Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain on side of heel?

Posted by Ron W. on 4/12/02 at 06:05 (079391)

Hi,

I have a troubling pain on the left side of the right heel not the usual pain in the back, which I would assume to be Achilles Tendonitis.

There is much swelling and hurts to the touch, the RICE technique has helped but not eliminated it. Heel lifts helped a little also, but I don't want to become dependent on them.

I have also resorted to cutting away the lining and foam on the inside of the heel of my right running shoes to form a 'pocket' to keep the rubbing and friction down. All my shoes show wear spots from the rubbing.

Thanks in advance

ron W.

Any thoughts

Re: Pain on side of heel?

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 10:00 (079416)

Hi

Is this area on the upper outside area of the heel pain ? This is called a pump bump. Keep all shoe pressure off the area. Since this isn't near the achilles tendon, a local steriod injection would be helpful.

Ellen J. on 4/13/02 at 13:02 (079530)

Hi Ron,
Your pain sounds like it's on the medial side of the heel rather than the outside of the heel? I am not a doctor, but a person who has P. F. and I have the pain in that same spot in additon to the arches. It swells up a little and the area I'm talking about is about an inch or two below the inside ankle bone. Mine really flared up from a pair of running shoes and I wonder if your shoes could be causing the problem? I don't really know why, but maybe the doctors can explain why there is pain in this area for some of us.
Doctors, if you get this message, can you tell us what this is? I have been wondering myself.
Thanks!
Ellen J.

luann e on 4/14/02 at 11:24 (079604)

hi, i also have that same pain on side below ankle on inside of left foot. i have trouble first thing in morning and any time i sit for more than five monutes. it works out after i walk five minutes or so. at home in evenings i can't hardly walk at asll though. i am taking pain {over the counter} pills but is this treatable?

Ron W. on 4/15/02 at 08:59 (079687)

Thanks for the reply, I looked up 'pump bump' and I'm still not sure if this is what I'm experiencing.

If you look at the diagram at this web page;

http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Achilles%20Tendonitis

My pain and swelling is on the opposite side of the heel, I guess the medial side. If you drew that blue circle on the other side of the heel that's were the pain and swelling is most acute.

One interesting note, on my last few runs tightning down the laces seem to have dramatically decreased the discomfort, I had been intentional keeping the laces loose to reduce the friction on the back of the heel, hopefully if I keep this up the swelling may abate as well.

Thank you again for help, anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

Ron W.

Ellen J. on 4/15/02 at 12:31 (079708)

One last thing I heard re; the heel pain we are talking about; Someone mentioned that Asics Gel shoes have a fairly tight heel area which can irritate some people's heels. I had been wearing a new pair of Asics when my heel got really bad but I don't know if that was the cause or the fact that I was trying to walk on the treadmill for the first time (with hopes that walking would lead to a return to running at some point). I actually liked the way the Asics felt because I have a narrow heel and tend to get heel slip and these shoes grabbed my heel nicely--possibly a bit too nicely!
Just a thought in case you were wearing new shoes when this happened. Generally I like Asics alot but probably not the model I was wearing at that time.
Ellen J.

Ron W. on 4/15/02 at 20:27 (079777)

So far my shoes of choice have been Saucony (Shadow & Jazz), and New Balance, because they come in wider widths. Thanks for the heads up on Asic, they were on my list of shows to try.

I agree, it's a tough call on heel width,,,if you go with a wider heel box you can suffer from heel slippage, if you choose to go with a narrower box you can get too much compression which seems to aggravate our heel condition.

Ron W.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 10:00 (079416)

Hi

Is this area on the upper outside area of the heel pain ? This is called a pump bump. Keep all shoe pressure off the area. Since this isn't near the achilles tendon, a local steriod injection would be helpful.

Ellen J. on 4/13/02 at 13:02 (079530)

Hi Ron,
Your pain sounds like it's on the medial side of the heel rather than the outside of the heel? I am not a doctor, but a person who has P. F. and I have the pain in that same spot in additon to the arches. It swells up a little and the area I'm talking about is about an inch or two below the inside ankle bone. Mine really flared up from a pair of running shoes and I wonder if your shoes could be causing the problem? I don't really know why, but maybe the doctors can explain why there is pain in this area for some of us.
Doctors, if you get this message, can you tell us what this is? I have been wondering myself.
Thanks!
Ellen J.

luann e on 4/14/02 at 11:24 (079604)

hi, i also have that same pain on side below ankle on inside of left foot. i have trouble first thing in morning and any time i sit for more than five monutes. it works out after i walk five minutes or so. at home in evenings i can't hardly walk at asll though. i am taking pain {over the counter} pills but is this treatable?

Ron W. on 4/15/02 at 08:59 (079687)

Thanks for the reply, I looked up 'pump bump' and I'm still not sure if this is what I'm experiencing.

If you look at the diagram at this web page;

http://www.myfootshop.com/detail.asp?Condition=Achilles%20Tendonitis

My pain and swelling is on the opposite side of the heel, I guess the medial side. If you drew that blue circle on the other side of the heel that's were the pain and swelling is most acute.

One interesting note, on my last few runs tightning down the laces seem to have dramatically decreased the discomfort, I had been intentional keeping the laces loose to reduce the friction on the back of the heel, hopefully if I keep this up the swelling may abate as well.

Thank you again for help, anything else you can think of would be appreciated.

Ron W.

Ellen J. on 4/15/02 at 12:31 (079708)

One last thing I heard re; the heel pain we are talking about; Someone mentioned that Asics Gel shoes have a fairly tight heel area which can irritate some people's heels. I had been wearing a new pair of Asics when my heel got really bad but I don't know if that was the cause or the fact that I was trying to walk on the treadmill for the first time (with hopes that walking would lead to a return to running at some point). I actually liked the way the Asics felt because I have a narrow heel and tend to get heel slip and these shoes grabbed my heel nicely--possibly a bit too nicely!
Just a thought in case you were wearing new shoes when this happened. Generally I like Asics alot but probably not the model I was wearing at that time.
Ellen J.

Ron W. on 4/15/02 at 20:27 (079777)

So far my shoes of choice have been Saucony (Shadow & Jazz), and New Balance, because they come in wider widths. Thanks for the heads up on Asic, they were on my list of shows to try.

I agree, it's a tough call on heel width,,,if you go with a wider heel box you can suffer from heel slippage, if you choose to go with a narrower box you can get too much compression which seems to aggravate our heel condition.

Ron W.