Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

would custom made orthotics work

Posted by Michael on 4/12/02 at 04:17 (079387)

Drs:

I had taping, night splint, anti-inflammatories, icing and pt (iontophoresis, ultrasound, massage, stretching) and none of this helped. I am wearing shoes with OTC orthotics. Do you think it is worth trying custom made orthotics. I have to ask because it is very, very expensive.

Thanks

P.S. When my feet were taped, it helped for only a day or two.

Re: would custom made orthotics work

Michael on 4/12/02 at 04:18 (079388)

I forgot to add that I have pf.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/12/02 at 05:39 (079390)

Hi Michael

Irt sounds likeorthotics would help because you get relief from the strapping. The strappng will function as a crude orthotics. How expensiveare these orthotics that your doctor is talking about? How long have you had plantar fasciitis? How long have you been doing PT? Do you limp on that first step in the morning? Are you experiencing any burning pain on the side of the help? I'll be happy to help.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Michael on 4/14/02 at 07:38 (079586)

Yes, I have some burning on the side of my heel. My feet and ankle hurt first thing after getting up from rest, even while sitting and sleeping. Sometimes my arch hurts. I have had five sessions of PT: two were for ultrasound and stretching; three were for iontophoresis, stretching and deep massaging on the calf area. also the pt gave me arch supports and heel supports.

The massage was really painful. Is this normal?

Michael

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 20:10 (079658)

Hey Mike:

Sounds like you had quite a bit. Were the sessions two or three times weekly? I think that I would go for the orthotics. How much were you quoted? The burning is most lkely a compression of the medial calcaneal nerve. I think that ESWT would be the next logical step. IIf the burning doesn't subside I performa a procedure calles stereotactic radio frequency thermal lesioning. It sounds like a big name but what happens is that a needle is inserted in the pain site. There is a cathether around the needle. The catheter is left behing and a wire is inserted. The tip of the tiny wire is heaed to 80 degrees centigrade for 90 seconds. It desensatizes the 'C' fiber on the nerve and the pain stops . There are no incisions, no stiches, no bandages. Recovery is one day. Try the orthotics if no improvement this is the course that I would suggest. I hope this info helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Michael on 4/12/02 at 04:18 (079388)

I forgot to add that I have pf.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/12/02 at 05:39 (079390)

Hi Michael

Irt sounds likeorthotics would help because you get relief from the strapping. The strappng will function as a crude orthotics. How expensiveare these orthotics that your doctor is talking about? How long have you had plantar fasciitis? How long have you been doing PT? Do you limp on that first step in the morning? Are you experiencing any burning pain on the side of the help? I'll be happy to help.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Michael on 4/14/02 at 07:38 (079586)

Yes, I have some burning on the side of my heel. My feet and ankle hurt first thing after getting up from rest, even while sitting and sleeping. Sometimes my arch hurts. I have had five sessions of PT: two were for ultrasound and stretching; three were for iontophoresis, stretching and deep massaging on the calf area. also the pt gave me arch supports and heel supports.

The massage was really painful. Is this normal?

Michael

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 20:10 (079658)

Hey Mike:

Sounds like you had quite a bit. Were the sessions two or three times weekly? I think that I would go for the orthotics. How much were you quoted? The burning is most lkely a compression of the medial calcaneal nerve. I think that ESWT would be the next logical step. IIf the burning doesn't subside I performa a procedure calles stereotactic radio frequency thermal lesioning. It sounds like a big name but what happens is that a needle is inserted in the pain site. There is a cathether around the needle. The catheter is left behing and a wire is inserted. The tip of the tiny wire is heaed to 80 degrees centigrade for 90 seconds. It desensatizes the 'C' fiber on the nerve and the pain stops . There are no incisions, no stiches, no bandages. Recovery is one day. Try the orthotics if no improvement this is the course that I would suggest. I hope this info helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli