Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantars wort

Posted by evie w on 4/07/02 at 22:38 (078787)

i have had a plantars wort on the bottom of my heel for about eight months now. I have never ad one before, i need to know if there is a possibility of them going away on their own, and if not what willl happen if untreated? also is their any other options at this point besides laser surgery, i heard it was highly painful?

evie

Re: plantars wort

Rick R on 4/08/02 at 07:41 (078797)

evie,

I just got rid of one about 4 months ago. I used the over the counter ointment, the name of which I can't remember. My sister, the nurse, told me not to waste my time and to go to the dermitologist so of course it became a matter of principle. The instructions suggest to apply the stuff two times a day but who has the time! I used it only at night before bed for about 4 weeks. Before every application I used a sharp knife and sliced away the dead layers and dug away a bit. Home surgery , got to love it. I think this makes a big difference. I also ended up modifying an insole by cutting a hole and adding a piece of leather in which I cut a hole, to relieve the pressure. I hope this helps.

Rick

wendyn on 4/08/02 at 07:49 (078798)

We used Dr Scholls wart pads on my son. You just stick a little medicine pad on, and a cushion over top. Took several weeks, but it worked.

wendyn on 4/08/02 at 07:51 (078799)

I understand that most warts go away eventually on their own, but there is the chance they can spread if you don't treat them.

I believe the surgery is kind of an 'if all else fails' thing. Try the over the counter stuff first.

Rick R on 4/08/02 at 08:18 (078805)

One of my daughters had a few back when she was about 10 and the doctor froze them off which was no big deal, probably because it wasn't me. I think surgery is perhaps a bit of an imposing term for what they would actually do. My wife, being of the tougher gender, just carved hers out. I'm not sure how since I try to keep her away from sharp objects. Gee we must sound like an attractive clan!

Re: plantar warts

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/08/02 at 16:38 (078843)

Plantar warts are caused by a virus, and as a result can be very resistant to treatment. They are called plantar warts because 'plantar' means the bottom of the foot. Therefore, the only place you can have plantar warts, is on the sole of the foot. Without any treatment, warts will usually disappear in approximately 18 months. Treatments vary and can include cryotherapy (freezing), electrical dessication (burning), over-the-counter chemicals, chemicals applied by the doctor in the office, Carbon dioxide laser, pulsed dye laser, surgical removal, oral Tagamet (yes the same medication used for ulcers), topical antivirals,etc. There are some newer topical medications such as Aldara cream and Carac that show some promise. The bottom line is that no treatment works all the time and warts often recur. I highly recommend that you see a podiatrist or dermatologist to make sure that what you are treating is actually a wart. I've had many patients come to my office with a complaint of a wart, when in fact the lesion was not a wart. Get it checked out before treatment.

evie w on 4/09/02 at 21:58 (079005)

EEEEEW, THATS GROSSS!!!!!!! MIND YOU I AM ONLY 22, AND WELLL I LOVE BLOOD AND GORE AND STUFF, BUT I DEFFINATELY DO NOT HAVE, WHATS THE WORD I AM LOOKING FOR? OK I WILL BE POLITE, I DON'T THINK I HAVE THE STOMACH FOR AT HOME SURGERY...ANYWAY I DID TRY THOSE UMM DR SHOLES THINGS, AND ONE GOT STUCK AND WOULD NOT COME OFF, AND THEN IT STARTED BLEEDING. ANYWAY THANKS FOR THE INFO I WILL TRY THE OINTMENT, THEN MAYBE DOPE UP ON SOME ALCOHOL AND LET MY LITTLE BROTHER PLAY WITH A KNIFE ON IT. WHO KNOWS.....

evie w on 4/09/02 at 22:01 (079006)

YEAH, UMMM SURGERY.... I STILLL STICK TO THE OPINION OF GROSS. I THINK THESE THINGS ARE SICK, THEY ARE UGLY AND I JUST WANT TO CHOP MY WHOLE FOOT OFF...I HOPE IT WILL GO AWAY ON ITS OWN...

evie w on 4/09/02 at 22:05 (079007)

YEAH, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS NOT TO BE ALOWD NEAR SHARP OBJECTS...I AM A DANGEROUS ONE....THEY WON'T EVEN LET ME NEAR PENCILS AT WORK. WHEN I WAS IN MY TEENS I WOULD NOT HAVE THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT IT AND DUG IT OUT. I MEAN A I SURGICALLY REMOVED A STONE LODGED IN MY OWN KNEE CAP ONCE, WHILE MY FATHER TURNED GREEN AND PASSED OUT TRYING NOT TO WATCH. I WAS IN FOR ALL THAT 'LETS SEE HOW MANY ADULTS YOU CAN MAKE SICK'STUFF...

evie w on 4/09/02 at 22:08 (079009)

THANKS FOR THE INFO DOC. I AM 99.9% SURE IT IS ONE THOUGH CAUSE MY LITTLE SISTER HAD ONE LIKE A MONTH BEFORE ME. SHE WAS SHOVING IT IN MY FACE AND SHOWING IT OFF, LIKE SOME PRIZE SHE HAD ONE. ANYWAY I THINK I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND GET IT CHECKED OUT JUST TO MAKE SURE IT IS WHAT I THINK IT IS. IT IS GETTING REALLY ANNOYING.

