Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

AcutePF

Posted by RhondaR on 4/09/02 at 12:09 (078931)

I was diagnosed with PF almost two years ago after going to the doctor for what I thought was arthritis. He prescribed Vioxx, gave me some exercises to strengthen my calves and achilles tendon, told me to wear a good heel pad and told me to limit my strenous activities. I did this and it was working. During this time I worked eight to ten hours a day on my feet and never missed a day of work. I had pain in the morning when I first went to see him but this decreased over the next few months. Three or four months later I had stopped taking the Vioxx but was still limiting any strenous activities. I was feeling very good.
I suffered an injury while walking uphill that caused me quite a bit of pain that increased over the next few days. I went to the doctor who was not the same one I had previously seen. He said I had aggravated the PF and started me on Vioxx and Ultram and limited my sanding and walking to four hours a day. Unfortunately my employer did not heed this medical advice. Three weeks later the doctor, stating 'don't they get it?' took me off work. He said that 'due to continual weight-bearing the condition has become acute.' That was July 2000. I have not worked since, suffer terrible pain, have tried every treatment short of ESWT and surgery. I tried to have ESWT but my insurance carrier would not cover it despite my doctor saying I was the perfect candidate for it. (He does not perform the treatment himself so he was not trying to get it for me for monetary reasons.) I stay at home at least 90% of the time because it is too hard to go out. I suffer the consquences if I do. Obviously this has had a major impact on my finacial and emotional well-being. I now take Celexa for the depression.
Now (finally) for my question. This has developed into a Worker's Comp case. This is really a nightmare. My lawyer sends me to one doctor and their lawyers send me to another. While they try to battle it out legally my life is put on hold and slowly destroyed. My concern is just getting better. Here, finally is my question. Their doctor admits that I have this condition but says that I would have developed it any way even if I had not been injured. (This injury occured during a work-related conference on leadership building skills. The activities included uphill walking, rock climbing, biking, etc. I informed them of my condition and told them I could not do such strenous activities but they insisited I would be fine.) If I was already doing so much better and was not under a doctor's care any longer, never missed a day of work for years, limited all strenous activites, would this have happened? Would this condition have ultimately have become acute no matter what I did. To me this sounds as though any person who has PF will ultimately become severly disabled no matter what they do. Are there not people who have PF who eventually recover? I'm so tired of listening to both these doctors battle out my future. I'm just looking for a straight-forward answer from someone who is not biased.

Re: AcutePF

John k on 4/09/02 at 16:29 (078957)

Try to get your depression linked to the PF. You would be claiming compensation based on suffering depression as a consequence of PF and the pain and disability it has caused you. I am federal employee and I had my PF accepted as work related. They sent me to 2nd opinion doc but he agreed I had tarsal tunnel and PF. If you can draw a line between your pf and depression you might get some where. The situation is difficult and I know it.

Carmen on 4/09/02 at 18:36 (078970)

I am not sure anyone is going to be able to answer the question 'If I was already doing so much better and was not under a doctor's care any longer, never missed a day of work for years, limited all strenous activites, would this have happened?' PF happens for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes for NO reason at all...
I myself sit at a desk all day, and am very healthy....I got acute PF as well.....if I had been standing nad wlaking all day would this have happened? Maybe..maybe not. It's just a tough question.
No not everyone that gets PF becomes disabled. It can be cured very easily or take years. Depends on the person. It is a VERY individual condition. YES people with PF recover.....all the time.
I am not sure how your case turned into a WComp case...except that maybe they should have let you limit your standing and walking. The key words are 'let you' limit yourself. Did you insist on following the doctors orders?
The first thing I would do in your case would be to get myself to a Pod (one that is concerned with my well being and not his pocket....I can't believe he won't try and help you b/c he doesn't do the procedure...maybe he just is too busy to help you fight for it??) that is not involved in the legalities and get some treatment, PT or some program to start getting better again....

RhondaR on 4/10/02 at 13:13 (079078)

Believe me, everyone knows my depression is directly linked to the PF because of my inability to work. I am under the care of a psychiatrist and a therapist to work out my depression. I have not sought compensation for this through my work comp case because it will only delay it even longer and I just want it end. I'm only a few months away from finally going to trial for the PF. Where I'm from pain and suffering is not even considered in a Work Comp case so it would just be more aggravation for nothing. If I could have my PF treated and be able to live a more normal life the depression would lift. I think I can put all that I have lost in the past if I could just move forward with my future. My concern is really just to get the treatment I need for my PF. Thanks for your reply. All the doctors agree I have work related PF it's just a matter of accepting the reponsibilty and stopping all the delays. Their doctor is saying that it is CT (cummulative trauma) and they want my previous employer to split the settlement with them. I don't agree with this because my previous employer did not have me participate in strenous activites or not heed the advice of the doctors afterwards. Morally, I cannot bring blame on them.

RhondaR on 4/10/02 at 13:49 (079079)

