Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re spiraling health problems after pf

Posted by lisa k on 4/12/02 at 15:02 (079452)

reading your posts have been so helpful thank you /question....... first pf (i too experienced it after a streneus exercise and wieght LOSS of 50lbs)
then regain some wight lack of mobility
then treatments PTS cortisone shots vioxx
then stomach irratation swelling add prevacid
then last steriod shot skin breakdowns on backside (similar to paraplygics ie bed sores) from sitting and bed rest
then ER visitist iv antibotics /followup w/dermatoligst then prescribes daily antibotics oral &topical regime of 2more meds then allows no baths only showers no hotubs watch pools swimsuit time
then having side affects from oral antiboic /watch forcandida/infct
then stop going to ymca no more relaxtion hotubs therp or baths
NOW stopped walking swimming more weight gain and more pf pain
dtriving stick shift hurting on top of reg stuff/start wheelchairin walmart DEPRESSED no suprise/ started antidepressant medication!NOW feel housebound and 2xs my age (hey i used to just have a mildly sore foot and be an otherwise healthy 37 yr old mom) yuck .....moral of story self care is important and so is HOPE to reverse this spiral back up

Re: re spiraling health problems after pf

CatherineL on 4/12/02 at 15:54 (079463)

Lisa

You sound very much like me just a few weeks back... and we're the same age!!!

I have been dealing with 2 yrs PF, yrs of daily Migraines and/or tension headaches, kidney stones (hospitalalized 6 weeks ago), Moderate disk degeneration, weight gain, aches & pains, bad thrush from antibiotics.

In the last few weeks, things have gotten somewhat better and my outlook has improved with it. I have not had to use my temp handi-cap parking permit in a couple of weeks. My dr. took me off the antibiotics, and also put me on a med for my tension. I'm feeling 50% better and hope it keeps up. The support I received here was great and helpful.

If you need to take anti-depressants and wheelchair walmart, go for it. Getting out is very important to feeling better about things.

Hope things getter better for you also,
Catherine

BrianG on 4/13/02 at 16:30 (079549)

Hi Lisa,

I highly recommend selling that stick shift you drive, and buy an automatic with cruise control. It may not help you get better, but I bet it helps to keep you from getting worse. And don't forget to tape at least a few times each week. One step at a time.......

BranG

Carole C in NOLA on 4/13/02 at 16:36 (079550)

I don't see how anybody can stand a stick shift when they have PF. Even an automatic is rough on the feet!

I have an automatic in my Toyota Camry Solara. When I drove to Baton Rouge to the Birkenstock store a couple of months ago (about a 75 minute drive) I even drove with my left foot for a while to give my right foot a rest when there was no traffic on the interstate. (Ssssh! I could probably get a ticket for that! LOL)

I still don't use the cruise control, though I know I should.

Carole C

Re: I have a stick-shift car..

Mahatmelissama on 4/15/02 at 10:11 (079689)

I drove it to Oregon and back (over 600 miles from here) when my PF first started kicking in.

I now have more problems since it got chronic in the last 2 years...I usually just rest my left food in the space next to the shift clutch thing
and rest my right foot ON TOP OF THE shift clutch thing (not pushing down too hear, just resting). Works for me...but I don't drive that much anymore (work close to home). Church is 25 miles from me...that is the farthest I go.

Valerie S on 4/15/02 at 15:35 (079728)

Add me to the list of PF'ers with a stick shift.

I love my little car, but I rue the day I got it now... I don't think we can sell it right now in this economy, and we owe on it... besides, it's great on gas! hee hee... how does 40 mpg sound?

Long trips are torture, for sure, but frequent stops for fresh air and stretching really help me a lot. I also can turn my foot sideways and do the old dorsiflex while keeping my foot on the gas... (another shhhhh... don't tell .... hee hee). Only 3 1/2 more years of payments... ha ha...

BUT, my PF is a heck of a lot better than it was before, and I do all the driving in the house. So even though I'm sure it's not helping me get better faster, I am still progressing, despite the stick shift. I make almost weekly trips downstate to see my old friends too... a 2 1/2 hour drive each way...

