Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Broken baby toe

Posted by Sharon D. on 4/08/02 at 09:01 (078806)

It has taken more than 2 months to heal and i am on my feet all the time, cuz i am in retail and by the end of day my toe is very swollen, my doctor wants to give me cortizone shots in toe to get the swelling down, will i ever be able to wear normal shoes again and not be in pain.

Re: Broken baby toe

CatherineL on 4/08/02 at 15:54 (078838)

Not a dr., but went through similar experience twice...

Both times, I did not take the time to heal. I was working and couldn't afford the time off. The second time, I was on crutches for a few weeks, and hobbled for months. I took almost a year before I could resume wearing my usual footwear.

They key is to stay off it as much as possible... also if you could go for phisio, they may be able to help by building-up a pair of shoe inserts to take the pressure off that toe.

catherine

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/08/02 at 16:30 (078841)

Broken 5th (baby) toes, often take quite a while to feel better due to some localized swelling and irritation from shoes. The swelling isn't as much as you think, it's just that the toe is so small, even a little swelling seem to make the toe very big. If the fracture is healed, a cortisone injection can often provide dramatic relief and reduce the swelling and discomfort. After the injection, I often wrap the toe with a produce such as Coban (ask your doctor) to compress the area. Additionally, you must resist wearing tight, irritating shoes. Be patient, it will get better.

paula on 4/14/02 at 00:51 (079582)

they gave me a rocker boot shoe thing for my baby toe fracture. it really helped.

CatherineL on 4/08/02 at 15:54 (078838)

Not a dr., but went through similar experience twice...

Both times, I did not take the time to heal. I was working and couldn't afford the time off. The second time, I was on crutches for a few weeks, and hobbled for months. I took almost a year before I could resume wearing my usual footwear.

They key is to stay off it as much as possible... also if you could go for phisio, they may be able to help by building-up a pair of shoe inserts to take the pressure off that toe.

catherine

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/08/02 at 16:30 (078841)

Broken 5th (baby) toes, often take quite a while to feel better due to some localized swelling and irritation from shoes. The swelling isn't as much as you think, it's just that the toe is so small, even a little swelling seem to make the toe very big. If the fracture is healed, a cortisone injection can often provide dramatic relief and reduce the swelling and discomfort. After the injection, I often wrap the toe with a produce such as Coban (ask your doctor) to compress the area. Additionally, you must resist wearing tight, irritating shoes. Be patient, it will get better.

paula on 4/14/02 at 00:51 (079582)

they gave me a rocker boot shoe thing for my baby toe fracture. it really helped.