Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

dropped a glass jar on foot years ago and have LOTS of trouble with it.

Posted by Brandy on 4/13/02 at 22:55 (079571)

Several years ago I dropped a full glass apple juice jar (a quart jar not on of the little ones) on the big toe joint of my left foot. It was very badly bruised and was quite painful for a long time. I never went to the doctor about it.

Recently it has become more painful and the shape of my foot has been changing for a while. Practically, my whole left foot is different from my right now. The joint is larger and all my toes have begun to squeeze together and migrate toward my big toe. The arch is much higher on my left foot than my right. It is constantly painful even when I am sitting or in bed at night. I cannot wear shoes with any type of hill now because it is too painful.

I think I walk on the sides of my feet (the side with the small toe) to avoid pain either in my foot. One whole side of my tennis shoes will be flat after about a week of wear. The other side will still be fluffy.

I finally went to a podiatrist several weeks ago. I expected him to do an xray first thing because the jar probably broke something. All he did was look at the top of my foot, bend my toe back and forth and ask him if it hurt (well duh), and finally put a tuning fork on top of my joint and ask me if I could feel it (I could). He did no xray and didn't do an extensive look at my foot. He spent most of the time asking me why I wasn't in school and how hard he worked to get thru college.

He pronounced me to have a damaged joint that needs to be replaced and to have arthritis. He wrote a prescription for some insert that would lift my arch and put more pressure on the big toe end of my foot because he thought I walked on that side instead of the other side - despite my soles showing the opposite. I didn't get it filled. I don't think I could stand the pain of having all that pressure on my already painful toe joint.

Any ideas?

Re: dropped a glass jar on foot years ago and have LOTS of trouble with it.

Carmen on 4/14/02 at 09:41 (079594)

I am not a doc but I would get to a pod that takes x rays.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 11:26 (079605)

Me too, seek a second opinion, or third! He should at least check to see if he's dealing with an old fracture, it seems to me (though I'm not a foot doctor either). Plus it doesn't sound like he's taking you seriously. He sounds like a jerk or at the very least there is a communication problem.

About dropping a full glass apple juice jar on your toe, all I can say is

**** OUCH!!!!!! OW OW OW!!! *****

That sounds SO painful.

Carole C

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:37 (079633)

Hi Brabdy:

Wow!! I would see another Doctor. The turning fork was to see if there was an aucte fracture. The vibration would cause pain in the joint if accute. The bending up and down was to check for dorsiflexion and platnarflexion fo the first metatarsal phalangeal joint. Did he use the word crepitus or is there any cracking when the joint is bent. Is there limiation when the joint bends upwards? How old are? Does the joint become more painful with weather changes?
Dr. john Cozzarelli

Brandy on 4/15/02 at 18:54 (079768)

He never mentioned crepitus all he said was joint replacement and arthritis.

I do not have anywhere near the same range of motion in my left (the injured side) as my right. I doesn't make a popping noise when it is moved, but you feel it popping in the joint. I can't move the big toe up at all from the injured joint. I can move the tip of it but not the whole toe from the joint area.

It doesn't really matter what the weather is it just always hurts.

I am almost certain that I fractured my joint. I don't think my joint could have took a drop from a full quart jar and not have been broken or fractured.

From all of the diagrams I have saw my foot looks exactly like a bunion.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/15/02 at 19:24 (079771)

It is sounds like you are describing Hallux Limitus. It is possible that you may require a joint replacement procedure. I would still seek a second opinion and get and X-RAy and or Fluoroscopic range of motion study. The fluoro study actually shows joint range of motion live. It is like moving picture X-RAY. I hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Brandy on 4/15/02 at 20:31 (079778)

Thank you very much.

Carmen on 4/14/02 at 09:41 (079594)

I am not a doc but I would get to a pod that takes x rays.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 11:26 (079605)

Me too, seek a second opinion, or third! He should at least check to see if he's dealing with an old fracture, it seems to me (though I'm not a foot doctor either). Plus it doesn't sound like he's taking you seriously. He sounds like a jerk or at the very least there is a communication problem.

About dropping a full glass apple juice jar on your toe, all I can say is

**** OUCH!!!!!! OW OW OW!!! *****

That sounds SO painful.

Carole C

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:37 (079633)

Hi Brabdy:

Wow!! I would see another Doctor. The turning fork was to see if there was an aucte fracture. The vibration would cause pain in the joint if accute. The bending up and down was to check for dorsiflexion and platnarflexion fo the first metatarsal phalangeal joint. Did he use the word crepitus or is there any cracking when the joint is bent. Is there limiation when the joint bends upwards? How old are? Does the joint become more painful with weather changes?
Dr. john Cozzarelli

Brandy on 4/15/02 at 18:54 (079768)

He never mentioned crepitus all he said was joint replacement and arthritis.

I do not have anywhere near the same range of motion in my left (the injured side) as my right. I doesn't make a popping noise when it is moved, but you feel it popping in the joint. I can't move the big toe up at all from the injured joint. I can move the tip of it but not the whole toe from the joint area.

It doesn't really matter what the weather is it just always hurts.

I am almost certain that I fractured my joint. I don't think my joint could have took a drop from a full quart jar and not have been broken or fractured.

From all of the diagrams I have saw my foot looks exactly like a bunion.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/15/02 at 19:24 (079771)

It is sounds like you are describing Hallux Limitus. It is possible that you may require a joint replacement procedure. I would still seek a second opinion and get and X-RAy and or Fluoroscopic range of motion study. The fluoro study actually shows joint range of motion live. It is like moving picture X-RAY. I hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Brandy on 4/15/02 at 20:31 (079778)

Thank you very much.