Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When to have ESWT

Posted by Pete R on 4/10/02 at 09:29 (079042)

I live in England and have found someone that does ESWT, although I don't yet know what machine is used or how many treatments are necessary etc.

Thanks to this site I have only in the last week started a rigorous stretching programme and have yesterday taken delivery of some new custom orthotics. I've had PF for 2 years.

Should I continue with the stretching programme and wear the orthotics in for a longer time (say, another month) before I have ESWT, or is it ok to proceed asap ?

Re: When to have ESWT

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/10/02 at 20:01 (079141)

The side effects of ESWT are almost nil so there is little harm in doing ESWT sooner than later although, ESWT was intended to be used for 'intractable' cases and as an alternative to surgery. You have just started conservative treatment so I would certainly consider waiting a couple months or so before considering ESWT.
Ed

Re: When to have ESWT

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/10/02 at 20:01 (079141)

The side effects of ESWT are almost nil so there is little harm in doing ESWT sooner than later although, ESWT was intended to be used for 'intractable' cases and as an alternative to surgery. You have just started conservative treatment so I would certainly consider waiting a couple months or so before considering ESWT.
Ed