Rick R on 4/08/02 at 07:41 (078797)

evie,

I just got rid of one about 4 months ago. I used the over the counter ointment, the name of which I can't remember. My sister, the nurse, told me not to waste my time and to go to the dermitologist so of course it became a matter of principle. The instructions suggest to apply the stuff two times a day but who has the time! I used it only at night before bed for about 4 weeks. Before every application I used a sharp knife and sliced away the dead layers and dug away a bit. Home surgery , got to love it. I think this makes a big difference. I also ended up modifying an insole by cutting a hole and adding a piece of leather in which I cut a hole, to relieve the pressure. I hope this helps.

Rick

wendyn on 4/08/02 at 07:49 (078798)

We used Dr Scholls wart pads on my son. You just stick a little medicine pad on, and a cushion over top. Took several weeks, but it worked.

wendyn on 4/08/02 at 07:51 (078799)

I understand that most warts go away eventually on their own, but there is the chance they can spread if you don't treat them.

I believe the surgery is kind of an 'if all else fails' thing. Try the over the counter stuff first.

Rick R on 4/08/02 at 08:18 (078805)

One of my daughters had a few back when she was about 10 and the doctor froze them off which was no big deal, probably because it wasn't me. I think surgery is perhaps a bit of an imposing term for what they would actually do. My wife, being of the tougher gender, just carved hers out. I'm not sure how since I try to keep her away from sharp objects. Gee we must sound like an attractive clan!

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/08/02 at 16:38 (078843)

Plantar warts are caused by a virus, and as a result can be very resistant to treatment. They are called plantar warts because 'plantar' means the bottom of the foot. Therefore, the only place you can have plantar warts, is on the sole of the foot. Without any treatment, warts will usually disappear in approximately 18 months. Treatments vary and can include cryotherapy (freezing), electrical dessication (burning), over-the-counter chemicals, chemicals applied by the doctor in the office, Carbon dioxide laser, pulsed dye laser, surgical removal, oral Tagamet (yes the same medication used for ulcers), topical antivirals,etc. There are some newer topical medications such as Aldara cream and Carac that show some promise. The bottom line is that no treatment works all the time and warts often recur. I highly recommend that you see a podiatrist or dermatologist to make sure that what you are treating is actually a wart. I've had many patients come to my office with a complaint of a wart, when in fact the lesion was not a wart. Get it checked out before treatment.

evie w on 4/09/02 at 21:58 (079005)

EEEEEW, THATS GROSSS!!!!!!! MIND YOU I AM ONLY 22, AND WELLL I LOVE BLOOD AND GORE AND STUFF, BUT I DEFFINATELY DO NOT HAVE, WHATS THE WORD I AM LOOKING FOR? OK I WILL BE POLITE, I DON'T THINK I HAVE THE STOMACH FOR AT HOME SURGERY...ANYWAY I DID TRY THOSE UMM DR SHOLES THINGS, AND ONE GOT STUCK AND WOULD NOT COME OFF, AND THEN IT STARTED BLEEDING. ANYWAY THANKS FOR THE INFO I WILL TRY THE OINTMENT, THEN MAYBE DOPE UP ON SOME ALCOHOL AND LET MY LITTLE BROTHER PLAY WITH A KNIFE ON IT. WHO KNOWS.....

evie w on 4/09/02 at 22:01 (079006)

YEAH, UMMM SURGERY.... I STILLL STICK TO THE OPINION OF GROSS. I THINK THESE THINGS ARE SICK, THEY ARE UGLY AND I JUST WANT TO CHOP MY WHOLE FOOT OFF...I HOPE IT WILL GO AWAY ON ITS OWN...

evie w on 4/09/02 at 22:05 (079007)

YEAH, I KNOW HOW IT FEELS NOT TO BE ALOWD NEAR SHARP OBJECTS...I AM A DANGEROUS ONE....THEY WON'T EVEN LET ME NEAR PENCILS AT WORK. WHEN I WAS IN MY TEENS I WOULD NOT HAVE THOUGHT TWICE ABOUT IT AND DUG IT OUT. I MEAN A I SURGICALLY REMOVED A STONE LODGED IN MY OWN KNEE CAP ONCE, WHILE MY FATHER TURNED GREEN AND PASSED OUT TRYING NOT TO WATCH. I WAS IN FOR ALL THAT 'LETS SEE HOW MANY ADULTS YOU CAN MAKE SICK'STUFF...

evie w on 4/09/02 at 22:08 (079009)

THANKS FOR THE INFO DOC. I AM 99.9% SURE IT IS ONE THOUGH CAUSE MY LITTLE SISTER HAD ONE LIKE A MONTH BEFORE ME. SHE WAS SHOVING IT IN MY FACE AND SHOWING IT OFF, LIKE SOME PRIZE SHE HAD ONE. ANYWAY I THINK I WILL TAKE YOUR ADVICE AND GET IT CHECKED OUT JUST TO MAKE SURE IT IS WHAT I THINK IT IS. IT IS GETTING REALLY ANNOYING.