I remember this time last year, when the sun came out and the birds started singing again... I was stuck inside, crying and feeling sorry for myself because I could barely walk. Now I feel so FREE! Of course, I still have limits, but it sure is great to be able to get out in the sunshine and walk around the block again... Yesterday, my neighbors were walking by with their dog, and I got up and caught up to them (when they stopped to pick up the poopoo... hee hee) and had a nice little jaunt around the block... what a lucky woman I am!

I'm still amazed at how easy it is to take little things for granted in life, such as WALKING.... My aunt brought up BREATHING the other day... boy, can you imagine? Having asthma or worse? Count your blessings... no matter how bad you think you have it, there's always someone who's having a rougher time than you are... anyone who can read this message board has a reason to thank their lucky stars.

I hope everyone finds happiness in the little things they have... I don't know about your neck of the woods, but it's pretending to be spring here this week, and we're loving it!!!

Happy trails,
Val.

Barbara S. on 4/15/02 at 21:03 (079781)

Hi I can't image having a stick-shift car. I have a hard time just going for a 10 min drive in automatic,been then tts is in my right foot. Today here in Milw it is Summer high of 88 record breaker. I'm like you were last year crying at all the people walking and walking their dogs. I have a rough time right now with just getting to the bathroom and showering in the morning. APirl 22nd is surgery date for tts,praying everything will turn out great and I'll be walkin by end of summer early fall. Yes somewhere someone is all worse off and I also pray for them also. My husband told me today he took the week off next week just to take care of me, wasn't that just so sweet? Will keep everyone posted. God Bless!!Barbara S.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 21:37 (079783)

Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear that your feet are hurting this much! It is so difficult to just sit and do nothing, I know. I guess we all know, around here!

That is so sweet that your husband is going to take care of you next week. Maybe he can get a lot of groceries in that he can fix himself, so that you will be all set after the surgery and won't have to worry about that for a few weeks. April 22nd is only one more week! I hope that your surgery brings you happy feet and the mobility you dream of.

Carole C

Barbara S. on 4/16/02 at 07:07 (079798)

Thanks Carole C It should be fairly easy as my husband's not a meat and potatoe man. We enjoy soups,sandwiches and salads. His biggest challenge is going to be keeping me down,that's why I think he took off to make sure I stay off my foot. I have been telling him how important it is this time to put to weight on that foot for a few weeks. I told him it is not like the pf surgeon were Pod want me stretching and light weight exercises after 1 wk. But like I said it was 88 here in Milwaukee Wi. yesterday same today My husband son came over on Sat. and they put our screen porch up, so I'll have someplace to sit when it is nice.
We had a problem with our sump pump last Mon night and water got into my sons basement room, so I had to call carpet people to extract water out,disinfect the rug leave some fans,floor fans, to dry the area and they came back yesterday afternoon to clean the rug. Minimum charge of $100.00 so had them do our living room and and upstairs hallway. SO now I'll be able to sit it clean room at least and not look at dirty rug. Somethings just happen for a reason.
Today I have to have someone take our van to the shop as our first hot day and the air conditioner blew out hot air,and the passenger sliding door won't open from the inside. Well will keep everyone posted after surgery,this sight has been a very big help. THank you every one. God Bless and painless feet to everyone. Barbara S.

JudyS on 4/16/02 at 09:16 (079809)

Valerie - I expect to be somewhere around Traverse City in the first half of July.....perhaps we could get together?

Re: I have a stick-shift car..me too guys!

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 11:02 (079823)

I am on the hunt for a trailblazer or tahoe right now! Automatic for sure...my liffle stick shift has done me right for 7 years...but I am afraid the darn thing is killing my feet! Especially in Atlanta Traffic.

Re: Tahoe's

Rich on 4/16/02 at 14:15 (079854)

Just bought a Tahoe last November...I love it! It's been years since I even tried an automatic. Check around for second hand too...I found a loaded, leather int with only 17,000 miles...and saved quite alot of $$$. Mine's a 2000 and it look exactly like the 2001 models. I had my heart set on the Trailblazer at first. I stepped down in size from a Suburban! The Trailblazer felt too close and handled curves sort of 'soft'.

Good Luck...your feet will thank you!

