Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pf

Posted by grant on 4/14/02 at 07:45 (079587)

Hi:

I have plantar fasciitis and on a pain scale of 1 to 10, ten being the highest level of pain, I am about a level 1.5 of pain. I am going to go on a walking tour, is this a good idea? We will be walking for approximately five hours a day for 12 days straight. I am worried that the pain may come back during the trip. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Re: pf

Carmen on 4/14/02 at 09:39 (079593)

I would stretch, wear good shoes, stretch after and ice.
STOP if you start to feel pain immediately.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 11:35 (079606)

I have pain of about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. I went for a 3.5 - 4 hour walk and began having some bad cramps in my arch after about 3 hours. I was afraid that with it all tight and cramped up, I might tear something. I immediately sat on a bench and did my gentle stretching and loosening until my arch relaxed, and was able to slowly hobble back to the car. Resting the next couple of days was quite possible in my case and seemed like a good idea.

Personally, I think that walking 5 hours a day for 12 days straight might really be flirting with a disastrously huge setback. Of course each of us differ. I had been resting a good deal and maybe you are more accustomed to walking than I was at that point.

If you have custom orthotics, or other supportive footwear that you find is helpful, I'd recommend wearing them. Try to figure out how to rest for a while when you need to. Even better, delay the tour if possible!

Carole C

Re: yes, ICE!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 11:39 (079608)

Yes, I forgot to mention icing afterwards. In my case I iced for a long time that evening, and didn't continue the long walking the next day. I felt fine, but felt as though I might not be fine if I had not found that bench (see my other post in this thread for the details of my experience about a week and a half ago).

Carole C

grant on 4/15/02 at 02:15 (079675)

Hey all,

This is the reason for my concern: It is not possible to stop walking once I go on this trip. I would be walking with a tour group. Thus, I must follow from place to place (walking and climbing will be alot)and will sleep in a different hotel every night. I asked about using a wheelchair. But, I was told that there would be no point in going with one: there is quit a bit of climbing to do.

Thanks for your help!

grant

grant on 4/15/02 at 02:23 (079676)

That sounds like a good idea, custom orthotics. Thanks for the help. I will try that.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 18:06 (079759)

Grant, if you don't already have custom orthotics, and get them, it may take a few weeks to break them in.

From what you've said I am thinking that maybe you should consider delaying the tour. :(

Carole C

Carmen on 4/14/02 at 09:39 (079593)

I would stretch, wear good shoes, stretch after and ice.
STOP if you start to feel pain immediately.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 11:35 (079606)

I have pain of about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. I went for a 3.5 - 4 hour walk and began having some bad cramps in my arch after about 3 hours. I was afraid that with it all tight and cramped up, I might tear something. I immediately sat on a bench and did my gentle stretching and loosening until my arch relaxed, and was able to slowly hobble back to the car. Resting the next couple of days was quite possible in my case and seemed like a good idea.

Personally, I think that walking 5 hours a day for 12 days straight might really be flirting with a disastrously huge setback. Of course each of us differ. I had been resting a good deal and maybe you are more accustomed to walking than I was at that point.

If you have custom orthotics, or other supportive footwear that you find is helpful, I'd recommend wearing them. Try to figure out how to rest for a while when you need to. Even better, delay the tour if possible!

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 11:39 (079608)

Yes, I forgot to mention icing afterwards. In my case I iced for a long time that evening, and didn't continue the long walking the next day. I felt fine, but felt as though I might not be fine if I had not found that bench (see my other post in this thread for the details of my experience about a week and a half ago).

Carole C

grant on 4/15/02 at 02:15 (079675)

Hey all,

This is the reason for my concern: It is not possible to stop walking once I go on this trip. I would be walking with a tour group. Thus, I must follow from place to place (walking and climbing will be alot)and will sleep in a different hotel every night. I asked about using a wheelchair. But, I was told that there would be no point in going with one: there is quit a bit of climbing to do.

Thanks for your help!

grant

grant on 4/15/02 at 02:23 (079676)

That sounds like a good idea, custom orthotics. Thanks for the help. I will try that.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 18:06 (079759)

Grant, if you don't already have custom orthotics, and get them, it may take a few weeks to break them in.

From what you've said I am thinking that maybe you should consider delaying the tour. :(

Carole C