Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery was no help

Posted by Diana on 4/11/02 at 20:38 (079349)

I have waited a year to post my report of a surgery that involved pf release and a tarsal tunnel nerve release. the surgery wasn't bad, i didn't not have alot of increased pain afterwards but after a year I am no better and probably worse. I went back to the dr. a month after my surgery for a followup and told him how I felt and he said he couldn't understand it. He said he had people jogging again after 2 weeks. I somehow don't believe him.
I ended up quitting my standup job in Dec thinking that would help but it really hasn't. I have always wondered if Drs lump all foot pain into this catagory and don't really take the time to listen to a patient. I wonder if this diagnosis is accurate. I waited 3 years before surgery and tried everything mentioned on this website. this Dr. was highly recommended. Diana

Re: Surgery was no help

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/11/02 at 21:36 (079359)

Diana:

Was tarsal tunnel syndrome confirmed by a nerve conduction velocity test before surgery?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/11/02 at 22:47 (079376)

So you pain is still plantar fasciitis or do you still have TTS type pain
ie burning, numbnes, pain on the bottom. ESWT might be the answer if TTS is definitely rules out. What are your problems now

Diana on 4/13/02 at 00:43 (079507)

The tarsal tunnel was never confirmed by a nerve conduction test but I was told a negative didn't necessarily mean you don't have it. My symptons are the same as before- feelings of pins sticking in my feet, numb spots, big knots on the tendon in the foot I didn' t have surgery on, feeling like i'm walking on glass shards. My pain started on the side on my foot running down from my ankle bone, then the arch, then the heel, now everywhere including the lateral edge of my foot after the surgery.
I also have some bulging discs in my back, particulary S-5 (or whatever the one by the S-I joint is). I think the pain from my feet has it's orgins in my back.
I used to hike alot, worked on my feet, gardened etc. I am 56 years old, in good health, not overweight and have never been a couch potato except I'm getting that way now.
I have a pretty negative view of doctors now (and i've been working for them for 30 years). Can arthritis in your feet mimic pf etc.? I was told I have some but not alot. Diana

John h on 4/13/02 at 10:19 (079521)

I would think any arthritis would easily show up on x-ray Diana. If we live long enough we will all have some sort of arthrits in in our feet and a lot of other place. Even Tyronasuras Rex had this problem. One orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon I know has a practice that is about 90% of dealing with people with arthritis in toes and various other parts of the foot and ankle.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 15:15 (079723)

It is possible that a NCV can miss TTS, nevertheless it would have given you a better idea if the parestheias you are describing are related to the L5,S1 problems.

Your description of the situation does not strongly support TTS.

What type of doctor do you work for?
Ed

Diana on 4/15/02 at 22:40 (079793)

An oncologist. That was in TN. I just recently moved way over to WA state. My Nerve conduction test wasn't normal but they said it didn't support TTS. After that I was put on nuerotin and it really helped the numbness in my leg and maybe my feet too. I have recently stopped taking it even tho I was told it was not habit forming and I could take it for a long time. I just hate to take pills if I can get by without it. i have recently been unpacking LOTS of boxes and even tho I try to be careful squatting, I think that irritates my feet. Can it? I have given up hiking which I love and for the moment working also. Diana

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 13:40 (080007)

The bright side is that you have moved to a state with terrific podiatrists! Let me know where you live so I can get you to someone good.
Ed

Diana on 4/18/02 at 22:04 (080229)

OK, it's Richland, WA but I'm going to think hard about getting mixed up with another Dr. Diana

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 23:37 (080238)

Richland -- the Tri-Cities area! A nice place to live, my sister lives there...

-- Sharon

Re: Consider peripheral neuropathy??

Nick R on 4/19/02 at 18:27 (080362)

Hi Diana. You mentioned that your nerve conduction study was not normal. Did your doctor tell you that it's possible you have peripheral neuropathy? I have it and most of the symptoms you are describing are the same that I experience. I'm on Neurontin too and I also went off of it the first time I tried it. I quickly discovered that it helped alot more than I thought it did; you might want to give it another try. I don't like taking a bunch of medicine either, but I think you need to make an exception in this case.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into another operation, as surgery on people with neuropathy only makes things worse the more you mess with them.