Rich

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 17:24 (079874)

Thanks! Will take this info to my hubby...he'sthe buyer. ;-)
I think the tahoe would be nice too.....I liked the feel of it.
The Envoy is also just like the trailblazer though...all nice vehicles!

Re: YES JUDY !! Come see me !!

Valerie S on 4/16/02 at 17:47 (079879)

Judy, that would be GREEAAATT!! Are you coming up for the cherry festival or some other occasion like that? I would love to get together!

Here's my email if you want it ... valerah @ yahoo. com

hee hee... we Northview natives just HAVE to meet now, it's in the cards... hee hee...

The whole state of Michigan is in a heat wave now... I guess we're right along with Wisconsin on this one... 88 degrees today and yesterday too... this is AUGUST in APRIL... now we wait to see if its freezing rain or snow we get next... hee hee...

Val.

Re: Hey!

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 18:01 (079880)

Can I come to the heat wave too?

It is snowing outside.

Barf.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 18:07 (079882)

Wendy, I don't know where in Canada you live but the climate there is unreal! OH well, in a couple of months you will be cool and comfy while we are suffering from the heat and abysmal humidity down here. Then you can thumb your nose at us and say, 'Nyah, nyah!' (grin)

Carole C

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:18 (079884)

I messed up....meant it had been years for the 5-speed! No, I do not drive a standard Tahoe! LOL

I'm 5'9' and the Trailblazer felt like the dash was right in my lap. Plenty of legroom, just all under the dash. Plus the driver's seat felt like it leaned to the middle a bit. Have fun shopping and test drive everything! Hope you can find a great deal!

Rich

Valerie S on 4/16/02 at 20:46 (079914)

Wendy, really??

Come on over... I ran my air conditioning in the car today, for crying out loud!!

2 summers ago, I was in Canada over the fourth of July, I don't remember the town in Ontario, but it was north of where I live now... it was so STINKING HOT, it was awful... hee hee... 40C degrees, I think... what is that, like 102F?? And we were out in the beautiful Canadian wilderness with no electricity or running water either...

I really can't believe this heat we have now though...it's a little much actually... I was inside last night and my husband was out on the porch... I said, 'OH it's SO hot in here!' ... and went outside to find it even hotter outside... I was up and out this morning at 5 am, and it was like 80 then... a little too balmy for April in Michigan...

Lucky me, to live so close to the big lake... I'll be dipping my toes in there real soon, I think... probably take awhile for it to be warm enough to swim in, but if it's hot like this again tomorrow, my husband and I have already decided that we're going to test the water, just for kicks... hee hee..

Stay warm, Wendy...

Val.

Re: Thanks Val

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:36 (079928)

Actually - the snow I referred to lasted about 10 minutes. Then it was nice out. Spring weather. We do have snow in the forecast for tonight though - and about 3 hours north of here they were blasted with a major winter storm this week.

I have been in Michigan - but I don't remember exactly where - we drove through there on a trip while visiting in and around Chicago - it was a long time ago. I do remember it's very pretty. I remember that we stayed somewhere that they had asparugus growing - I think it's the first time I'd seen asparugus plants and I thought they looked like the little hairy guy off the flinstones. (If I remember correctly)

My cousins went to college in Grand Rapids - and I think her husband is from there. What part are you in (I can't remember)?

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:44 (079934)

Thanks Carole, I live in Calgary Alberta - we are at a very high altitude. The climate is actually so dry here normally - we have about desert level humidity. Because we are so close to the mountains - we can get some bizarre weather...with today just being one of those days. Snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

The forecast is good for the weekend though!!!

Maybe even good enough to plant sweet peas and poke around the dirt for the first time this year (I have iris's and chives poking up but that's about it.) I love the dirt, I'm very happy picking through there and finding worms to dump in my composter. Sometimes I even pull weeds and do other important stuff.

PF'rs beware - hauling heavy jugs of water is VERY bad for your feet. Use a hose.

