Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot discomfort

Posted by Tom G. on 4/14/02 at 11:58 (079610)

I have a problem that no one has been able to pinpoint for the last 9 months. I have a swelling sensation inside the bottom of both feet. In the left foot it begins at the ball of the foot at the base of the toes and goes to the front of the heel. The right foot is similar , except the sensation stops short of the heel. The sensation is less when I awaken and at the end of the day there is a mild tingling sensation. Toward the end of the day, I am much mor comfortable without shoes. My GP has done all of the normal chemical imbalance tests, including diabetes. All are negative. The ankle pul;ses in both feet are strong. A neurologist tells me that all external sensations are very close to normal. A podaiatrist has tried various tapeings and lifts for periods of 1 to 2 weeks each with no change. I am currently wearing Spenco arch supports without any noticable change.
Recently, I visited a physical therapist for a slight pain at the base of the hip that started in the last 4 weeks. (Hamstring attachment point.) He said that what I have in my foot is plantal fasciitis. However, from what I read about PF, it seems to generate pain in the heel. I have no pain, only the swelling sensation in the center/frontal portion of the bottom of the foot. Yet the PF does make sense since it is the Plantar area that feels swollen. I am just starting the Physical Therapist's recommendations for stretching for both PF and hamstring problem. Of course they might be related in some way. I have asked my GP to check into a high resolution MRI of my foot and ankle to see if we can see anything there.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Re: Foot discomfort

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/02 at 15:14 (079626)

Get the mri and lets see if this shows something. A medrol dose packet could get the swelling out of the bottom of your feet

Re: Foot discomfort

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/02 at 15:14 (079626)

Get the mri and lets see if this shows something. A medrol dose packet could get the swelling out of the bottom of your feet