Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back of Heel Spurs/achellies tendon pain

Posted by Vicki B. on 4/09/02 at 11:28 (078926)

Have been having problem with the back of my heels causing much pain in the achellies tendon. I had injections once which relieved pain for about 3 months. Changed podiatrist due to ins. changes. She stated injections can cause the tendon to rupture. Don't want that. She didn't recommend injections for that reason. Tried medrol pack for 6 days with no noticable changes. She has pretty much given me no hope at all. She didn't recommend surgery due to no guarantee the pain won't return after the surgery. She also said I would be in a cast for 6 months for each leg. I have to work so can't do that plus if it is going to come right back don't want to waste my time. Should I be stretching the tendon or am I doing more damage? Tried Vioxx, am alergic. Very depressing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks for your informative site.

Re: Back of Heel Spurs/achellies tendon pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/02 at 11:41 (078927)

We have been using ESWT for insertional achilles tenodonitis with or witout spur. If you would like informational let me know

Vicki B. on 4/09/02 at 19:57 (078988)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am very interested in ESWT or anything that might help. Thanks again.

sheri b. on 4/15/02 at 21:48 (079784)

Hi Vicki,
I had the surgery on my achellies tendon and back of heel on 1/3/02. My tendon was partially detached, repaired, the excess bone and spurs removed, then reattached with bone anchors. I was in a cast for 8 weeks, then a walking boot for 2-3 weeks. I am currently going to physical therapy and I believe I see much relief in sight. Now I have residual pain from the surgery, which I think is lessening each week. I also have some pain in my calf, due to the muscle being greatly diminished. I have been working out to try to build that back up. I am also doing LOTS of stretching exercises for both feet. The physical therapist said that it would help both feet. He said doing the stretches before surgery can greatly improve the results of the surgery. I hope to have the other foot done sometime next year.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Craig on 9/19/02 at 14:36 (095733)

I am an avid tennis player. I hurt my achelies tendon about 4 months ago, and have stayed off it since that time. It feels somewhat better, but there STILL is that sharp pain in that small area in the achellies when I test it out or walk too much. There is no way I can run or play competitve tennis. I miss that!
How long do these injuries take to heal? I am very frustrated and depressed. I missed the whole summer and still can't play.
I wear prescription orthodix (hard) and was streching (step strech). I had started to strenghten the other areas of my foot/ legs but it does not help.
I have no insurance, and do not have much money due to being layed off my job. I don't can't afford to spend the money to hear what I already know or can find on the internet.
Is there any hope? Or are my tennis days over?
Thanks!

Julie on 9/19/02 at 16:27 (095751)

Craig, people won't see your post unless you start a new thread. This one died in April! I saw it because I usually read 'All messages posted since last visit', but not everyone does.

Post a new message by clicking the box 'post a message' box.

As a starter answer, I'd advise you to stop stretching. Is the 'step stretch' you mention the one where you stand on a step and hang your heels off it? If so, it is almost certainly irritating your already injured achilles tendon. Any weightbearing stretching now is probably contrad-indicated for you.

Have you seen a podiatrist, and have you read the heel pain book?

Carol on 10/03/02 at 08:31 (096782)

Doctors get rich from Americans who think they have to run to them for every common foot injury. Don't believe this person who says that stretching the achilles tendon makes it worse. It's the ONLY THING THAT DOES WORK!

After I moved to Italy a year ago, I sustained an injury to my achilles tendon from some ill-fitting Italian shoes. My tendon had a big bump (knot) on it and it must have also caused nerve damage because I had neuritis (numbness) down the outside of my foot. I suffered with pain for four months and took a lot of Ibuprofen. Finally, I learned about the stretch/strengthening exercises that you do on a step. I got instant pain relief, the knot started to get smaller and smaller, the numbness went away and after two months or so all was back to normal. I did the exercises faithfully twice a day and am still doing them for strengthening of both achilles tendons.

Ten years ago, I did similar exercises, which I learned about from an honest physical therapist, for a badly sprained ankle and again, it was only afte I started doing those exercises that my ankle healed and became really strong.