JudyS on 4/16/02 at 22:51 (079937)

Valerie, I don't know when the festival is......but I'll probably be in TC around the 4th of July or therabouts. Speaking of Northview, I only just received an email from an old NHS pal who found me on Classmates.com. What a small world exists in our computers!

john h on 4/19/02 at 10:06 (080281)

Stick shift cars_ Did you know that at one time in the 50's that Chrysler had a car with buttons on the dash to do the shifting. you pressed a button for each shift. One of the car makers also had a car that had a clutch but you did not have to press on it except for reverse as the clutch pedal would automatically go in when you shifted gears.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 11:29 (080444)

I drove one of those cars with the buttons when I was a teenager, John! It belonged to a friend of my Dad. I don't remember what model of car it was, but I do remember it was pretty huge and I thought the suspension was kind of mushy. I told my Dad I liked his Olds with an automatic a lot better.

Carole C

Re: ah, yes the lovely corvair

SuzanneK on 4/20/02 at 13:56 (080473)

We had one of those push-button beauties, too. I greatly preferred the family's newer VW bug (67 model!) I still prefer a standard transmission - so much more fun to drive - although, not when the pf was in full force!

Re: Maybe the corvair too

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 16:54 (080490)

I was not aware that the corvair had push buttons too. The car I'm thinking of was not a compact car at all, but actually was something much larger. It was a real beast to drive!

Carole C

JudyS on 4/20/02 at 22:54 (080522)

Hey Wendy- I grew up in Grand Rapids.......what great thing would you like to know about it? How about that Valerie lived in my old neighborhood MANY years after I did? Or, how about that Grand Rapids is the furniture capital of the world? Didn't know that , did you? I was in an antique store out in the country a few years back and happened upon a 'Grand Rapids Rocker'.........now it's in my family room!
Then there's the whole Lear-Sigler thing........

JudyS on 4/20/02 at 23:12 (080524)

OK, who's talking about Corvairs? My very first car was a Corvair - a little black beauty. And of course, there's a story........
Way back in the early days, snow-states, like my home-state of Michigan, were notorious for salting roadways to make them passable in the winter snow - except the salt had a pretty horrible effect on the undersides of cars.
The underside of my Corvair began decaying.....
I was really poor so ignored the widening hole in the floor right under the front seat....(I think I stuffed it with Lay's Potato Chips bags....)
Went to the drive-in movie one night with my best friend and her sister in the Corvair. We went to the concession stand during intermission, got back to the Corvair, all got in the front seat and........bam, the darn seat went right through the decayed flooring and was resting on the ground!
We phoned a buddy who was at work in a local service station (not just a gas station back then.....) and he came out to the theater in his tow-truck, flashers going and making a bunch of movie-goers a bit unhappy!
I loved that car. Paid ninety dollars for it.
It did not have push-button shifting. My granddad had one of those gigantic Buicks that had the push button shifting and I can remember him letting me push the buttons as we drove along.
And to think that all I want now is leather seating and a CD player in my car!

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 10:19 (080550)

I have never been to Grand Rapids - but I hear it's nice.

CatherineL on 4/12/02 at 15:54 (079463)

Lisa

You sound very much like me just a few weeks back... and we're the same age!!!

I have been dealing with 2 yrs PF, yrs of daily Migraines and/or tension headaches, kidney stones (hospitalalized 6 weeks ago), Moderate disk degeneration, weight gain, aches & pains, bad thrush from antibiotics.

In the last few weeks, things have gotten somewhat better and my outlook has improved with it. I have not had to use my temp handi-cap parking permit in a couple of weeks. My dr. took me off the antibiotics, and also put me on a med for my tension. I'm feeling 50% better and hope it keeps up. The support I received here was great and helpful.

If you need to take anti-depressants and wheelchair walmart, go for it. Getting out is very important to feeling better about things.

Hope things getter better for you also,
Catherine

BrianG on 4/13/02 at 16:30 (079549)

Hi Lisa,

I highly recommend selling that stick shift you drive, and buy an automatic with cruise control. It may not help you get better, but I bet it helps to keep you from getting worse. And don't forget to tape at least a few times each week. One step at a time.......

BranG

Carole C in NOLA on 4/13/02 at 16:36 (079550)

I don't see how anybody can stand a stick shift when they have PF. Even an automatic is rough on the feet!

