Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

OssaTron Anesthesia ?

Posted by BrianG on 4/07/02 at 21:12 (078781)

JohnH and I have been having a little discussion. Could someone please explain, in layman's terms, what type of anesthesia is used when getting an OssaTron treatment? And typically, how long would a foot be numb after treatment?

Thanks
BrianG

Re: OssaTron Anesthesia ?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/07/02 at 22:11 (078785)

It is IV sedation with a local foot block. Some will give general but it is usually IV sedation. So what this means is a drug is place thru an IV which makes you very very sleepy. Then a local block. You are kept very very sleepy during the block and during the ESWT procedure. The procedure lasts about fifteen minutes. The local block lasts two hours plus

john h on 4/08/02 at 10:24 (078815)

Brian: I think I could achieve the twylight experience you get with the IV sedation with three martinis. This would be less expensive, more enjoyable,and less of a risk. Another point: Bayshore when using the OssaTron for non union fractures does use anathesia. About 5 years ago I experienced a kidney stone which resulted in me having lipotripsy (a form of ESWT). Although it was covered by insurance the bills from all involved amounted to over $9000. Bayshore informed me their charge for Lipotripsy was $1500.

Re: Why a general for ESWT?

BrianG on 4/08/02 at 16:58 (078847)

I can't imagine anyone getting general anesthetic for ESWT. Could it be that some people might be so 'nervous' the doctor decides that general is best? With a local, at least the one I had, there was no pain at all, and the doc was cutting me. I don't see how ESWT could be more painful than surgery. Just doesn't make sense to me.

BrianG

PS: John, I can see where a local would not be effecive, in the stomach area. I bet that was more than a 3 martini procedure :*)

John h on 4/08/02 at 17:22 (078851)

Brian: for a kindney stone they put you tatally under and i mean way under. i suspect the power of the lipotriptor far exceeds that of a Ossatron. At one time they used to submerge you in a big container of water now days (at least in my case) they just put you on a table and with the aid of what i assmume is a flouroscope or x-ray blast aways the kidney stone with many pulses. you are not in pain after the procedure but you are sure tired.

cindy E. on 4/10/02 at 21:43 (079163)

I HAD THIS DONE A LITTLE OVER 2 WEEKS AGO AND THEY USED A GENERAL ANESTHESIA AND AN ANKLE BLOCK. THEY SAID IT WAS A LIGHT' GENERAL ANESTHESIA . I WAS GLAD! I DIDN'T WANT TO FEEL ANYTHING! I'VE HEARD THE ANKLE BLOCK IS EXTREMLY PAINFUL AND SHOULD HAVE SOME KIND OF ANESTHESIA TO ADMINISTER THE BLOCK. THE GENERAL ANES. WAS NO BIG DEAL. JUST A LITTLE GROGGY FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS.

JudyS on 4/11/02 at 10:12 (079218)

I was just noticing Cindy's post here about her Ossatron treatment. She said she had both an ankle block and a general anesthesia.
Given the many conversations that have taken place here in the last year or two on the subject of anesthesia for ESWT, doesn't that seem like overkill?

John h on 4/11/02 at 17:25 (079322)

Judy: I think that is the common practice and you bet it is overkill.

Re: Cindy, did you have a choice?

BrianG on 4/11/02 at 22:25 (079372)

This is what I don't understand. Does everyone who gets the OssaTron treatment have both general, and a local block? Or do they decide what to give on a case by case basis? Did you have a choice, Cindy?

I'm thinking they may want to knock you out a bit (general) so that you won't feel the needle stick from the local block?

BrianG

Mary Beth S on 4/12/02 at 21:04 (079500)

I don't understand what the deal is all about with an ankle block. I had both of my feet done 3 weeks ago by Dr. Z and it was no big deal. Just make sure the point of insertion is frozen before the injection and you're fine. MB

cindy E. on 4/18/02 at 07:17 (080097)

I'M NOT SURE WHY THEY DID A GENERAL OTHER THAN I'VE HEARD IT IS VERY PAINFUL. THATS OK. I DIDN'T WANT TO FEEL ANYTHING!!

