Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy

Posted by Barbie on 4/12/02 at 14:22 (079448)

Hi, I am new here. I am looking for any information on this procedure. I am scheduled to have the endoscopic plantar fasciotomy done in May. I was wondering if anyone has had this done and if so, how did everything go and how long did it take to get back to normal? And OH! how painful was it?

Thanks so much for any replys.

Barbie

Re: Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy

Carmen on 4/12/02 at 18:39 (079481)

Barbie~
Welcome to the board!
Have you exhausted conservative measures for treating your PF? What is your history??
The doctors here are wonderful....check back often.

Re: p.s.

Carmen on 4/12/02 at 18:43 (079483)

Please make sure you have covered all the basis before having surgery...
ask us questions and we'll be happy to answer.

BrianG on 4/13/02 at 15:56 (079547)

Hi Barbie,

There are quite a few people here that have had EPF surgery, including myself. The reason most of us are still sticking around, is because the procedure did not work for us. If you use the search engine here, you'll find a lot of posts about EPF. It took me 3-4 months to get over the pain from the operation. It may take less now, as I understand that with the new kit, you are only cut on one side. When I had mine done, I was cut on both sides, clear through. Did it hurt, you bet!!!

I wouldn't advise getting it, as the doctor's view is really limited, due to the small incision. I was fortunate that no nerves were disturbed, others aren't as lucky and develop additional problems. If you decide to go through with it, ask your doctor for some referral's of patients he has cured. Talk to them yourself. Good luck

BrianG

R C on 4/16/02 at 11:38 (079829)

Barbie:

I was also told that after 2 years of plantar fasciitis my only remaining option was surgery. This idea did not appeal to me, since all the surgery does is release some tension from the plantar fascia, and in my case it seems likely that the result would be increased tension in the remaining tissue (I have very flat feet).

Another Dr. suggested I try a hard cast for 4 weeks. Although it was a walking cast, I elected to use crutches, never permitting my bad foot to bear any weight. After the cast was removed, the injured tissue was completely pain free, indicating it probably healed. However, I was not yet able to walk or stand because I needed to rebuild strength and flexibility in that foot. Another 4 to 6 weeks of physical therapy and I was restored to full health. (I am lucky to have a job I can do at home, and a patient and devoted spouse.)

In order to preserve the health of my foot I am using an orthotic, and I keep up all of my strectching exercises. Plus I avoid heavy lifting, running and other risky behaviors.

I think this approach is very sensible in stubborn cases where the injuries simply haven't had a chance to heal up under more conservative treatments.

If your case is similar, you might discuss casting with your Dr. It takes a couple months of inconvenience, but it is preferable to surgery.

All the best--

R C

Janew on 4/18/02 at 00:26 (080079)

I have had PF for three years in both feet. There are days that I just want to cut them off at the ankles. I have tried all of the conservative treatments, ice, rest, Physical Therapy, exercise etc. I have had four cortisone shots in both feet which helps for awhile but then..... I now have custom othotics for both feet but they have only helped a little. My podiatrist says he thinks they are very good but because the pain is back (big time) he wants to do surgery. I've read your comments but does anyone else have suggestions or comments? Has anyone tried ESWT here in the states? Any luck in getting insurance to pay for it? My doctor wants to put incisions in both sides of my feet. Where can I get information on different surgery techniques?

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 14:55 (080160)

Hi Jane,

You really should get to the main index, and click on the 'ESWT' and 'foot surgery' sections of this message board. Plus try the search feature. I think if your doctor is cutting both sides, he is using an older kit. If he is using an older kit, I think you won't have as good of a chance for healing. Personally, after one failure, I would never consider surgery again. Check out the ESWT section, I really think that is your best hope at this time. If PF is your only problem, ESWT is your best bet! Good luck

BrianG

Pam B on 4/18/02 at 20:18 (080219)

If surgery becomes your option of choice, reconsider and research EPF........I have bilateral PF and had my right foot operated on in Feb after exhausting all other options except for ESTW which is not a covered service with my insurance....I opted to have the open minimal incision and it is healing nicely....surgery is not a cure all but for some of us that have suffered for many years and tried it all, it can be a god sent....I researched EPF and discovered many failed surgeries.....following a discussion with my pod, we opted for the open procedure and so far so good :) either way you go, remember it will take patience on your part because this healing process can take up to a year according to my pod......good luck to you and keep us posted :)

Carmen on 4/12/02 at 18:39 (079481)

Barbie~
Welcome to the board!
Have you exhausted conservative measures for treating your PF? What is your history??
The doctors here are wonderful....check back often.

