Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

RETURN from the Chambers of the Pod

Posted by Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 16:07 (079313)

...OK, so it WOULDN'T make a very good title for a horror movie!

Anyway, I did keep my appointment with the pod this morning and found out that my NCV showed some slowness in the medial plantar nerve, but nothing else. My pod also said that, considering my TTS involves a varicose vein, and considering that the NCV was done while I was in no pain (other than the *#%! test itself!) and while I way lying on my side, the nerve slowness that did show up was probably NOT just due to something pressing on the PT nerve AT THAT MOMENT, but likely indicates longer-term damage that remained even though there was no significant pressure on the posterior tibial nerve at the time of the test.

In other words, I DO have a problem, but it's nothing that really worries my pod and nothing we didn't already know about -- only the TTS that had already been diagnosed.

Wendyn, Laurie: thanks for the advice! I often use deep breathing techniques when I'm stressed; it really DOES help me to 'get a grip!' And I did ask the pod about blood tests; she said my insurance would probably be more likely to pay if I ask my family Dr. to order them.

Rich, I'm still in the walking cast for another week. After that, I'm supposed to take it off -- so I guess I'll know soon whether it really did ANY good or not. My pod said she doubted that it would produce much long-term relief.

Thanks, Carole; I suspect I'm a lot like you in that I am MUCH more able to deal with situations once I UNDERSTAND them.

Everybody else, thanks so much for the support!

But my pod said there really isn't much more that she can do for me. Steroid injections raise my blood pressure, and I was hypertensive to begin with, and she has a 'limit' of 3 per year anyway (I've already had 2) so she says it's best to stop those, at least until (unless) I get into dire straits. Same problem with steroid pills. My pod is referring me for PT and says that if they can start me on it within 2 weeks I should wait to do PT for 2-3 weeks FIRST (to see if it will help) before I start taking Neurontin. (She did write a scrip for the Neurontin, though.) I will see her again in another 6 weeks...

Next time I see my family Dr., I need to have a talk with her about blood tests and about referring me to someone who can order a Doppler ultrasound of my leg veins. I want to know exactly WHAT'S going on as far as varicose veins. And I also intend to open a dialogue with my family Dr. about the possibility of eventually sending me to another pod, someone with good credentials and long experience in foot and ankle surgery, for a second opinion about getting that varicose vein OUT of there. Yes, I WILL give the PT a chance to work, FIRST, but it looks to me like it's reached the point where we at least need to TALK about it...

-- Sharon

Re: RETURN from the Chambers of the Pod

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/02 at 16:30 (079318)

This is good! At least in part, because you don't have something unexpected and even more horrid that is wrong with you.

And now you UNDERSTAND. :)

I think it's a great idea to eventually go to see another pod with good credentials, if nothing else works. I don't know much of anything about TTS, much less about TTS surgery, but I do know that giving up doesn't seem to heal anybody around here. So, if nothing else works it would seem to be appropriate to keep seeking some further treatment eventually.

Carole C

Rich on 4/11/02 at 16:53 (079321)

Sound to me like you at least have peace of mind for the time being. You sound positive about PT. Go for the full amount of time recommended before you try to determine if it's helping. But do ask questions about your treatment and speak up if something doesn't feel right. I'm scared of those steroids. Just now managed to lose about five pounds from the last medrol pack I took! Stayed swollen for a few weeks.

The second opinion sounds like a good idea....especially if you can find answers to all of your questions.

Good Luck!
Rich

Re: CORRECTION

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 18:26 (079333)

Oops! Just looking over this post, and realized I'd made an error. The NCV showed that the right LATERAL plantar nerve was slow, not the right MEDIAL plantar nerve.

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 19:01 (079335)

Rich,

Actually, my current pod is particularly patient about answering questions, and she is very honest with me, which I appreciate. When it comes to doctors, I would much rather hear a negative opinion than an evasion. I LIKE her and I will miss her, if I have to make a change. But she only has 4 years' experience, and she has made it very clear that she would only CONSIDER doing surgery if I were in agony pretty much 24/7, which is not the case. She also said that the varicose vein would probably just undo any progress I've made by using the cast, and that is probably what happened with the improvements after steroid injections, too. It seems to me, as long as that vein says IN there, it will probably continue to 'undo' the progress I make using 'conventional' therapies... and I would actually like to get BETTER, one of these days!

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 4/11/02 at 19:08 (079337)

Hi Sharon , you made it !!!!!! I agree , I think PT will be good for you to try ... How long have you had foot problems for ? Also a second opinion would be a great idea .... I am glad your appointment is over with . Like I said in my last post , sometimes I can really make things so much worse with anxiety that I can't even focus on what my doctors are telling me . I am doing better though ..

Thank you for your post and letting us know how your appointment went .. My best to you , Laurie R

Suzanne D on 4/11/02 at 19:51 (079341)

I'm glad your appointment is over and that nothing else was found to be wrong. I imagine you will sleep better tonight!

It's good that your Pod is honest with you and listens and answers as best she can. I think you will want to continue finding out what can be done about the veins...

Good luck with the physical therapy! I hope you make progress soon.

Suzanne :-)

linda a on 4/11/02 at 22:35 (079374)

hello sharon ! can a pod. take care of the varicose veins ? in the surgical world that i know of the vascular surgeon operates on varicose veins . linda ( Ky)

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 22:49 (079377)

Linda,

That is something I propose to find out when I see a vascular surgeon to get those veins Dopplered; I've been thinking exactly the same thing! But the short answer is, yes, I think pods do the procedure, at least sometimes. The question is, are there any VASCULAR SURGEONS out there who will work on FEET?

