Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PT for pf

Posted by jules on 4/06/02 at 22:55 (078731)

For PF Iv'e had taping done, night splint, and pt (iontophoresis, ultrasound, stretching). I'm still in pain. I've also tried OTC orthotics.

Is it unusual for physical therapy to not be of help?

Thanks
Jules

Re: PT for pf

Carmen on 4/08/02 at 10:08 (078811)

For some it doesn't even relieve the uncomfortableness. So you're not alone...Are you wearing good shoes? Not going barefoot? Icing and stretching? Are you on NSAIDS?
How long have you had this?

Rich on 4/08/02 at 10:10 (078812)

Not to discourage you, but I had a similar experience. PT on my left foot helped along with a cortizone shot. Of course, ice and stretching too. My right foot later developed PF and I tried the shot first, lasted three days. Then went into PT (everything you mentioned above, including ice massage and deep tissue massage). Very minimal relief this time. I have been in a cam walker for four weeks and now on crutches for non-weight bearing on the right foot. Exhaust all conservative means of treatment possible....I'm working on patience right now!!!

jules on 4/08/02 at 14:58 (078831)

I am wearing athlete shoes and not goin barefoot. I have been stretching and using ice on my feet. Still pain. I have been hurting every since October. Medication did not help me either. I wonder if custom orthotics would help? Do you think? Thanks for responding.
Jules

jules on 4/08/02 at 15:00 (078832)

Have you tried custom orthotics? I am going to ask about it. Thanks for your response.
Jules

EKC on 4/09/02 at 10:30 (078921)

I had 5 months of PT. Thought it was helping in month 3. But went downhill after that.
So, conclusion is that it did not help. I also had Ultrasound, ElecStim, Stretching, ice. etc.

Re: Question ofr Rich

Becky on 4/09/02 at 12:49 (078935)

Hello Rich -
I have had PF for ten months, started in my left moved into my right as well. Not too painful in mornin but a night it is - by the end of day standing on my feet is unbearable, i teach and coach - it's impossible to stay off my feet. standing on the courts at the end of the day is horrible. I finally tried a shot in my left heal yesterday and the pain is worse. Please share your experiences with the shots as my doctors are not answering my questions. I keep hearing people say 'imeediate releif' why do I still feel pain??

Rich on 4/09/02 at 16:15 (078955)

I just saw another post answered by the doc's. See above...something about steroid reaction. The shots for me initially felt numb through the first evening. My pod uses a freezing spray prior to needle insertion, just feels like pin pricks as it thaws out. MY left foot shot gave relief and lasted. My right foot shot lasted exactly three days and the pain came back just as bad as before. My pod is very conservative about the shots and doesn't want to try it again due to my experience. It can eventually weaken the fascia or dull the pain so much that you overdo it and chance a rupture. If your doc is not answering your question, seek another doc. I would make a list of all my questions, let him know that you are doing research on the net. If he is unwilling to work with you, definetly find another doc. Lots of people do report immediate relief, however not all treatments work the same on all of us. I was surprised myself that the second foot did not respond like the first, and disappointed! I recommend icing at least twice a day and non-weight bearing exercises to stretch, and never go barefoot! Good Luck!

Rich on 4/09/02 at 16:23 (078956)

Sorry...didn't realize that was your post....where's my sign? LOL

Rachael T. on 4/09/02 at 21:34 (079002)

Becky - I sympathize w/ you as I understand....I am a prof. horse trainer & coach riders -- standing!! And, of course, iron pressure w/ riding is another painful task; which I've put on hold for a while - but it seems like the pain subsides & then, re-happens. Take some time off & TRY to coach sitting - UGH, I have a difficult time w/ that - but I am trying to do that some.
Good luck!

grant on 4/14/02 at 07:54 (079588)

Have you tried tapping and anti-inflamm meds?

Carmen on 4/08/02 at 10:08 (078811)

For some it doesn't even relieve the uncomfortableness. So you're not alone...Are you wearing good shoes? Not going barefoot? Icing and stretching? Are you on NSAIDS?
How long have you had this?

Rich on 4/08/02 at 10:10 (078812)

Not to discourage you, but I had a similar experience. PT on my left foot helped along with a cortizone shot. Of course, ice and stretching too. My right foot later developed PF and I tried the shot first, lasted three days. Then went into PT (everything you mentioned above, including ice massage and deep tissue massage). Very minimal relief this time. I have been in a cam walker for four weeks and now on crutches for non-weight bearing on the right foot. Exhaust all conservative means of treatment possible....I'm working on patience right now!!!

jules on 4/08/02 at 14:58 (078831)

I am wearing athlete shoes and not goin barefoot. I have been stretching and using ice on my feet. Still pain. I have been hurting every since October. Medication did not help me either. I wonder if custom orthotics would help? Do you think? Thanks for responding.
Jules

jules on 4/08/02 at 15:00 (078832)

Have you tried custom orthotics? I am going to ask about it. Thanks for your response.
Jules

EKC on 4/09/02 at 10:30 (078921)

I had 5 months of PT. Thought it was helping in month 3. But went downhill after that.
So, conclusion is that it did not help. I also had Ultrasound, ElecStim, Stretching, ice. etc.

Becky on 4/09/02 at 12:49 (078935)

Hello Rich -
I have had PF for ten months, started in my left moved into my right as well. Not too painful in mornin but a night it is - by the end of day standing on my feet is unbearable, i teach and coach - it's impossible to stay off my feet. standing on the courts at the end of the day is horrible. I finally tried a shot in my left heal yesterday and the pain is worse. Please share your experiences with the shots as my doctors are not answering my questions. I keep hearing people say 'imeediate releif' why do I still feel pain??

Rich on 4/09/02 at 16:15 (078955)

I just saw another post answered by the doc's. See above...something about steroid reaction. The shots for me initially felt numb through the first evening. My pod uses a freezing spray prior to needle insertion, just feels like pin pricks as it thaws out. MY left foot shot gave relief and lasted. My right foot shot lasted exactly three days and the pain came back just as bad as before. My pod is very conservative about the shots and doesn't want to try it again due to my experience. It can eventually weaken the fascia or dull the pain so much that you overdo it and chance a rupture. If your doc is not answering your question, seek another doc. I would make a list of all my questions, let him know that you are doing research on the net. If he is unwilling to work with you, definetly find another doc. Lots of people do report immediate relief, however not all treatments work the same on all of us. I was surprised myself that the second foot did not respond like the first, and disappointed! I recommend icing at least twice a day and non-weight bearing exercises to stretch, and never go barefoot! Good Luck!

Rich on 4/09/02 at 16:23 (078956)

Sorry...didn't realize that was your post....where's my sign? LOL

Rachael T. on 4/09/02 at 21:34 (079002)

Becky - I sympathize w/ you as I understand....I am a prof. horse trainer & coach riders -- standing!! And, of course, iron pressure w/ riding is another painful task; which I've put on hold for a while - but it seems like the pain subsides & then, re-happens. Take some time off & TRY to coach sitting - UGH, I have a difficult time w/ that - but I am trying to do that some.
Good luck!

grant on 4/14/02 at 07:54 (079588)

Have you tried tapping and anti-inflamm meds?