Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need newest CPT Code for ESWT for PF

Posted by Ardee W. on 4/12/02 at 17:07 (079466)

I have a CPT Code: 0020T. My insurance company does not show any 'usual and customary charges' for this code. Pacific Life is the main insurance with my MT - WY Carpenters Health & Welfare being a branch. The lady I am corresponding with is trying to find an updated code?

The code I got was on the AMA website. As I understand it, it is a 'pre-release' code before the May 2002 issuing.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Re: Need newest CPT Code for ESWT for PF

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 18:29 (079477)

Hi

That is the code. to use. You may have to use an unlised code for foot . Ask your insurance company what code they used for this procedure. The fee hasn't been determined by the insurance company so it is pretty much a deal between the insurance company, the doctor, and in your case healthroncics ( that is the company that owns the ossatron).If there is any other questions please don't hestitate to ask. Get your doctor involved with this

Ardee W. on 4/12/02 at 22:13 (079501)

Thanks, Dr. Z. Did you see my question about being able to drive myself home in three days after the treatment? It would be a three hour mountain passes drive. The doctor said I should be able to do that.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/02 at 00:39 (079505)

You should be able to drive right after the procedure provided no IV sedation and only one foot. We have many patients fly in and leave the very same day.

John h on 4/13/02 at 10:09 (079517)

Immediately after my ESWT treatments I jumped into a car and drove 3 hours to Baltimore. Walked a mile or more through the airport, flew to St. Louis and walked around the airport for 5 hours and then flew on to Little Rock. I had no ankle block and I did this on three occasions so I would be supprised if you have a problem. I do not know how your feet feel after the high energy Ossatron which may be a whole different story.

Re: Thanks John

Ardee W. on 4/15/02 at 01:54 (079672)

WOW! And you have had four treatments, right? Yes, I am trying to get the Ossa Tron treatment and it will be done with an IV sedation.

Ardee W. on 4/15/02 at 01:56 (079673)

I am looking at a treatment with Ossa Tron on both feet and with IV sedation.....so, you think I should plan for the three days at my son's home before driving home still? Thanks for all your help.

BrianG on 4/17/02 at 19:27 (080043)

Hi Ardee,

I had both heels done with the Dornier, not the OssaTron. I believe both are comparible though. I was able to drive home 6 hours, immediatly after my treatment. It was actually much harder to walk, than it was to drive. I have an automatic, with cruise control. To me, thats a big help. Not sure I could have done it with a stick shift though. To me, it seems like a confidence thing. If you think you can do it, you probably can. If you not used to driving with numb feet, it may be a problem for you. I had numerous injections in the past, that numbed my feet, both corizone and polotherapy. I knew what to expect, and had no problems at all. Good luck

BrianG

Re: Thanks BrianG

Ardee W. on 4/17/02 at 21:38 (080057)

Thanks for the info and good wishes! Keep posting your progress! I have never the injections and thus numb feet. How long were your feet numb for? I do know I take longer than most to come out of anesthetics....hope all is going well for you.....as I understand from these boards, it can take up to 12 weeks for noticeable results.....be careful!

Re: No new pain today!

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 16:39 (080185)

Thanks, I'm being very careful. Different anesthetics will last shorter, or some longer. Dr. Z used a combination of short, and long on me. I got the injections about 11am, I was still driving when the Lidocaine wore off, at about 5pm. Got home at 7pm. It really wasn't a problem for me, but I had been numbed before, and knew what to expect. If I had a longer distance to walk, like at an airport, I would have needed crutches, or a wheelchair. I really didn't have any pins and needles either, when the Lidocaine wore off, I just noticed my feet were more uncomfertable. You may want a driver for the 1st time.

BrianG

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/12/02 at 18:29 (079477)

Hi

That is the code. to use. You may have to use an unlised code for foot . Ask your insurance company what code they used for this procedure. The fee hasn't been determined by the insurance company so it is pretty much a deal between the insurance company, the doctor, and in your case healthroncics ( that is the company that owns the ossatron).If there is any other questions please don't hestitate to ask. Get your doctor involved with this

Ardee W. on 4/12/02 at 22:13 (079501)

Thanks, Dr. Z. Did you see my question about being able to drive myself home in three days after the treatment? It would be a three hour mountain passes drive. The doctor said I should be able to do that.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/13/02 at 00:39 (079505)

You should be able to drive right after the procedure provided no IV sedation and only one foot. We have many patients fly in and leave the very same day.

John h on 4/13/02 at 10:09 (079517)

Immediately after my ESWT treatments I jumped into a car and drove 3 hours to Baltimore. Walked a mile or more through the airport, flew to St. Louis and walked around the airport for 5 hours and then flew on to Little Rock. I had no ankle block and I did this on three occasions so I would be supprised if you have a problem. I do not know how your feet feel after the high energy Ossatron which may be a whole different story.

Re: Thanks John

Ardee W. on 4/15/02 at 01:54 (079672)

WOW! And you have had four treatments, right? Yes, I am trying to get the Ossa Tron treatment and it will be done with an IV sedation.

Ardee W. on 4/15/02 at 01:56 (079673)

I am looking at a treatment with Ossa Tron on both feet and with IV sedation.....so, you think I should plan for the three days at my son's home before driving home still? Thanks for all your help.

BrianG on 4/17/02 at 19:27 (080043)

Hi Ardee,

I had both heels done with the Dornier, not the OssaTron. I believe both are comparible though. I was able to drive home 6 hours, immediatly after my treatment. It was actually much harder to walk, than it was to drive. I have an automatic, with cruise control. To me, thats a big help. Not sure I could have done it with a stick shift though. To me, it seems like a confidence thing. If you think you can do it, you probably can. If you not used to driving with numb feet, it may be a problem for you. I had numerous injections in the past, that numbed my feet, both corizone and polotherapy. I knew what to expect, and had no problems at all. Good luck

BrianG

Re: Thanks BrianG

Ardee W. on 4/17/02 at 21:38 (080057)

Thanks for the info and good wishes! Keep posting your progress! I have never the injections and thus numb feet. How long were your feet numb for? I do know I take longer than most to come out of anesthetics....hope all is going well for you.....as I understand from these boards, it can take up to 12 weeks for noticeable results.....be careful!

Re: No new pain today!

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 16:39 (080185)

Thanks, I'm being very careful. Different anesthetics will last shorter, or some longer. Dr. Z used a combination of short, and long on me. I got the injections about 11am, I was still driving when the Lidocaine wore off, at about 5pm. Got home at 7pm. It really wasn't a problem for me, but I had been numbed before, and knew what to expect. If I had a longer distance to walk, like at an airport, I would have needed crutches, or a wheelchair. I really didn't have any pins and needles either, when the Lidocaine wore off, I just noticed my feet were more uncomfertable. You may want a driver for the 1st time.

BrianG