Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone injections in the foot

Posted by Dottie on 4/12/02 at 08:46 (079399)

I have had occasion to have cortisone injections in my feet, due to
neuromas, etc., but have also had neuromas removed. Right now, I am
debating to the fact if cortisone shots have lasting side effects. I
have heard that the cortisone never leaves your body; and don't know
if that is good or bad. I really need to have another one, but am not
sure if I would be making a mistake to do that, or just try to work it out. I guess I am just wondering about permanent side effects as you
also hear that they are not good for you, other than to remove pain, but
that is usually by someone that is selling their own treatment. I need
to hear from you really quick as I am planning a trip and today would be
the only time to get this taken care of. Thank you so much!

Re: cortisone injections in the foot

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 09:54 (079413)

You can use 4% alcohol with lidocaine injections. Very effective without any of the risks that local steriod injection can cause. You can also have alot more of the alcohol injections

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/12/02 at 18:03 (079472)

What Dr. Z is referring to is know as Scelosing inejctions. Typically we do them every two weeks. The nerve pain is diminshed and does not cause the long term problems associated with cortisone. If the cortisone is a a sulfate of phosphate form it is short acting if it is acetate it is long acting. I hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/02 at 14:49 (079540)

Just saw an article for alcohol injecctions for neuroma's in the most recedt issue of Biomechanic ( http://www.biomech.com )

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 09:54 (079413)

You can use 4% alcohol with lidocaine injections. Very effective without any of the risks that local steriod injection can cause. You can also have alot more of the alcohol injections

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/12/02 at 18:03 (079472)

What Dr. Z is referring to is know as Scelosing inejctions. Typically we do them every two weeks. The nerve pain is diminshed and does not cause the long term problems associated with cortisone. If the cortisone is a a sulfate of phosphate form it is short acting if it is acetate it is long acting. I hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/02 at 14:49 (079540)

Just saw an article for alcohol injecctions for neuroma's in the most recedt issue of Biomechanic ( http://www.biomech.com )