Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Scary!

Posted by Carmen on 4/12/02 at 19:04 (079486)

I have had a little bit of time to read lately and it scares me how many people are just prepared toget surgery done just because their doctor says to!
Surgery is not a quick 'fix'. I wish we could have something on the home page that says 'BEFORE HAVING SURGERY READ THIS'
and have a whole page dedicated to the other possibilites and things to do before surgery!

Re: Scary!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/12/02 at 19:38 (079491)

People seem to think that getting healthy feet again after PF is just like getting a car fixed. Just take it to the mechanic, pay a lot of money, and presto! End of problem.

It's incredible how many people figure they can just go get surgery and get it taken care of, rather than 'wasting their time' with conservative treatments. Well, maybe not SO incredible... I have to admit, I too thought that surgery would provide me with a quick cure, before I knew more about PF. Adding to my confusion, the man I was dating told me his late mother had heelspurs, got surgery, and was back on her feet in just a few weeks with no more problems. I could only wish!

I think what really opened my eyes was a post somewhere on these message boards that gave percentages. It was something like 90% recovery with conservative means, but only 65% with surgery, give or take some percentage points because I can't remember exactly what the numbers were. But at any rate, the percentages told me loud and clear that surgery was not for me until I'd given conservative treatments every chance possible.

Getting PF is like having a baby. Why, you ask? Well gee. Maybe I'm stretching this just a tad, but here's what I'm thinking:

I think that the HUGE amount of work involved in taking care of a baby is something that's underplayed in movies, books, and conversations, to the point that many young parents-to-be are unaware of what they are getting into.

Similarly, I think that most people are unaware of the fact that PF, one of the most common of medical conditions, can take so long to cure even with the best of treatments. It's sad.

Carole C

Laurie R on 4/12/02 at 19:42 (079492)

I agree with you Carmen . I think their are many tests that should be done and a few second opinions and much conservative treatments before any type of surgery is done. Thank God that I found out I have RSD before my up coming surgery . It really could of been bad if I did not know first. That is the whole reason behind me having the epidural catheter implanted before my surgery on the same day .... This way hopefully the RSD will stay under control after the surgery . Laurie R

nancy s. on 4/13/02 at 17:19 (079553)

carmen, it's great you highlighted this. it can't be mentioned too often. probably most of us, and i was one, who develop pf never even heard of it before, so we just go along with what our given podiatrist recommends.

the one i had for eight long miserable months tried a cortisone shot, nsaids, some really shabby rock-hard plastic $315 orthotics, and then set me up for endoscopic surgery. i was so relieved i was scheduled for this 'quick fix'! then i got a little nervous and looked up my condition on the Net -- and found heelspurs.com.

the folks here set me straight right away -- eight months was way too early to consider surgery, especially since my pod had ignored or bypassed almost all the usual conservative treatments. no PT, no stretching recommendations, no look at gait -- i mean, i even asked him if i was wearing proper shoes, and he looked at them FROM ACROSS THE ROOM and said, 'they look ok.'

it's been a long road, but i still say i'd take it over a possibly screwed-up surgery any day. those who have tried every conservative treatment over a long period of time and not improved: they are the ones to be considering surgery, as well as those who have developed additional long-term problems, such as our dear laurie.

nancy

wendyn on 4/13/02 at 23:54 (079579)

Carmen, I had a pod who was anxious to do a quick TTS release for me. Being uneducated and in desperate pain - I would have let him do it, but fortunately I had the internet and started doing my own research. In the end, my symptoms were eventually diagnosed as RSD, a TTS release by the pod could have proven disastrous.

It really scares me when I think of how easily it could have happened.

Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 10:12 (079815)

Hi Carmen;
All I can say is Thank God for this web-site. I believe you had posted me a few pointers. I am a RN and had only heard a bit of PF but had no idea of all the treatments available. Surgery for me is on the very back burner, infact it is not even an option for me right now even though my orthopod has mentioned it. Another thing I find scary is the amount of cortisone injections he would give me. He told me the end result would be the release of the fascia which would be what the surgery would do anyway. I am glad that I had the insight to start researching this a little further. So many people take what their MD says as the WORD and there are other options.
Diane O.

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 11:01 (079822)

good for you Diane!! Yes...I was told yesterday by my orthopedic 'Do NOT let anyone cut your foot...you will regret it'.
by the end of our first visit he was pretty sure I am not the type of person to give in to a doctor on something of that magnitude.
You are lucky you can actually 'feel' relief somedays...this means surgery would be a huge mistake in my eyes...it is not a quick fix and I am so glad you recognized that early.
Did you get some Danskos for work?