I have an automatic in my Toyota Camry Solara. When I drove to Baton Rouge to the Birkenstock store a couple of months ago (about a 75 minute drive) I even drove with my left foot for a while to give my right foot a rest when there was no traffic on the interstate. (Ssssh! I could probably get a ticket for that! LOL)

I still don't use the cruise control, though I know I should.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 4/15/02 at 10:11 (079689)

I drove it to Oregon and back (over 600 miles from here) when my PF first started kicking in.

I now have more problems since it got chronic in the last 2 years...I usually just rest my left food in the space next to the shift clutch thing
and rest my right foot ON TOP OF THE shift clutch thing (not pushing down too hear, just resting). Works for me...but I don't drive that much anymore (work close to home). Church is 25 miles from me...that is the farthest I go.

Valerie S on 4/15/02 at 15:35 (079728)

Add me to the list of PF'ers with a stick shift.

I love my little car, but I rue the day I got it now... I don't think we can sell it right now in this economy, and we owe on it... besides, it's great on gas! hee hee... how does 40 mpg sound?

Long trips are torture, for sure, but frequent stops for fresh air and stretching really help me a lot. I also can turn my foot sideways and do the old dorsiflex while keeping my foot on the gas... (another shhhhh... don't tell .... hee hee). Only 3 1/2 more years of payments... ha ha...

BUT, my PF is a heck of a lot better than it was before, and I do all the driving in the house. So even though I'm sure it's not helping me get better faster, I am still progressing, despite the stick shift. I make almost weekly trips downstate to see my old friends too... a 2 1/2 hour drive each way...

I remember this time last year, when the sun came out and the birds started singing again... I was stuck inside, crying and feeling sorry for myself because I could barely walk. Now I feel so FREE! Of course, I still have limits, but it sure is great to be able to get out in the sunshine and walk around the block again... Yesterday, my neighbors were walking by with their dog, and I got up and caught up to them (when they stopped to pick up the poopoo... hee hee) and had a nice little jaunt around the block... what a lucky woman I am!

I'm still amazed at how easy it is to take little things for granted in life, such as WALKING.... My aunt brought up BREATHING the other day... boy, can you imagine? Having asthma or worse? Count your blessings... no matter how bad you think you have it, there's always someone who's having a rougher time than you are... anyone who can read this message board has a reason to thank their lucky stars.

I hope everyone finds happiness in the little things they have... I don't know about your neck of the woods, but it's pretending to be spring here this week, and we're loving it!!!

Happy trails,
Val.

Barbara S. on 4/15/02 at 21:03 (079781)

Hi I can't image having a stick-shift car. I have a hard time just going for a 10 min drive in automatic,been then tts is in my right foot. Today here in Milw it is Summer high of 88 record breaker. I'm like you were last year crying at all the people walking and walking their dogs. I have a rough time right now with just getting to the bathroom and showering in the morning. APirl 22nd is surgery date for tts,praying everything will turn out great and I'll be walkin by end of summer early fall. Yes somewhere someone is all worse off and I also pray for them also. My husband told me today he took the week off next week just to take care of me, wasn't that just so sweet? Will keep everyone posted. God Bless!!Barbara S.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 21:37 (079783)

Barbara, I'm so sorry to hear that your feet are hurting this much! It is so difficult to just sit and do nothing, I know. I guess we all know, around here!

That is so sweet that your husband is going to take care of you next week. Maybe he can get a lot of groceries in that he can fix himself, so that you will be all set after the surgery and won't have to worry about that for a few weeks. April 22nd is only one more week! I hope that your surgery brings you happy feet and the mobility you dream of.

Carole C

Barbara S. on 4/16/02 at 07:07 (079798)

Thanks Carole C It should be fairly easy as my husband's not a meat and potatoe man. We enjoy soups,sandwiches and salads. His biggest challenge is going to be keeping me down,that's why I think he took off to make sure I stay off my foot. I have been telling him how important it is this time to put to weight on that foot for a few weeks. I told him it is not like the pf surgeon were Pod want me stretching and light weight exercises after 1 wk. But like I said it was 88 here in Milwaukee Wi. yesterday same today My husband son came over on Sat. and they put our screen porch up, so I'll have someplace to sit when it is nice.
We had a problem with our sump pump last Mon night and water got into my sons basement room, so I had to call carpet people to extract water out,disinfect the rug leave some fans,floor fans, to dry the area and they came back yesterday afternoon to clean the rug. Minimum charge of $100.00 so had them do our living room and and upstairs hallway. SO now I'll be able to sit it clean room at least and not look at dirty rug. Somethings just happen for a reason.
Today I have to have someone take our van to the shop as our first hot day and the air conditioner blew out hot air,and the passenger sliding door won't open from the inside. Well will keep everyone posted after surgery,this sight has been a very big help. THank you every one. God Bless and painless feet to everyone. Barbara S.

