Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Use of crutches

Posted by Rich on 4/08/02 at 10:01 (078809)

Okay, I have a question for anyone using crutches. I've done a search, but no answers. I was put in a cam walker about four weeks ago. After my MRI last week showed nothing specific, I was put on crutches and two weeks non-weight bearing on the foot. I am having a very hard time getting around. Anyone have any suggestions for getting adjusted? My boot is so heavy that it tends to swing forward when I try to take a step with the crutches. My hands and underarms are soooo tender I hesitate to get up on the crutches unless absolutly necessary. Thanks!!

Re: Use of crutches

Carmen on 4/08/02 at 10:06 (078810)

Been on them before with a heavy plaster cast...what a pain. BUT you can wrap towels around the tops of the pads......looks crazy but it worked. Also make sure you strengthen your wrists by doing some rotating and felxing...the crutches will take a toll on them.
Your foot might be swinging forward more than usual also b/c you may be trying to go to fast? Try taking slow and easy steps and keep your knee bent and held to your leg to control it.
Try using an aloe cream or something uner your arms to soothe the chafing effect that is making things worse....
someone else might have better ideas....?
good luck!

john h on 4/08/02 at 10:45 (078818)

When I first used crutches I did a search on the web under 'curtches'. You will find a number of sites that will give you precise instructions on how to adjust your crutches and how to use them. If you have never used them this is a problem and you can do some damage to nerves under your arms if you use them improperly.

Re: Thanks Carmen and John

Rich on 4/10/02 at 08:31 (079037)

Thanks for the suggestions. I did an online search, along with Carmen's advice to take smaller steps and it's getting better. Too much in a hurry all the time, and for what? I'm not going anywhere! LOL

Also, my hubby used some pipe insulation on the hand grips...you know, that foam tube stuff, he just cut it to length and split one side and it slipped right on. I just wish it would fit on top for under the arms. My niece suggested ponytail holders to hold towels in place. But, hubby is big fan of duct tape! I know several readers who will appreciate that one!! (I confess, we are in the A/C & Heating business, so this stuff is around all the time!)

Have a great day...it's bright and sunny here in the south!
Rich

john h on 4/10/02 at 09:33 (079043)

http://physicalthearpy.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Use_crutches_Walk0962935005.htm?1AM=sherlock_abc&terms=crutche

if this long URL works it will be amazing. it is how to use crutches.

john h on 4/10/02 at 09:38 (079044)

As I expected my long URL did not work so go to :
http://physicaltherapy.about.com/index.htm

when you get there enter Crutches under their search file and you will find all you want to know about using crutches.

Re: John....

Rich on 4/10/02 at 10:29 (079051)

Thanks again John....some really good info here. The doc just said to use crutches, never gave any tips. The safety tips are really good. I am getting a little better, all things considered.

In just the few days (since Sat) that I have been on these, I see that it is helping relieve some of the inflamation. Of course, I try not to get up too much. Staying completely off this foot has been my hardest trial!

Hope you are having a great day!
Rich

Carmen on 4/10/02 at 14:00 (079084)

Glad you are getting relief!!!! Yes...sometimes we miss those small 'hints' to slow down. Unfortunately my hint was PF...and it wasn't small! ;-)

Janew on 4/18/02 at 00:57 (080081)

I was on crutches years ago in a full leg plaster cast. It must have weighed 60lbls. My two cents is to keep your underarms off the 'rests' you can cause real damage and will not have the right motion for good support. I used foam rubger on the handles and that helped some. I would also suggest taking rests as you go.

Carmen on 4/08/02 at 10:06 (078810)

Been on them before with a heavy plaster cast...what a pain. BUT you can wrap towels around the tops of the pads......looks crazy but it worked. Also make sure you strengthen your wrists by doing some rotating and felxing...the crutches will take a toll on them.
Your foot might be swinging forward more than usual also b/c you may be trying to go to fast? Try taking slow and easy steps and keep your knee bent and held to your leg to control it.
Try using an aloe cream or something uner your arms to soothe the chafing effect that is making things worse....
someone else might have better ideas....?
good luck!

john h on 4/08/02 at 10:45 (078818)

When I first used crutches I did a search on the web under 'curtches'. You will find a number of sites that will give you precise instructions on how to adjust your crutches and how to use them. If you have never used them this is a problem and you can do some damage to nerves under your arms if you use them improperly.

Rich on 4/10/02 at 08:31 (079037)

Thanks for the suggestions. I did an online search, along with Carmen's advice to take smaller steps and it's getting better. Too much in a hurry all the time, and for what? I'm not going anywhere! LOL

Also, my hubby used some pipe insulation on the hand grips...you know, that foam tube stuff, he just cut it to length and split one side and it slipped right on. I just wish it would fit on top for under the arms. My niece suggested ponytail holders to hold towels in place. But, hubby is big fan of duct tape! I know several readers who will appreciate that one!! (I confess, we are in the A/C & Heating business, so this stuff is around all the time!)

Have a great day...it's bright and sunny here in the south!
Rich

john h on 4/10/02 at 09:33 (079043)

http://physicalthearpy.about.com/c/ht/00/07/How_Use_crutches_Walk0962935005.htm?1AM=sherlock_abc&terms=crutche

if this long URL works it will be amazing. it is how to use crutches.

john h on 4/10/02 at 09:38 (079044)

As I expected my long URL did not work so go to :
http://physicaltherapy.about.com/index.htm

when you get there enter Crutches under their search file and you will find all you want to know about using crutches.

Re: John....

Rich on 4/10/02 at 10:29 (079051)

Thanks again John....some really good info here. The doc just said to use crutches, never gave any tips. The safety tips are really good. I am getting a little better, all things considered.

In just the few days (since Sat) that I have been on these, I see that it is helping relieve some of the inflamation. Of course, I try not to get up too much. Staying completely off this foot has been my hardest trial!

Hope you are having a great day!
Rich

Carmen on 4/10/02 at 14:00 (079084)

Glad you are getting relief!!!! Yes...sometimes we miss those small 'hints' to slow down. Unfortunately my hint was PF...and it wasn't small! ;-)

Janew on 4/18/02 at 00:57 (080081)

I was on crutches years ago in a full leg plaster cast. It must have weighed 60lbls. My two cents is to keep your underarms off the 'rests' you can cause real damage and will not have the right motion for good support. I used foam rubger on the handles and that helped some. I would also suggest taking rests as you go.