Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The Wait is OVER for the Dreaded Event

Posted by Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 07:37 (079197)

Well, today I am supposed to go see my pod, after 6 weeks of waiting to get the NCV/EMG tests done and the results back, and after 5 weeks of wearing a walking cast. I am dreading it. I am fantasizing about just NOT GOING, although I know I WILL... I have been anxiously awaiting the results of those tests for 2 weeks since the neurologist didn't tell me anything, but now I'm scared to find out! For those of you who don't already know this, an MRI has already confirmed that I have PF (lots of fluid showed up in the area) and also my pod's TTS diagnosis (there is a varicose vein in my tarsal tunnel). But that doesn't mean I couldn't have something ELSE... and in fact, that's what my pod was talking about, the last time I saw her; that's why she sent me to the neurologist for the NCV and the EMG.

Does anybody have any quick advice for me this morning, like anything I need to be sure to ask (or ask FOR) when I see her?

-- Sharon

Re: The Wait is OVER for the Dreaded Event

wendyn on 4/11/02 at 07:45 (079198)

Take a deep breath. Then keep doing it - and try to relax.

I have been through the same things as you - they thought I had MS, or Lupus and on and on.

Most of my tests came back negative, and were almost strangely disappointing since it didn't help figure out what was wrong.

So, inevitably - no matter what the results are you may be somewhat relieved and somewhat disappointed.

Focus on getting through today - and then let us know what happens!

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 08:11 (079201)

Wendyn,

Probably not TOO disappointed -- if those tests DO show anything, it would have to be long-term damage since I was NOT hurting AT ALL when they were being done and I am sure there was no pressure on the nerve at that time. It was not even done with my feet 'in dependency' or with me standing up (I was lying down on his examining table), so there was no reason for the varicose vein to be filled.

Come to think of it, the really disappointing thing about a negative result would be the possibility of eventually having to DO THE NCV AGAIN, standing up!

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/11/02 at 08:45 (079202)

Sharon....I too am still in a walking cast. I would like to know the details about the test procedures you went through. My MRI didn't show anything in my immediate pain area and we talked about testing for RA, and possible nerve conduction test next? Good Luck today!

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 09:01 (079203)

Rich,

It is my understanding that the MAJORITY of the time, an MRI doesn't show anything, even when it is done 'with illumination' as mine was. ('With illumination' means they put something in an IV that the MRI can pick up on to produce a sharper, clearer image.) What an MRI CAN SHOW, is if there is some kind of THING in there -- like a lipoma, a cyst, a varicose vein, etc. -- that is causing the problem. All of which are possibilities worth ruling out!

The NCV test is harder to explain and I may not have everything quite right, but here goes: it involves attaching electrodes (2 at a time) along a nerve and then stimulating that nerve with an electric shock (which is NOT fun!) and recording the resulting electrical activity. If the electrical impulse moves too slowly, it indicates interferance -- probably some sort of nerve compression or nerve damage. If the electrical impulse does not conduct at all, then the problem is more serious...

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 4/11/02 at 11:08 (079232)

Dear Sharon , I wish you all the luck with your appointment today . I sure know how you are feeling right now.... I can make myself crazy before an important appointment , then when it is all said and done , I always say that was not so bad.... I am learning to relax and it has helped so much . I with Wendy , breath it helps so much ... I will be waiting for your post on how your appointment went .....My very best to you , Laurie R

Re: OUCH!

Rich on 4/11/02 at 11:59 (079247)

Sounds terrible! My pod did tell me that it would be expensive, probably not covered by insurance, and not available locally!! That narrows my options considerably. MY MRI did show a small cyst the size of a pencil eraser, but way to the back of my heel. I do have two bone spurs, again though, not where my pain is centralized. Thanks for the info!

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/02 at 13:37 (079281)

Sharon, you HAVE to go or we will all die of suspense! :)

Whatever the outcome... WHATEVER it is, I feel certain that it will bring you that much closer to understanding what is wrong. Understanding will bring the doctors that much closer to being able to treat you properly so that you can have happy feet soon. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/11/02 at 14:13 (079291)

We'll be anxious to hear what you learn from your appointment, Sharon! I'm glad that part will be over for you and then you can hopefully concentrate on the next steps to getting better!

I've been thinking of you ever since I read your post.

Take care!
Suzanne :-)

wendyn on 4/11/02 at 07:45 (079198)

Take a deep breath. Then keep doing it - and try to relax.

I have been through the same things as you - they thought I had MS, or Lupus and on and on.

Most of my tests came back negative, and were almost strangely disappointing since it didn't help figure out what was wrong.

So, inevitably - no matter what the results are you may be somewhat relieved and somewhat disappointed.

Focus on getting through today - and then let us know what happens!

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 08:11 (079201)

Wendyn,

Probably not TOO disappointed -- if those tests DO show anything, it would have to be long-term damage since I was NOT hurting AT ALL when they were being done and I am sure there was no pressure on the nerve at that time. It was not even done with my feet 'in dependency' or with me standing up (I was lying down on his examining table), so there was no reason for the varicose vein to be filled.

Come to think of it, the really disappointing thing about a negative result would be the possibility of eventually having to DO THE NCV AGAIN, standing up!

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/11/02 at 08:45 (079202)

Sharon....I too am still in a walking cast. I would like to know the details about the test procedures you went through. My MRI didn't show anything in my immediate pain area and we talked about testing for RA, and possible nerve conduction test next? Good Luck today!

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 09:01 (079203)

Rich,

It is my understanding that the MAJORITY of the time, an MRI doesn't show anything, even when it is done 'with illumination' as mine was. ('With illumination' means they put something in an IV that the MRI can pick up on to produce a sharper, clearer image.) What an MRI CAN SHOW, is if there is some kind of THING in there -- like a lipoma, a cyst, a varicose vein, etc. -- that is causing the problem. All of which are possibilities worth ruling out!

The NCV test is harder to explain and I may not have everything quite right, but here goes: it involves attaching electrodes (2 at a time) along a nerve and then stimulating that nerve with an electric shock (which is NOT fun!) and recording the resulting electrical activity. If the electrical impulse moves too slowly, it indicates interferance -- probably some sort of nerve compression or nerve damage. If the electrical impulse does not conduct at all, then the problem is more serious...

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 4/11/02 at 11:08 (079232)

Dear Sharon , I wish you all the luck with your appointment today . I sure know how you are feeling right now.... I can make myself crazy before an important appointment , then when it is all said and done , I always say that was not so bad.... I am learning to relax and it has helped so much . I with Wendy , breath it helps so much ... I will be waiting for your post on how your appointment went .....My very best to you , Laurie R

Re: OUCH!

Rich on 4/11/02 at 11:59 (079247)

Sounds terrible! My pod did tell me that it would be expensive, probably not covered by insurance, and not available locally!! That narrows my options considerably. MY MRI did show a small cyst the size of a pencil eraser, but way to the back of my heel. I do have two bone spurs, again though, not where my pain is centralized. Thanks for the info!

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/02 at 13:37 (079281)

Sharon, you HAVE to go or we will all die of suspense! :)

Whatever the outcome... WHATEVER it is, I feel certain that it will bring you that much closer to understanding what is wrong. Understanding will bring the doctors that much closer to being able to treat you properly so that you can have happy feet soon. :)

Carole C

Suzanne D on 4/11/02 at 14:13 (079291)

We'll be anxious to hear what you learn from your appointment, Sharon! I'm glad that part will be over for you and then you can hopefully concentrate on the next steps to getting better!

I've been thinking of you ever since I read your post.

Take care!
Suzanne :-)