Craig on 10/03/02 at 17:08 (096837)

Thanks Carol for your encougagement. I do agree about the Dr.thing. Why go and spend all that money (unemployed and no insurance) to hear what you already know, or can find on the internet? I've talked to so many, and have heard nothing new.
It's been over four months, and it is still bothering me. I tried all kinds of gentle stretches, and all they do is retear my achellies more. I'm giving it more rest before undergoing that dreaded knife. I don't think that will help either. I'm praying the rest will do the trick. Once it is better (if ever), then I'll stretch.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/09/02 at 11:41 (078927)

We have been using ESWT for insertional achilles tenodonitis with or witout spur. If you would like informational let me know

Vicki B. on 4/09/02 at 19:57 (078988)

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am very interested in ESWT or anything that might help. Thanks again.

sheri b. on 4/15/02 at 21:48 (079784)

Hi Vicki,
I had the surgery on my achellies tendon and back of heel on 1/3/02. My tendon was partially detached, repaired, the excess bone and spurs removed, then reattached with bone anchors. I was in a cast for 8 weeks, then a walking boot for 2-3 weeks. I am currently going to physical therapy and I believe I see much relief in sight. Now I have residual pain from the surgery, which I think is lessening each week. I also have some pain in my calf, due to the muscle being greatly diminished. I have been working out to try to build that back up. I am also doing LOTS of stretching exercises for both feet. The physical therapist said that it would help both feet. He said doing the stretches before surgery can greatly improve the results of the surgery. I hope to have the other foot done sometime next year.
Good luck with whatever you decide!

Craig on 9/19/02 at 14:36 (095733)

I am an avid tennis player. I hurt my achelies tendon about 4 months ago, and have stayed off it since that time. It feels somewhat better, but there STILL is that sharp pain in that small area in the achellies when I test it out or walk too much. There is no way I can run or play competitve tennis. I miss that!
How long do these injuries take to heal? I am very frustrated and depressed. I missed the whole summer and still can't play.
I wear prescription orthodix (hard) and was streching (step strech). I had started to strenghten the other areas of my foot/ legs but it does not help.
I have no insurance, and do not have much money due to being layed off my job. I don't can't afford to spend the money to hear what I already know or can find on the internet.
Is there any hope? Or are my tennis days over?
Thanks!

Julie on 9/19/02 at 16:27 (095751)

Craig, people won't see your post unless you start a new thread. This one died in April! I saw it because I usually read 'All messages posted since last visit', but not everyone does.

Post a new message by clicking the box 'post a message' box.

As a starter answer, I'd advise you to stop stretching. Is the 'step stretch' you mention the one where you stand on a step and hang your heels off it? If so, it is almost certainly irritating your already injured achilles tendon. Any weightbearing stretching now is probably contrad-indicated for you.

Have you seen a podiatrist, and have you read the heel pain book?

Carol on 10/03/02 at 08:31 (096782)

Doctors get rich from Americans who think they have to run to them for every common foot injury. Don't believe this person who says that stretching the achilles tendon makes it worse. It's the ONLY THING THAT DOES WORK!

After I moved to Italy a year ago, I sustained an injury to my achilles tendon from some ill-fitting Italian shoes. My tendon had a big bump (knot) on it and it must have also caused nerve damage because I had neuritis (numbness) down the outside of my foot. I suffered with pain for four months and took a lot of Ibuprofen. Finally, I learned about the stretch/strengthening exercises that you do on a step. I got instant pain relief, the knot started to get smaller and smaller, the numbness went away and after two months or so all was back to normal. I did the exercises faithfully twice a day and am still doing them for strengthening of both achilles tendons.

Ten years ago, I did similar exercises, which I learned about from an honest physical therapist, for a badly sprained ankle and again, it was only afte I started doing those exercises that my ankle healed and became really strong.

Craig on 10/03/02 at 17:08 (096837)

Thanks Carol for your encougagement. I do agree about the Dr.thing. Why go and spend all that money (unemployed and no insurance) to hear what you already know, or can find on the internet? I've talked to so many, and have heard nothing new.
It's been over four months, and it is still bothering me. I tried all kinds of gentle stretches, and all they do is retear my achellies more. I'm giving it more rest before undergoing that dreaded knife. I don't think that will help either. I'm praying the rest will do the trick. Once it is better (if ever), then I'll stretch.

Calvin on 4/17/07 at 23:37 (228023)

Hi

If you have information on this topic that you can mail, please do.
cajunkid01 at yahoo.com

susie g on 6/02/09 at 20:17 (257906)

Hi I had achellies tendon surgery to repair a tear and remove spur I was in a cast for eight months and a boot for 4 and a afo for 1 year. I am still having problems and it has been almost 3 years I was out of work for a year and 3 months and returned still in pain.I am currently seeing a doctor that says i have another spur and even if i have surgery again to remove it I would probably still have the pain and it would weaken the achellies becaus eit would have to be deached to remove the spur.I would get seveeral opions before surgery

Dr. Z on 6/02/09 at 20:23 (257907)

HI
You may be a very good candidate for ESWT. This is a non-invasive procedure that I have personally used over the past ten years even with failed surgical for the Achilles tenodon. Usually the 'spur ' has nothing to do with your tendon pain. It can do degneration of the tendon fibers that insert or attach to the back of the heel. ESWT can be very effective. Search for ESWT on the internet or this site. Happy to try and answer any questions you may have