Re: p.s.

Carmen on 4/12/02 at 18:43 (079483)

Please make sure you have covered all the basis before having surgery...
ask us questions and we'll be happy to answer.

BrianG on 4/13/02 at 15:56 (079547)

Hi Barbie,

There are quite a few people here that have had EPF surgery, including myself. The reason most of us are still sticking around, is because the procedure did not work for us. If you use the search engine here, you'll find a lot of posts about EPF. It took me 3-4 months to get over the pain from the operation. It may take less now, as I understand that with the new kit, you are only cut on one side. When I had mine done, I was cut on both sides, clear through. Did it hurt, you bet!!!

I wouldn't advise getting it, as the doctor's view is really limited, due to the small incision. I was fortunate that no nerves were disturbed, others aren't as lucky and develop additional problems. If you decide to go through with it, ask your doctor for some referral's of patients he has cured. Talk to them yourself. Good luck

BrianG

R C on 4/16/02 at 11:38 (079829)

Barbie:

I was also told that after 2 years of plantar fasciitis my only remaining option was surgery. This idea did not appeal to me, since all the surgery does is release some tension from the plantar fascia, and in my case it seems likely that the result would be increased tension in the remaining tissue (I have very flat feet).

Another Dr. suggested I try a hard cast for 4 weeks. Although it was a walking cast, I elected to use crutches, never permitting my bad foot to bear any weight. After the cast was removed, the injured tissue was completely pain free, indicating it probably healed. However, I was not yet able to walk or stand because I needed to rebuild strength and flexibility in that foot. Another 4 to 6 weeks of physical therapy and I was restored to full health. (I am lucky to have a job I can do at home, and a patient and devoted spouse.)

In order to preserve the health of my foot I am using an orthotic, and I keep up all of my strectching exercises. Plus I avoid heavy lifting, running and other risky behaviors.

I think this approach is very sensible in stubborn cases where the injuries simply haven't had a chance to heal up under more conservative treatments.

If your case is similar, you might discuss casting with your Dr. It takes a couple months of inconvenience, but it is preferable to surgery.

All the best--

R C

Janew on 4/18/02 at 00:26 (080079)

I have had PF for three years in both feet. There are days that I just want to cut them off at the ankles. I have tried all of the conservative treatments, ice, rest, Physical Therapy, exercise etc. I have had four cortisone shots in both feet which helps for awhile but then..... I now have custom othotics for both feet but they have only helped a little. My podiatrist says he thinks they are very good but because the pain is back (big time) he wants to do surgery. I've read your comments but does anyone else have suggestions or comments? Has anyone tried ESWT here in the states? Any luck in getting insurance to pay for it? My doctor wants to put incisions in both sides of my feet. Where can I get information on different surgery techniques?

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 14:55 (080160)

Hi Jane,

You really should get to the main index, and click on the 'ESWT' and 'foot surgery' sections of this message board. Plus try the search feature. I think if your doctor is cutting both sides, he is using an older kit. If he is using an older kit, I think you won't have as good of a chance for healing. Personally, after one failure, I would never consider surgery again. Check out the ESWT section, I really think that is your best hope at this time. If PF is your only problem, ESWT is your best bet! Good luck

BrianG

Pam B on 4/18/02 at 20:18 (080219)

If surgery becomes your option of choice, reconsider and research EPF........I have bilateral PF and had my right foot operated on in Feb after exhausting all other options except for ESTW which is not a covered service with my insurance....I opted to have the open minimal incision and it is healing nicely....surgery is not a cure all but for some of us that have suffered for many years and tried it all, it can be a god sent....I researched EPF and discovered many failed surgeries.....following a discussion with my pod, we opted for the open procedure and so far so good :) either way you go, remember it will take patience on your part because this healing process can take up to a year according to my pod......good luck to you and keep us posted :)