I moved last summer and it definitely made my feet worse too.

Hang in there. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Nick R.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:41 (080367)

Our state convention this year is going to be in Pasco, WA from April 26 to 28. That is one area of the state where I don't know a lot of practitioners. If you get to the Seattle area, consider an opinion from Dr. Byron Hutchinson. He specializes in 'tough' cases. It is never a bad idea to get another opinion -- does not mean that you have to accept treatment.

Ed

John h on 4/19/02 at 19:54 (080382)

Diane I think a number of us have noted that squatting can cause a PF flareup especially if you squat like most americans and that is with all your weight on your toes which really puts a load on the fascia. most asians can squat for hours on end but they always squat flat footed.

trish e on 4/22/02 at 11:48 (080652)

iam afraid mine didn,t work either,i have the same awful pain i did before haveing it done,don,t think i will have the other foot done,don,t know what to do as far as my standing job on my feet for 12 hrs.

Sharon W on 4/22/02 at 12:14 (080654)

Trish,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I was really hoping your surgery would work out -- it sounded like everything had gone really well, at first, but I guess your problems begam when it got infected?

-- Sharon

Diana on 4/22/02 at 22:58 (080762)

I really appreciate everyone responding to my message. I have read here that there are mostly complaints written in because people that get better get ' on with their lives' and never look at this board again. well, I have gotten on with my life and didn't look at this sit? much after last spring but that didn't mean I got better. I do think that I do have peripheral neuropathy too and what ever I was doing to get it , I wish I could take it back. I 'm typing this with an icepack on my feet. It encourages me for you t? say that you got worse after you moved also. I had a bad flareup about about 6 months ago when I painted the whole inside of a house t?o. that's when I figured out squatting wasn't good. Thanks again, Diana

trish e on 4/24/02 at 07:41 (080922)

thanks sharon,yes you are right now my foot feels the same way it did before,hurts really bad after being off of it,burning,and its all in the heel area,i go see the dr today and my therpist couldn,t even work with it last week because i stayed up for 3 hrs on them tring to prepair for my 12 hr days at work,it swelled up couldn,t even do the r.o.m. she was very up-set.thank you for your concern

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/11/02 at 21:36 (079359)

Diana:

Was tarsal tunnel syndrome confirmed by a nerve conduction velocity test before surgery?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/11/02 at 22:47 (079376)

So you pain is still plantar fasciitis or do you still have TTS type pain
ie burning, numbnes, pain on the bottom. ESWT might be the answer if TTS is definitely rules out. What are your problems now

Diana on 4/13/02 at 00:43 (079507)

The tarsal tunnel was never confirmed by a nerve conduction test but I was told a negative didn't necessarily mean you don't have it. My symptons are the same as before- feelings of pins sticking in my feet, numb spots, big knots on the tendon in the foot I didn' t have surgery on, feeling like i'm walking on glass shards. My pain started on the side on my foot running down from my ankle bone, then the arch, then the heel, now everywhere including the lateral edge of my foot after the surgery.
I also have some bulging discs in my back, particulary S-5 (or whatever the one by the S-I joint is). I think the pain from my feet has it's orgins in my back.
I used to hike alot, worked on my feet, gardened etc. I am 56 years old, in good health, not overweight and have never been a couch potato except I'm getting that way now.
I have a pretty negative view of doctors now (and i've been working for them for 30 years). Can arthritis in your feet mimic pf etc.? I was told I have some but not alot. Diana

John h on 4/13/02 at 10:19 (079521)

I would think any arthritis would easily show up on x-ray Diana. If we live long enough we will all have some sort of arthrits in in our feet and a lot of other place. Even Tyronasuras Rex had this problem. One orthopedic foot and ankle surgeon I know has a practice that is about 90% of dealing with people with arthritis in toes and various other parts of the foot and ankle.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 15:15 (079723)

It is possible that a NCV can miss TTS, nevertheless it would have given you a better idea if the parestheias you are describing are related to the L5,S1 problems.

