Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

posterior tibialis tendon tear, question

Posted by elaine on 4/12/02 at 09:57 (079414)

Since I have a partial posterior tibialis tendon tear is it ok to be standing and walking on this. It has taken since Jan. to get the primary doctor to send me to an orthopedic dr and get the MRI....I have been working like this since then and my job has me standing 4 hrs or more plus lifting heavy boxes. Will cordisone injections help? I have no idea what the ortho dr. will be doing when I see him on the 24th....is there any special questions I should be asking about this condition?

Re: posterior tibialis tendon tear, question

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 10:02 (079417)

Hi

Standing on this bad. You need to place into a cast,boot cast. or brace. Local steriod injections can cause a rupture of the PT tendon . Get in to see your doctor now Waiting could lead to a rupture of this very important tendon

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/12/02 at 17:57 (079470)

Hi:

I would also insist on using an orthotic and or a Richie brace for Tibilias Posterior Dysfunction. You must be caregul as to not casue a rupture of this tendon. This is when an arch collapses. Be careful, no cortisone, limited staning. Get orthotics or Richie brace ASAP.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

elaine on 4/13/02 at 16:03 (079548)

I understand that this condition has something to do with the arch. I have flat feet....does that mean I have no arch and is it still involved with this tendon tear?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/13/02 at 18:20 (079559)

The tibialis posterior is responsible for suporting the arch. The tear has occured most likely from repeative injury from standing.

Re: A Thank You

elaine on 4/14/02 at 11:09 (079602)

I want to thank Dr. Z and Dr. Cozzarelli for answering my questions. It's nice to have place to go to ask. I went with information to the ortho dr. to move my date up ASAP. I was told it wasn't acute and that I could just keep the same date. Upon talking with my friend Sherrie Myer who is also a patient of yours, she went with me to the doctors and insisted that it be moved. The only date available was for this Thurs. the 18th. I also asked for note for work so i could stay off my foot like you said. They wouldn't do it until I saw the doctor again. So I went back to the primary doctor and told him about the problem and he wrote me a note for work so I could stay home and off the foot until the 18th. I'm glade someone listened. Now I just hope the Ortho doctor knows what he is doing. Sometimes I wish I went to medical school. I feel I have to give them the diagnosis most of the time. I also saw heel spur on the Xray which no one has said anything about. I guess that's not as important as the tendon problem. Thanks again to both of you. Sherrie said you would come through.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:39 (079634)

I'm gald we were able to help!

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 10:02 (079417)

Hi

Standing on this bad. You need to place into a cast,boot cast. or brace. Local steriod injections can cause a rupture of the PT tendon . Get in to see your doctor now Waiting could lead to a rupture of this very important tendon

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/12/02 at 17:57 (079470)

Hi:

I would also insist on using an orthotic and or a Richie brace for Tibilias Posterior Dysfunction. You must be caregul as to not casue a rupture of this tendon. This is when an arch collapses. Be careful, no cortisone, limited staning. Get orthotics or Richie brace ASAP.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

elaine on 4/13/02 at 16:03 (079548)

I understand that this condition has something to do with the arch. I have flat feet....does that mean I have no arch and is it still involved with this tendon tear?

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/13/02 at 18:20 (079559)

The tibialis posterior is responsible for suporting the arch. The tear has occured most likely from repeative injury from standing.

elaine on 4/14/02 at 11:09 (079602)

I want to thank Dr. Z and Dr. Cozzarelli for answering my questions. It's nice to have place to go to ask. I went with information to the ortho dr. to move my date up ASAP. I was told it wasn't acute and that I could just keep the same date. Upon talking with my friend Sherrie Myer who is also a patient of yours, she went with me to the doctors and insisted that it be moved. The only date available was for this Thurs. the 18th. I also asked for note for work so i could stay off my foot like you said. They wouldn't do it until I saw the doctor again. So I went back to the primary doctor and told him about the problem and he wrote me a note for work so I could stay home and off the foot until the 18th. I'm glade someone listened. Now I just hope the Ortho doctor knows what he is doing. Sometimes I wish I went to medical school. I feel I have to give them the diagnosis most of the time. I also saw heel spur on the Xray which no one has said anything about. I guess that's not as important as the tendon problem. Thanks again to both of you. Sherrie said you would come through.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:39 (079634)

I'm gald we were able to help!

Dr. John Cozzarelli