JudyS on 4/16/02 at 09:16 (079809)

Valerie - I expect to be somewhere around Traverse City in the first half of July.....perhaps we could get together?

Re: I have a stick-shift car..me too guys!

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 11:02 (079823)

I am on the hunt for a trailblazer or tahoe right now! Automatic for sure...my liffle stick shift has done me right for 7 years...but I am afraid the darn thing is killing my feet! Especially in Atlanta Traffic.

Rich on 4/16/02 at 14:15 (079854)

Just bought a Tahoe last November...I love it! It's been years since I even tried an automatic. Check around for second hand too...I found a loaded, leather int with only 17,000 miles...and saved quite alot of $$$. Mine's a 2000 and it look exactly like the 2001 models. I had my heart set on the Trailblazer at first. I stepped down in size from a Suburban! The Trailblazer felt too close and handled curves sort of 'soft'.

Good Luck...your feet will thank you!

Rich

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 17:24 (079874)

Thanks! Will take this info to my hubby...he'sthe buyer. ;-)
I think the tahoe would be nice too.....I liked the feel of it.
The Envoy is also just like the trailblazer though...all nice vehicles!

Valerie S on 4/16/02 at 17:47 (079879)

Judy, that would be GREEAAATT!! Are you coming up for the cherry festival or some other occasion like that? I would love to get together!

Here's my email if you want it ... valerah @ yahoo. com

hee hee... we Northview natives just HAVE to meet now, it's in the cards... hee hee...

The whole state of Michigan is in a heat wave now... I guess we're right along with Wisconsin on this one... 88 degrees today and yesterday too... this is AUGUST in APRIL... now we wait to see if its freezing rain or snow we get next... hee hee...

Val.

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 18:01 (079880)

Can I come to the heat wave too?

It is snowing outside.

Barf.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 18:07 (079882)

Wendy, I don't know where in Canada you live but the climate there is unreal! OH well, in a couple of months you will be cool and comfy while we are suffering from the heat and abysmal humidity down here. Then you can thumb your nose at us and say, 'Nyah, nyah!' (grin)

Carole C

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:18 (079884)

I messed up....meant it had been years for the 5-speed! No, I do not drive a standard Tahoe! LOL

I'm 5'9' and the Trailblazer felt like the dash was right in my lap. Plenty of legroom, just all under the dash. Plus the driver's seat felt like it leaned to the middle a bit. Have fun shopping and test drive everything! Hope you can find a great deal!

Rich

Valerie S on 4/16/02 at 20:46 (079914)

Wendy, really??

Come on over... I ran my air conditioning in the car today, for crying out loud!!

2 summers ago, I was in Canada over the fourth of July, I don't remember the town in Ontario, but it was north of where I live now... it was so STINKING HOT, it was awful... hee hee... 40C degrees, I think... what is that, like 102F?? And we were out in the beautiful Canadian wilderness with no electricity or running water either...

I really can't believe this heat we have now though...it's a little much actually... I was inside last night and my husband was out on the porch... I said, 'OH it's SO hot in here!' ... and went outside to find it even hotter outside... I was up and out this morning at 5 am, and it was like 80 then... a little too balmy for April in Michigan...

Lucky me, to live so close to the big lake... I'll be dipping my toes in there real soon, I think... probably take awhile for it to be warm enough to swim in, but if it's hot like this again tomorrow, my husband and I have already decided that we're going to test the water, just for kicks... hee hee..

Stay warm, Wendy...

Val.

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:36 (079928)

Actually - the snow I referred to lasted about 10 minutes. Then it was nice out. Spring weather. We do have snow in the forecast for tonight though - and about 3 hours north of here they were blasted with a major winter storm this week.