My pod said SHE could ligate the vein but to do so it would be necessary to cut the flexor retinaculum -- so, no reason to reattach it... On the other hand, she has decided NOT to attempt it. OK with me; as I commented in an earlier post, I like my pod but she is definitely NOT the person I would want doing the surgery!! If PT is really 'the end of the line' for me as far as conservative measures -- and I suppose it probably IS -- I suspect that I CAN find a surgeon willing to attempt it. Especially since the varicose vein in the tarsal tunnel HAS BEEN CONFIRMED by an MRI and the TTS has been confirmed by the NCV.

Thanks for your concern and your well thought out question.

-- Sharon

john h on 4/12/02 at 09:18 (079406)

Linda: when I had a surgeon explore my tarsal tunnel he did find and remove one small internal vericose vein. There are vericose veins you cannot see. (orthopedic surgeon).

Sharon W on 4/12/02 at 10:17 (079422)

John:

That's interesting. My pod said it was fairly unusual for a varicose vein to actually show up on an MRI. Did your surgeon find anything else in your TT? Did it seem to help, getting that small vein out of there?

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/11/02 at 16:30 (079318)

This is good! At least in part, because you don't have something unexpected and even more horrid that is wrong with you.

And now you UNDERSTAND. :)

I think it's a great idea to eventually go to see another pod with good credentials, if nothing else works. I don't know much of anything about TTS, much less about TTS surgery, but I do know that giving up doesn't seem to heal anybody around here. So, if nothing else works it would seem to be appropriate to keep seeking some further treatment eventually.

Carole C

Rich on 4/11/02 at 16:53 (079321)

Sound to me like you at least have peace of mind for the time being. You sound positive about PT. Go for the full amount of time recommended before you try to determine if it's helping. But do ask questions about your treatment and speak up if something doesn't feel right. I'm scared of those steroids. Just now managed to lose about five pounds from the last medrol pack I took! Stayed swollen for a few weeks.

The second opinion sounds like a good idea....especially if you can find answers to all of your questions.

Good Luck!
Rich

Re: CORRECTION

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 18:26 (079333)

Oops! Just looking over this post, and realized I'd made an error. The NCV showed that the right LATERAL plantar nerve was slow, not the right MEDIAL plantar nerve.

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 19:01 (079335)

Rich,

Actually, my current pod is particularly patient about answering questions, and she is very honest with me, which I appreciate. When it comes to doctors, I would much rather hear a negative opinion than an evasion. I LIKE her and I will miss her, if I have to make a change. But she only has 4 years' experience, and she has made it very clear that she would only CONSIDER doing surgery if I were in agony pretty much 24/7, which is not the case. She also said that the varicose vein would probably just undo any progress I've made by using the cast, and that is probably what happened with the improvements after steroid injections, too. It seems to me, as long as that vein says IN there, it will probably continue to 'undo' the progress I make using 'conventional' therapies... and I would actually like to get BETTER, one of these days!

-- Sharon

Laurie R on 4/11/02 at 19:08 (079337)

Hi Sharon , you made it !!!!!! I agree , I think PT will be good for you to try ... How long have you had foot problems for ? Also a second opinion would be a great idea .... I am glad your appointment is over with . Like I said in my last post , sometimes I can really make things so much worse with anxiety that I can't even focus on what my doctors are telling me . I am doing better though ..

Thank you for your post and letting us know how your appointment went .. My best to you , Laurie R

Suzanne D on 4/11/02 at 19:51 (079341)

I'm glad your appointment is over and that nothing else was found to be wrong. I imagine you will sleep better tonight!

It's good that your Pod is honest with you and listens and answers as best she can. I think you will want to continue finding out what can be done about the veins...

Good luck with the physical therapy! I hope you make progress soon.

Suzanne :-)

linda a on 4/11/02 at 22:35 (079374)

hello sharon ! can a pod. take care of the varicose veins ? in the surgical world that i know of the vascular surgeon operates on varicose veins . linda ( Ky)

Sharon W on 4/11/02 at 22:49 (079377)

Linda,

That is something I propose to find out when I see a vascular surgeon to get those veins Dopplered; I've been thinking exactly the same thing! But the short answer is, yes, I think pods do the procedure, at least sometimes. The question is, are there any VASCULAR SURGEONS out there who will work on FEET?

My pod said SHE could ligate the vein but to do so it would be necessary to cut the flexor retinaculum -- so, no reason to reattach it... On the other hand, she has decided NOT to attempt it. OK with me; as I commented in an earlier post, I like my pod but she is definitely NOT the person I would want doing the surgery!! If PT is really 'the end of the line' for me as far as conservative measures -- and I suppose it probably IS -- I suspect that I CAN find a surgeon willing to attempt it. Especially since the varicose vein in the tarsal tunnel HAS BEEN CONFIRMED by an MRI and the TTS has been confirmed by the NCV.

Thanks for your concern and your well thought out question.

-- Sharon

john h on 4/12/02 at 09:18 (079406)

Linda: when I had a surgeon explore my tarsal tunnel he did find and remove one small internal vericose vein. There are vericose veins you cannot see. (orthopedic surgeon).

Sharon W on 4/12/02 at 10:17 (079422)

John:

That's interesting. My pod said it was fairly unusual for a varicose vein to actually show up on an MRI. Did your surgeon find anything else in your TT? Did it seem to help, getting that small vein out of there?

-- Sharon