Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

re;have custom orthodics but does to shoe they are in matter

Posted by lisa k on 4/12/02 at 15:30 (079460)

hi, i keep hearing the term sas shoes /i have the sport orthodic inserts made from plaster mold of my foot and my pod said to just put it in a good tennis shoe/i found less pain when put in a very flexible light weight show with no arch thing already built in/ ive walked weird- pronation since childhood/birks i do know about ,but cant put my orthodic inserts into them -just an either or situation/ most recently these 'pacific' plastic rubber birks for ' no barefoot even in shower order by pod' - give alot which feels at least different / it seems there is now more pain when i wear the orthodics i dont know what to wear not walking much anyway at the moment

Re: re;have custom orthodics but does to shoe they are in matter

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 10:54 (079600)

Yes, Lisa. From what I've read here, I believe that the shoe that the custom orthotics are in does seem to matter at least to some extent. Mine don't fit in any of my other shoes, so I have not tried wearing them in any other shoes.

My custom orthotics were fitted to a particular shoe, and then were custom adjusted while in that shoe in order to correct my gait even more perfectly. This tweaking was done during as part of the custom fitting process, after the C.Ped had me walk for her with them in those particular shoes.

I would personally tend to avoid the 'very flexible light weight' tennis shoes you describe, in favor of one that bends at the ball of the foot but not at the arch. That way the arch tissues are less likely to be over-stretched and further injured. I had a big set-back after wearing my Easy Spirits for just part of one day on January 8th, because they are very flexible too.

If wearing your orthotics causes you more pain than not wearing them, I think you need to take them back and have them adjusted! Take the shoe that you will be wearing them in, and have them fitted into that shoe and adjusted properly. Make sure they check your gait while walking with them in that shoe after they adjust them. That adjustment should not cost much and will probably be free, at least the first time or two.

I'm glad you got the Birkenstock Pacifics for shower shoes! I tried to get some but they were out of them, so I got another brand. The Pacifics should be great in the shower, but I suspect the regular Birkenstocks are probably better for your feet than the Pacifics when you aren't in the shower.

Carole C

Re: re;have custom orthodics but does to shoe they are in matter

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 10:54 (079600)

Yes, Lisa. From what I've read here, I believe that the shoe that the custom orthotics are in does seem to matter at least to some extent. Mine don't fit in any of my other shoes, so I have not tried wearing them in any other shoes.

My custom orthotics were fitted to a particular shoe, and then were custom adjusted while in that shoe in order to correct my gait even more perfectly. This tweaking was done during as part of the custom fitting process, after the C.Ped had me walk for her with them in those particular shoes.

I would personally tend to avoid the 'very flexible light weight' tennis shoes you describe, in favor of one that bends at the ball of the foot but not at the arch. That way the arch tissues are less likely to be over-stretched and further injured. I had a big set-back after wearing my Easy Spirits for just part of one day on January 8th, because they are very flexible too.

If wearing your orthotics causes you more pain than not wearing them, I think you need to take them back and have them adjusted! Take the shoe that you will be wearing them in, and have them fitted into that shoe and adjusted properly. Make sure they check your gait while walking with them in that shoe after they adjust them. That adjustment should not cost much and will probably be free, at least the first time or two.

I'm glad you got the Birkenstock Pacifics for shower shoes! I tried to get some but they were out of them, so I got another brand. The Pacifics should be great in the shower, but I suspect the regular Birkenstocks are probably better for your feet than the Pacifics when you aren't in the shower.

Carole C