Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Day Pain Relief

Posted by Sunny Jacob - Bayshore on 4/06/02 at 09:23 (078655)

The pain relief that patients experience on the first day after ESWT should not be confused with the long range pain relief, especially after multiple sessions of low energy ESWT.
Unfortunately, the initial('false') relief on the first day after treatment causes some patients to return to their normal activities (including strenuous exercise and jogging), against the clinic's instructions, before having completed the full course of treatment.
It is advisable to limit activity to light physiotherapy during the six weeks following ESWT treatment.
ESWT is not a miracle cure. Proper application and patient compliance are key to good treatment outcome.

Re: First Day Pain Relief

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/06/02 at 10:22 (078663)

I agree . There are some that would have the mircle pain relief and then go back agains the orders of the treating doctor and cause more pain .

So rest and listen to your clincis advice !!

John h on 4/06/02 at 10:25 (078664)

Sunny: You make a very good point about the relief you may experience after the first few days. After my first treatment nearly 3 years ago I walked through 3 airports on the way home and then did a lot of things I should not have been doing in the way of exercise. I certainly did not wait 6 weeks. I would echo your advice to all following your doctors advice after treatment may be as important as the treatment itself. Do you know if the settings you use in Canada are different from those the FDA has established in the U.S.?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/06/02 at 10:22 (078663)

I agree . There are some that would have the mircle pain relief and then go back agains the orders of the treating doctor and cause more pain .

So rest and listen to your clincis advice !!

John h on 4/06/02 at 10:25 (078664)

Sunny: You make a very good point about the relief you may experience after the first few days. After my first treatment nearly 3 years ago I walked through 3 airports on the way home and then did a lot of things I should not have been doing in the way of exercise. I certainly did not wait 6 weeks. I would echo your advice to all following your doctors advice after treatment may be as important as the treatment itself. Do you know if the settings you use in Canada are different from those the FDA has established in the U.S.?