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/07/02 at 22:11 (078785)

It is IV sedation with a local foot block. Some will give general but it is usually IV sedation. So what this means is a drug is place thru an IV which makes you very very sleepy. Then a local block. You are kept very very sleepy during the block and during the ESWT procedure. The procedure lasts about fifteen minutes. The local block lasts two hours plus

john h on 4/08/02 at 10:24 (078815)

Brian: I think I could achieve the twylight experience you get with the IV sedation with three martinis. This would be less expensive, more enjoyable,and less of a risk. Another point: Bayshore when using the OssaTron for non union fractures does use anathesia. About 5 years ago I experienced a kidney stone which resulted in me having lipotripsy (a form of ESWT). Although it was covered by insurance the bills from all involved amounted to over $9000. Bayshore informed me their charge for Lipotripsy was $1500.

BrianG on 4/08/02 at 16:58 (078847)

I can't imagine anyone getting general anesthetic for ESWT. Could it be that some people might be so 'nervous' the doctor decides that general is best? With a local, at least the one I had, there was no pain at all, and the doc was cutting me. I don't see how ESWT could be more painful than surgery. Just doesn't make sense to me.

BrianG

PS: John, I can see where a local would not be effecive, in the stomach area. I bet that was more than a 3 martini procedure :*)

John h on 4/08/02 at 17:22 (078851)

Brian: for a kindney stone they put you tatally under and i mean way under. i suspect the power of the lipotriptor far exceeds that of a Ossatron. At one time they used to submerge you in a big container of water now days (at least in my case) they just put you on a table and with the aid of what i assmume is a flouroscope or x-ray blast aways the kidney stone with many pulses. you are not in pain after the procedure but you are sure tired.

cindy E. on 4/10/02 at 21:43 (079163)

I HAD THIS DONE A LITTLE OVER 2 WEEKS AGO AND THEY USED A GENERAL ANESTHESIA AND AN ANKLE BLOCK. THEY SAID IT WAS A LIGHT' GENERAL ANESTHESIA . I WAS GLAD! I DIDN'T WANT TO FEEL ANYTHING! I'VE HEARD THE ANKLE BLOCK IS EXTREMLY PAINFUL AND SHOULD HAVE SOME KIND OF ANESTHESIA TO ADMINISTER THE BLOCK. THE GENERAL ANES. WAS NO BIG DEAL. JUST A LITTLE GROGGY FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS.

JudyS on 4/11/02 at 10:12 (079218)

I was just noticing Cindy's post here about her Ossatron treatment. She said she had both an ankle block and a general anesthesia.
Given the many conversations that have taken place here in the last year or two on the subject of anesthesia for ESWT, doesn't that seem like overkill?

John h on 4/11/02 at 17:25 (079322)

Judy: I think that is the common practice and you bet it is overkill.

BrianG on 4/11/02 at 22:25 (079372)

This is what I don't understand. Does everyone who gets the OssaTron treatment have both general, and a local block? Or do they decide what to give on a case by case basis? Did you have a choice, Cindy?

I'm thinking they may want to knock you out a bit (general) so that you won't feel the needle stick from the local block?

BrianG

Mary Beth S on 4/12/02 at 21:04 (079500)

I don't understand what the deal is all about with an ankle block. I had both of my feet done 3 weeks ago by Dr. Z and it was no big deal. Just make sure the point of insertion is frozen before the injection and you're fine. MB

cindy E. on 4/18/02 at 07:17 (080097)

I'M NOT SURE WHY THEY DID A GENERAL OTHER THAN I'VE HEARD IT IS VERY PAINFUL. THATS OK. I DIDN'T WANT TO FEEL ANYTHING!!