole month.So they said that my Mom could answer all of the questions for me.I will let you know how it goes.How is your situation? I hope you are well.Take care.

Crystal

BrianG on 4/06/02 at 21:03 (078726)

I'm still waiting Crystal. Good luck with your application. As long as your going to do this, try to keep meticulous records. I even have a small pain diary I add to every day. Your doctors records will count for a lot. Tell him everything, every little ache and pain. Most people with chronic pain also have depression. If you have any, include it. Sometimes it carry's more weight than the pain does. Doesn't make sense to me, but we have to give them whatever it will take. There are also numerous books avaiable to help you out, it's a small investment when so much is at stake. I found mine at amazon.com. Good luck with every thing.

BrianG

Barbara S. on 4/03/02 at 16:26 (078380)

I have been at this for 1 yr now. I use to walk 4-6 miles,bike ride and play golf. Now I can do none of this. I'm good on my foot maybe 1hr a day.
I had surgery for PF on my right foot around Nov 23 or so and things have been worse. I took off the week of Thanksgiving, went back to work on Mon and Tue and have been off ever since. I believe I have a great Podiatrist,just different things happening at the same time.
After 3 months of conservative treatment I am going to have Tarsel Tunnel Surgery on April 22. An Orthopedtic Surgeon is going to do my surgery this time. I am praying also for relief. No one that hasn't had this type of pain can not understand. The only time I get relief is when I take my sleeping pill I have for my fibromylagia.
I really feel for you with two kids, hope they aren't too little. Mine are all grown. Son 24yrs lives here with his family,but at least I don't have to chase them. My son loves to cook,but isn't a great cleaner,but he'll have to do better after my surgery.
Will keep in touch, hope this works. I can't believe some have been dealing with this for so long. I can't take much more of this pain. Pain meds,anti-inflammatory nothing relieves this pain. good luck all.

i

Crystal S on 4/04/02 at 00:39 (078455)

Hi Barbara,
Thank you for your kind words.Boy can I sure relate to your situation.The only time I am pain free is when I am asleep,but then I wake up with pain and literally lay there dreading the thought of putting one foot on the floor because the pain is so bad.I hope your surgery goes well and relieves your problems.I was afraid of developing TTS after the first surgery but so far they haven't mentioned it.I just had carpal tunnel surgery in January on one hand and I have to eventually due the other so I figured TTS would just go right along with everything else.So far though that doesn't seem to be the problem unless they are just not diagnosing it.My kids are 10 and 6.My daughter is the oldest and is 10 going on 20 and such a wonderful helper.She does everything sometimes for her brother. She knows that I am going to have to rely very heavily on her while my husband is at work.God Bless her.We homeschool so they are home with me and thank goodness that they are because if I had to deal with getting them to school,etc. I don't know what I would do.I would definitely tell your son to help with the housework he lives there too.The most important thing that you can do is stay off of your foot after surgery.I learned that the hard way.I had a really bad doctor who did not have me non weight bearing.He told me that I could be on my foot immediately and didn't put me in a cam walker,boot cast or anything.I really believe that these things have contributed to my problems now.So please take it easy afterwards.Let me know how you are doing.I hope you get better and are eventually pain free.Take care.

Crystal

Barbara S. on 4/04/02 at 08:30 (078465)

Hi Crystal
Thanks for the support. Believe me I will be staying off my foot, I want to be able to walk,bike and play golf and again,and mostly walk with our two Labador Retievers.Sadie(2ys)Cody 1-1/2 who have gained 10 lbs since I haven't been walking them. We use to have so much fun as my work hours were 6am 230pm so I would get home by 3 and walk them during the week before dinner,I miss this very much. Sometimes a couple of the grandsons would come with we'd have a ball. Bye for now. Good Luck to you and God Bless. Will keep you posted. Barbara

BrianG on 4/04/02 at 18:33 (078521)

Hi Crystal,

Good luck on your second surgery. I sure hope you can stick to your plans concerning rest, most important. And I've said it before, but it is easier to keep your pain under control if you start taking your pain meds, on a regular basis, before the anesthesia wears off. By waiting too long, you might have big pain spike, which is very difficult to get under control. Good luck

BrianG

Crystal S on 4/04/02 at 19:30 (078526)

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the great advice that you always give.:-) I will definitely be resting because I sure don't ever want to go through this again.I will not hesitate to take the meds either.I remember that from the last surgery.If I would wait to long and then try to control the pain it was almost impossible to get it under control for a long time.I also wanted to tell you that I did finally contact social security and I have a phone interview scheduled for my surgery day.It was the only available appointment for the whole month.So they said that my Mom could answer all of the questions for me.I will let you know how it goes.How is your situation? I hope you are well.Take care.

Crystal

BrianG on 4/06/02 at 21:03 (078726)

I'm still waiting Crystal. Good luck with your application. As long as your going to do this, try to keep meticulous records. I even have a small pain diary I add to every day. Your doctors records will count for a lot. Tell him everything, every little ache and pain. Most people with chronic pain also have depression. If you have any, include it. Sometimes it carry's more weight than the pain does. Doesn't make sense to me, but we have to give them whatever it will take. There are also numerous books avaiable to help you out, it's a small investment when so much is at stake. I found mine at amazon.com. Good luck with every thing.

BrianG