You really did answer my question after all. Some people do recover from PF and all the time. This doctor is saying that no matter what I did I would have ended up like I am now and that just does not seem reasonable to me. I went from being physically capable of doing my job and enjoying my life with a mild degree pain that was getting better all the time (I took no pain medication at all and had not even taken an aspirin in seventeen years)to living on Vioxx and Ultram and unable to work.
It became a work comp case because the injury was incurred while attending a work-related conference. They had very physical activities that I stated on numerous occassions I was not physically able to do. I signed paperwork stating my condition. They insisted it was not stenous and that I would be fine. My job description included being on my feet for eight to ten hours a day and I was able to do that. It did not include hiking, biking, kayaking, or rock climbing. When their doctors put me on limited working they delayed and delayed doing that for just about three weeks while they went through risk management and the proper procedures. By this time I was hoppling into the doctor's office. I was on the phone with them and giving them the doctor's notes just about everyday. I told them the pain I was in and I constantly got excuses. It wasn't until the doctor took me off completly that they paid attention.
I did go see a private POD and felt he was helping but then because of my loss of income I was forced to move out of state and stay with family. The doctors here were also helpful. I feel they did everything they could and what is standard. They recommended ESWT but I could not get my insurer to cover it. I kept my Cobra Insurance for seventeen months, loosing my car to do this but finally had to give it up when the money ran out.
The doctors here are not afraid of the legalities and they did everything to try to help me. They would not be able to testify anyway because they are not from the state my case is in and they must be certified for that state. I had wonderful doctors and am thankful for all they did.
On the bright side, and yes there is one, I start college next month to study to be a graphic designer. The Vocational Rehabilitation Department in this state has helped me so much. They are paying for my therapist and as of next week I will be able to start seeing a doctor again. They are also getting me a 'Lark' so that I will be able to get around campus. My Social Security is also pending. So, I now have a future and if they would just get this darn case settled I could move on with my life.
Thanks for your reply.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/12/02 at 00:40 (079384)

In answer to your question, there are people with PF who do eventually recover. I don't know about the workman's comp issues.

Carole C

John k on 4/09/02 at 16:29 (078957)

Try to get your depression linked to the PF. You would be claiming compensation based on suffering depression as a consequence of PF and the pain and disability it has caused you. I am federal employee and I had my PF accepted as work related. They sent me to 2nd opinion doc but he agreed I had tarsal tunnel and PF. If you can draw a line between your pf and depression you might get some where. The situation is difficult and I know it.

Carmen on 4/09/02 at 18:36 (078970)

I am not sure anyone is going to be able to answer the question 'If I was already doing so much better and was not under a doctor's care any longer, never missed a day of work for years, limited all strenous activites, would this have happened?' PF happens for all kinds of reasons. Sometimes for NO reason at all...
I myself sit at a desk all day, and am very healthy....I got acute PF as well.....if I had been standing nad wlaking all day would this have happened? Maybe..maybe not. It's just a tough question.
No not everyone that gets PF becomes disabled. It can be cured very easily or take years. Depends on the person. It is a VERY individual condition. YES people with PF recover.....all the time.
I am not sure how your case turned into a WComp case...except that maybe they should have let you limit your standing and walking. The key words are 'let you' limit yourself. Did you insist on following the doctors orders?
The first thing I would do in your case would be to get myself to a Pod (one that is concerned with my well being and not his pocket....I can't believe he won't try and help you b/c he doesn't do the procedure...maybe he just is too busy to help you fight for it??) that is not involved in the legalities and get some treatment, PT or some program to start getting better again....

RhondaR on 4/10/02 at 13:13 (079078)

Believe me, everyone knows my depression is directly linked to the PF because of my inability to work. I am under the care of a psychiatrist and a therapist to work out my depression. I have not sought compensation for this through my work comp case because it will only delay it even longer and I just want it end. I'm only a few months away from finally going to trial for the PF. Where I'm from pain and suffering is not even considered in a Work Comp case so it would just be more aggravation for nothing. If I could have my PF treated and be able to live a more normal life the depression would lift. I think I can put all that I have lost in the past if I could just move forward with my future. My concern is really just to get the treatment I need for my PF. Thanks for your reply. All the doctors agree I have work related PF it's just a matter of accepting the reponsibilty and stopping all the delays. Their doctor is saying that it is CT (cummulative trauma) and they want my previous employer to split the settlement with them. I don't agree with this because my previous employer did not have me participate in strenous activites or not heed the advice of the doctors afterwards. Morally, I cannot bring blame on them.

RhondaR on 4/10/02 at 13:49 (079079)

You really did answer my question after all. Some people do recover from PF and all the time. This doctor is saying that no matter what I did I would have ended up like I am now and that just does not seem reasonable to me. I went from being physically capable of doing my job and enjoying my life with a mild degree pain that was getting better all the time (I took no pain medication at all and had not even taken an aspirin in seventeen years)to living on Vioxx and Ultram and unable to work.
It became a work comp case because the injury was incurred while attending a work-related conference. They had very physical activities that I stated on numerous occassions I was not physically able to do. I signed paperwork stating my condition. They insisted it was not stenous and that I would be fine. My job description included being on my feet for eight to ten hours a day and I was able to do that. It did not include hiking, biking, kayaking, or rock climbing. When their doctors put me on limited working they delayed and delayed doing that for just about three weeks while they went through risk management and the proper procedures. By this time I was hoppling into the doctor's office. I was on the phone with them and giving them the doctor's notes just about everyday. I told them the pain I was in and I constantly got excuses. It wasn't until the doctor took me off completly that they paid attention.
I did go see a private POD and felt he was helping but then because of my loss of income I was forced to move out of state and stay with family. The doctors here were also helpful. I feel they did everything they could and what is standard. They recommended ESWT but I could not get my insurer to cover it. I kept my Cobra Insurance for seventeen months, loosing my car to do this but finally had to give it up when the money ran out.
The doctors here are not afraid of the legalities and they did everything to try to help me. They would not be able to testify anyway because they are not from the state my case is in and they must be certified for that state. I had wonderful doctors and am thankful for all they did.
On the bright side, and yes there is one, I start college next month to study to be a graphic designer. The Vocational Rehabilitation Department in this state has helped me so much. They are paying for my therapist and as of next week I will be able to start seeing a doctor again. They are also getting me a 'Lark' so that I will be able to get around campus. My Social Security is also pending. So, I now have a future and if they would just get this darn case settled I could move on with my life.
Thanks for your reply.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/12/02 at 00:40 (079384)

In answer to your question, there are people with PF who do eventually recover. I don't know about the workman's comp issues.

Carole C