Carole C in NOLA on 4/12/02 at 19:38 (079491)

People seem to think that getting healthy feet again after PF is just like getting a car fixed. Just take it to the mechanic, pay a lot of money, and presto! End of problem.

It's incredible how many people figure they can just go get surgery and get it taken care of, rather than 'wasting their time' with conservative treatments. Well, maybe not SO incredible... I have to admit, I too thought that surgery would provide me with a quick cure, before I knew more about PF. Adding to my confusion, the man I was dating told me his late mother had heelspurs, got surgery, and was back on her feet in just a few weeks with no more problems. I could only wish!

I think what really opened my eyes was a post somewhere on these message boards that gave percentages. It was something like 90% recovery with conservative means, but only 65% with surgery, give or take some percentage points because I can't remember exactly what the numbers were. But at any rate, the percentages told me loud and clear that surgery was not for me until I'd given conservative treatments every chance possible.

Getting PF is like having a baby. Why, you ask? Well gee. Maybe I'm stretching this just a tad, but here's what I'm thinking:

I think that the HUGE amount of work involved in taking care of a baby is something that's underplayed in movies, books, and conversations, to the point that many young parents-to-be are unaware of what they are getting into.

Similarly, I think that most people are unaware of the fact that PF, one of the most common of medical conditions, can take so long to cure even with the best of treatments. It's sad.

Carole C

Laurie R on 4/12/02 at 19:42 (079492)

I agree with you Carmen . I think their are many tests that should be done and a few second opinions and much conservative treatments before any type of surgery is done. Thank God that I found out I have RSD before my up coming surgery . It really could of been bad if I did not know first. That is the whole reason behind me having the epidural catheter implanted before my surgery on the same day .... This way hopefully the RSD will stay under control after the surgery . Laurie R

nancy s. on 4/13/02 at 17:19 (079553)

carmen, it's great you highlighted this. it can't be mentioned too often. probably most of us, and i was one, who develop pf never even heard of it before, so we just go along with what our given podiatrist recommends.

the one i had for eight long miserable months tried a cortisone shot, nsaids, some really shabby rock-hard plastic $315 orthotics, and then set me up for endoscopic surgery. i was so relieved i was scheduled for this 'quick fix'! then i got a little nervous and looked up my condition on the Net -- and found heelspurs.com.

the folks here set me straight right away -- eight months was way too early to consider surgery, especially since my pod had ignored or bypassed almost all the usual conservative treatments. no PT, no stretching recommendations, no look at gait -- i mean, i even asked him if i was wearing proper shoes, and he looked at them FROM ACROSS THE ROOM and said, 'they look ok.'

it's been a long road, but i still say i'd take it over a possibly screwed-up surgery any day. those who have tried every conservative treatment over a long period of time and not improved: they are the ones to be considering surgery, as well as those who have developed additional long-term problems, such as our dear laurie.

nancy

wendyn on 4/13/02 at 23:54 (079579)

Carmen, I had a pod who was anxious to do a quick TTS release for me. Being uneducated and in desperate pain - I would have let him do it, but fortunately I had the internet and started doing my own research. In the end, my symptoms were eventually diagnosed as RSD, a TTS release by the pod could have proven disastrous.

It really scares me when I think of how easily it could have happened.

Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 10:12 (079815)

Hi Carmen;
All I can say is Thank God for this web-site. I believe you had posted me a few pointers. I am a RN and had only heard a bit of PF but had no idea of all the treatments available. Surgery for me is on the very back burner, infact it is not even an option for me right now even though my orthopod has mentioned it. Another thing I find scary is the amount of cortisone injections he would give me. He told me the end result would be the release of the fascia which would be what the surgery would do anyway. I am glad that I had the insight to start researching this a little further. So many people take what their MD says as the WORD and there are other options.
Diane O.

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 11:01 (079822)

good for you Diane!! Yes...I was told yesterday by my orthopedic 'Do NOT let anyone cut your foot...you will regret it'.
by the end of our first visit he was pretty sure I am not the type of person to give in to a doctor on something of that magnitude.
You are lucky you can actually 'feel' relief somedays...this means surgery would be a huge mistake in my eyes...it is not a quick fix and I am so glad you recognized that early.
Did you get some Danskos for work?