Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What to look for in a pod

Posted by Mary on 4/13/02 at 23:40 (079576)

Hi:

I need to find a podiatrist. What should I look for in a podiatrist? Do I need to make sure if the doctor is board certified in surgery? I have heard of one particular doctor being very nice. What do I look for? Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: What to look for in a pod

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 05:49 (079583)

Hi Mary:

I think the most improtant attribute is a person that is able to communicate well with the patient. His or her bed side manner must be top notch. Also what type of problems do you have with your feet? If you want to go soley by credentials look for the doctor be boarded. I my self am boarded by the American Board of Poditric Surgery and I am a fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. This does not been I'm the best. There are other certifying boards such as the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicaine and the Accademy of Ambulatory of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Also check and see if the podiatrist id post op training - residency. Good luck in your quest.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mary on 4/14/02 at 07:26 (079585)

Thank you Dr. Cozzarelli for your help. This particular person has done a residency and a fellowship. Just out of curiosity how long are foot and ankle surgical fellowships?

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/14/02 at 09:54 (079596)

Mary, I often recommend that patients speak with other patients. Were you referred by a friend that was happy with this doctor's care? Word of mouth, qualifications, bedside manner and staff attitude all add up to play important roles in your decision.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:33 (079632)

residency traianing is 1-4 years and fellowships are usually one year. Hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

grant on 4/15/02 at 02:25 (079677)

Yes, I was referred by a friend. My pcp's office also state that he is an extremely nice individual to deal with. I think I will give him a try. Thanks doctors for your help!!

mary on 4/15/02 at 20:19 (079774)

No, I was not referred by a friend. I have only heard of him. I have also heard that he is board certified.

grant on 4/15/02 at 20:20 (079775)

Oops, I meant to post this under heel spurs. sorry about that.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 05:49 (079583)

Hi Mary:

I think the most improtant attribute is a person that is able to communicate well with the patient. His or her bed side manner must be top notch. Also what type of problems do you have with your feet? If you want to go soley by credentials look for the doctor be boarded. I my self am boarded by the American Board of Poditric Surgery and I am a fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. This does not been I'm the best. There are other certifying boards such as the American Board of Podiatric Orthopedics and Primary Podiatric Medicaine and the Accademy of Ambulatory of Foot and Ankle Surgeons. Also check and see if the podiatrist id post op training - residency. Good luck in your quest.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Mary on 4/14/02 at 07:26 (079585)

Thank you Dr. Cozzarelli for your help. This particular person has done a residency and a fellowship. Just out of curiosity how long are foot and ankle surgical fellowships?

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/14/02 at 09:54 (079596)

Mary, I often recommend that patients speak with other patients. Were you referred by a friend that was happy with this doctor's care? Word of mouth, qualifications, bedside manner and staff attitude all add up to play important roles in your decision.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:33 (079632)

residency traianing is 1-4 years and fellowships are usually one year. Hope this helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

grant on 4/15/02 at 02:25 (079677)

Yes, I was referred by a friend. My pcp's office also state that he is an extremely nice individual to deal with. I think I will give him a try. Thanks doctors for your help!!

mary on 4/15/02 at 20:19 (079774)

No, I was not referred by a friend. I have only heard of him. I have also heard that he is board certified.

grant on 4/15/02 at 20:20 (079775)

Oops, I meant to post this under heel spurs. sorry about that.