I have been in Michigan - but I don't remember exactly where - we drove through there on a trip while visiting in and around Chicago - it was a long time ago. I do remember it's very pretty. I remember that we stayed somewhere that they had asparugus growing - I think it's the first time I'd seen asparugus plants and I thought they looked like the little hairy guy off the flinstones. (If I remember correctly)

My cousins went to college in Grand Rapids - and I think her husband is from there. What part are you in (I can't remember)?

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:44 (079934)

Thanks Carole, I live in Calgary Alberta - we are at a very high altitude. The climate is actually so dry here normally - we have about desert level humidity. Because we are so close to the mountains - we can get some bizarre weather...with today just being one of those days. Snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow.

The forecast is good for the weekend though!!!

Maybe even good enough to plant sweet peas and poke around the dirt for the first time this year (I have iris's and chives poking up but that's about it.) I love the dirt, I'm very happy picking through there and finding worms to dump in my composter. Sometimes I even pull weeds and do other important stuff.

PF'rs beware - hauling heavy jugs of water is VERY bad for your feet. Use a hose.

JudyS on 4/16/02 at 22:51 (079937)

Valerie, I don't know when the festival is......but I'll probably be in TC around the 4th of July or therabouts. Speaking of Northview, I only just received an email from an old NHS pal who found me on Classmates.com. What a small world exists in our computers!

john h on 4/19/02 at 10:06 (080281)

Stick shift cars_ Did you know that at one time in the 50's that Chrysler had a car with buttons on the dash to do the shifting. you pressed a button for each shift. One of the car makers also had a car that had a clutch but you did not have to press on it except for reverse as the clutch pedal would automatically go in when you shifted gears.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 11:29 (080444)

I drove one of those cars with the buttons when I was a teenager, John! It belonged to a friend of my Dad. I don't remember what model of car it was, but I do remember it was pretty huge and I thought the suspension was kind of mushy. I told my Dad I liked his Olds with an automatic a lot better.

Carole C

Re: ah, yes the lovely corvair

SuzanneK on 4/20/02 at 13:56 (080473)

We had one of those push-button beauties, too. I greatly preferred the family's newer VW bug (67 model!) I still prefer a standard transmission - so much more fun to drive - although, not when the pf was in full force!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/20/02 at 16:54 (080490)

I was not aware that the corvair had push buttons too. The car I'm thinking of was not a compact car at all, but actually was something much larger. It was a real beast to drive!

Carole C

JudyS on 4/20/02 at 22:54 (080522)

Hey Wendy- I grew up in Grand Rapids.......what great thing would you like to know about it? How about that Valerie lived in my old neighborhood MANY years after I did? Or, how about that Grand Rapids is the furniture capital of the world? Didn't know that , did you? I was in an antique store out in the country a few years back and happened upon a 'Grand Rapids Rocker'.........now it's in my family room!
Then there's the whole Lear-Sigler thing........

JudyS on 4/20/02 at 23:12 (080524)

OK, who's talking about Corvairs? My very first car was a Corvair - a little black beauty. And of course, there's a story........
Way back in the early days, snow-states, like my home-state of Michigan, were notorious for salting roadways to make them passable in the winter snow - except the salt had a pretty horrible effect on the undersides of cars.
The underside of my Corvair began decaying.....
I was really poor so ignored the widening hole in the floor right under the front seat....(I think I stuffed it with Lay's Potato Chips bags....)
Went to the drive-in movie one night with my best friend and her sister in the Corvair. We went to the concession stand during intermission, got back to the Corvair, all got in the front seat and........bam, the darn seat went right through the decayed flooring and was resting on the ground!
We phoned a buddy who was at work in a local service station (not just a gas station back then.....) and he came out to the theater in his tow-truck, flashers going and making a bunch of movie-goers a bit unhappy!
I loved that car. Paid ninety dollars for it.
It did not have push-button shifting. My granddad had one of those gigantic Buicks that had the push button shifting and I can remember him letting me push the buttons as we drove along.
And to think that all I want now is leather seating and a CD player in my car!

wendyn on 4/21/02 at 10:19 (080550)

I have never been to Grand Rapids - but I hear it's nice.