Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Considering foot surgery

Posted by Shirley T on 4/04/02 at 16:07 (078500)

I live in the Uk, and have a really bad faceitis on my left foot. I have had it now for at least 5 years. I have had 4 cortisone shots into it over a period of tw yeras. The first was wonderful and I walked pain free for nearly 12 months afterwards. The others didn't work at all. I have tried all the other usual things. Ice, arch supports, ultrasound etc with no relief.

I am in constant pain all the time now, and am going to see my consultant Orthopaedic surgeon to ask him to operate. He offered me the option some while ago, and said that the ones he had done were a great success!
He said to me about splitting the fascia? Does anyone know or has anyone had this done, and what is the recovery time for this. He said that it wouuld be keyhole surgery

Re: Considering foot surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/04/02 at 20:22 (078530)

Surgery may be a consideration in your case. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book first to make sure you really have done all of the conservative treatments first.
Ed

Pete R on 4/06/02 at 11:05 (078673)

Hi,

I live in the West Midlands and have suffered with PF for 2 years. All the conservative treatments have failed for me too. I'm just about to take delivery of some £300 orthotics (i've tried 5 other ones !)will then have some physio and if that doesn't work I'll go for surgery in 3 months time. I think the important thing is to find a good surgeon with experience of successful operations, I'll let you know if I track anyone down.

Care, all surgeons claim they have had lots of success, suggest you get name of patients to confirm with them.

I'm also looking into ESWT and there are some London hospitals who do this, currently waiting for them to respond to my e mails.

I found this site on Wednesday which was great seen as I've never heard of anyone who has PF. All Ineed to find is a cure.

Keep your chin up.

Jennifer on 4/08/02 at 16:57 (078846)

Hello,

I also have PF for 2 years and did every kind of action there is including the ossa tron. I just had surgery on my left foot, which is the facia release. The cutting. It was pretty scary, they injected my foot just like the cortozone shot hurt like hell, I recomend the doctor to give you a sedative, and once the foot was numb, they slit just part of the facia. It has now been a week and half and my foot just feels tight all around. I'm not able to put my foot all the way to the ground. The doctor does want me to strectched it but its the most uncomfortable feeling. I had a friend that had my same symptoms and had the facia release it took her about six weeks to recover. But her foot is perfect now. She wears flip flops and everything. I hope my foot turns out the same.

stephanie on 4/15/02 at 18:07 (079760)

I had PF surgery on both feet. My R foot on Nov 21, 2001 and my L foot on Dec. 21. Now 4 months later, I can walk 2 miles w/o pain. I have worn tennis shoes and orthitics daily since June 2001. Still today, after surgery I wear tennis shoes and orthotics, for they support my lower back as well. My R foot feels the best (Surgery Nov. 21). I can probably walk longer than 30 minutes but the L foot doesn't feel as good as the R, so after 30-35 minutes of walking, I need to stop. I was diagnosed with PF in Dec. 2000 and have been wearing orthotics since then. I went thru many conservative treatments to try to fix the condition. Taping my feet was the best relief from pain but that was uncomfortable having your foot stretched and and taped and I you could not get it wet. Bathing was a challenge. I had the cortizone injections as my last resort in September 2001 and never gain will I do that. OUCH....They hurt. After surgery I was quite sore. I didn't have full bend in the feet for about 4 weeks. After 6 weeks I started 10 minutes of walking a day. My next step is to shop for a pair of Birkenstocks with arch support. Anyone that has PF and is able to wear Birks, please let me know your progress with them? (email removed) Herndon, VA

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/04/02 at 20:22 (078530)

Surgery may be a consideration in your case. Read Scott's Heel Pain Book first to make sure you really have done all of the conservative treatments first.
Ed

Pete R on 4/06/02 at 11:05 (078673)

Hi,

I live in the West Midlands and have suffered with PF for 2 years. All the conservative treatments have failed for me too. I'm just about to take delivery of some £300 orthotics (i've tried 5 other ones !)will then have some physio and if that doesn't work I'll go for surgery in 3 months time. I think the important thing is to find a good surgeon with experience of successful operations, I'll let you know if I track anyone down.

Care, all surgeons claim they have had lots of success, suggest you get name of patients to confirm with them.

I'm also looking into ESWT and there are some London hospitals who do this, currently waiting for them to respond to my e mails.

I found this site on Wednesday which was great seen as I've never heard of anyone who has PF. All Ineed to find is a cure.

Keep your chin up.

Jennifer on 4/08/02 at 16:57 (078846)

Hello,

I also have PF for 2 years and did every kind of action there is including the ossa tron. I just had surgery on my left foot, which is the facia release. The cutting. It was pretty scary, they injected my foot just like the cortozone shot hurt like hell, I recomend the doctor to give you a sedative, and once the foot was numb, they slit just part of the facia. It has now been a week and half and my foot just feels tight all around. I'm not able to put my foot all the way to the ground. The doctor does want me to strectched it but its the most uncomfortable feeling. I had a friend that had my same symptoms and had the facia release it took her about six weeks to recover. But her foot is perfect now. She wears flip flops and everything. I hope my foot turns out the same.

stephanie on 4/15/02 at 18:07 (079760)

I had PF surgery on both feet. My R foot on Nov 21, 2001 and my L foot on Dec. 21. Now 4 months later, I can walk 2 miles w/o pain. I have worn tennis shoes and orthitics daily since June 2001. Still today, after surgery I wear tennis shoes and orthotics, for they support my lower back as well. My R foot feels the best (Surgery Nov. 21). I can probably walk longer than 30 minutes but the L foot doesn't feel as good as the R, so after 30-35 minutes of walking, I need to stop. I was diagnosed with PF in Dec. 2000 and have been wearing orthotics since then. I went thru many conservative treatments to try to fix the condition. Taping my feet was the best relief from pain but that was uncomfortable having your foot stretched and and taped and I you could not get it wet. Bathing was a challenge. I had the cortizone injections as my last resort in September 2001 and never gain will I do that. OUCH....They hurt. After surgery I was quite sore. I didn't have full bend in the feet for about 4 weeks. After 6 weeks I started 10 minutes of walking a day. My next step is to shop for a pair of Birkenstocks with arch support. Anyone that has PF and is able to wear Birks, please let me know your progress with them? (email removed) Herndon, VA