Your description of the situation does not strongly support TTS.

What type of doctor do you work for?
Ed

Diana on 4/15/02 at 22:40 (079793)

An oncologist. That was in TN. I just recently moved way over to WA state. My Nerve conduction test wasn't normal but they said it didn't support TTS. After that I was put on nuerotin and it really helped the numbness in my leg and maybe my feet too. I have recently stopped taking it even tho I was told it was not habit forming and I could take it for a long time. I just hate to take pills if I can get by without it. i have recently been unpacking LOTS of boxes and even tho I try to be careful squatting, I think that irritates my feet. Can it? I have given up hiking which I love and for the moment working also. Diana

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 13:40 (080007)

The bright side is that you have moved to a state with terrific podiatrists! Let me know where you live so I can get you to someone good.
Ed

Diana on 4/18/02 at 22:04 (080229)

OK, it's Richland, WA but I'm going to think hard about getting mixed up with another Dr. Diana

Sharon W on 4/18/02 at 23:37 (080238)

Richland -- the Tri-Cities area! A nice place to live, my sister lives there...

-- Sharon

Nick R on 4/19/02 at 18:27 (080362)

Hi Diana. You mentioned that your nerve conduction study was not normal. Did your doctor tell you that it's possible you have peripheral neuropathy? I have it and most of the symptoms you are describing are the same that I experience. I'm on Neurontin too and I also went off of it the first time I tried it. I quickly discovered that it helped alot more than I thought it did; you might want to give it another try. I don't like taking a bunch of medicine either, but I think you need to make an exception in this case.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone talk you into another operation, as surgery on people with neuropathy only makes things worse the more you mess with them.

I moved last summer and it definitely made my feet worse too.

Hang in there. Hope you get to feeling better soon. Nick R.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:41 (080367)

Our state convention this year is going to be in Pasco, WA from April 26 to 28. That is one area of the state where I don't know a lot of practitioners. If you get to the Seattle area, consider an opinion from Dr. Byron Hutchinson. He specializes in 'tough' cases. It is never a bad idea to get another opinion -- does not mean that you have to accept treatment.

Ed

John h on 4/19/02 at 19:54 (080382)

Diane I think a number of us have noted that squatting can cause a PF flareup especially if you squat like most americans and that is with all your weight on your toes which really puts a load on the fascia. most asians can squat for hours on end but they always squat flat footed.

trish e on 4/22/02 at 11:48 (080652)

iam afraid mine didn,t work either,i have the same awful pain i did before haveing it done,don,t think i will have the other foot done,don,t know what to do as far as my standing job on my feet for 12 hrs.

Sharon W on 4/22/02 at 12:14 (080654)

Trish,

I'm really sorry to hear that. I was really hoping your surgery would work out -- it sounded like everything had gone really well, at first, but I guess your problems begam when it got infected?

-- Sharon

Diana on 4/22/02 at 22:58 (080762)

I really appreciate everyone responding to my message. I have read here that there are mostly complaints written in because people that get better get ' on with their lives' and never look at this board again. well, I have gotten on with my life and didn't look at this sit? much after last spring but that didn't mean I got better. I do think that I do have peripheral neuropathy too and what ever I was doing to get it , I wish I could take it back. I 'm typing this with an icepack on my feet. It encourages me for you t? say that you got worse after you moved also. I had a bad flareup about about 6 months ago when I painted the whole inside of a house t?o. that's when I figured out squatting wasn't good. Thanks again, Diana

trish e on 4/24/02 at 07:41 (080922)

thanks sharon,yes you are right now my foot feels the same way it did before,hurts really bad after being off of it,burning,and its all in the heel area,i go see the dr today and my therpist couldn,t even work with it last week because i stayed up for 3 hrs on them tring to prepair for my 12 hr days at work,it swelled up couldn,t even do the r.o.m. she was very up-set.thank you for your concern