Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sclerosing injections

Posted by Sharon W on 4/14/02 at 12:54 (079614)

For anyone who might be interested, this pod's website has a lot of information about sclerosing injections, as mentioned further below on this board. It talks mostly about using them to treat neuromas, but it does mention other uses. (Apparently he uses them quite a bit in his practice.)

-- Sharon :)

Re: Correction

Sharon W on 4/14/02 at 13:50 (079619)

The previous mention of the was in response to Dottie's post on 'Ask the Foot Doctors' -- I got the page wrong. Sorry!

-- Sharon

Re: Sclerosing injections

Sharon W on 4/14/02 at 17:17 (079641)

Looks like I can't copy and paste onto this board. Here's that site:

http://www.zfootdoc.com/seen.htm

Sorry!

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 21:55 (079786)

Credit for popularizing this modality goes to Gary Dockery, DPM of Seattle.
A 4% solution of ethanol (the kind of alcohol in alcoholic beverages) is injected around painful sensory nerves, eg. neuromas. Ethanol, at the low concentration will de-sensitize the small unmyelinated type C pain fibers (the small uninsulated pain fibers of nerves) without damage to surrounding tissues.
Ed

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 15:38 (079864)

Dr. Ed, or anyone interested in exactly how it's done:

Thanks, I didn't know that. He came up with a very cool idea... Now that I know that name I can do a search for him, maybe find something interesting.

For anyone interested in the EXACT details of how these alcohol sclerosing injections are done, I found a site containing a description by a pod named Steven H. Goldstein. He goes through the injection process very precisely, step by step, but it is definitely written in medical/technical terms! He even says what billing code to use for it... It is about the 5th item on the page, so you have to scroll down a bit.

http://www.podiatrymgt.com/pmnews/archives/01-30-01

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 13:32 (080003)

Yes, that well describes the standard technique we use.
Ed

john h on 4/19/02 at 09:18 (080271)

Dr. Ed that sounds a lot like 'Prolo Therapy'.

Re: Correction

Sharon W on 4/14/02 at 13:50 (079619)

The previous mention of the was in response to Dottie's post on 'Ask the Foot Doctors' -- I got the page wrong. Sorry!

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/14/02 at 17:17 (079641)

Looks like I can't copy and paste onto this board. Here's that site:

http://www.zfootdoc.com/seen.htm

Sorry!

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 21:55 (079786)

Credit for popularizing this modality goes to Gary Dockery, DPM of Seattle.
A 4% solution of ethanol (the kind of alcohol in alcoholic beverages) is injected around painful sensory nerves, eg. neuromas. Ethanol, at the low concentration will de-sensitize the small unmyelinated type C pain fibers (the small uninsulated pain fibers of nerves) without damage to surrounding tissues.
Ed

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 15:38 (079864)

Dr. Ed, or anyone interested in exactly how it's done:

Thanks, I didn't know that. He came up with a very cool idea... Now that I know that name I can do a search for him, maybe find something interesting.

For anyone interested in the EXACT details of how these alcohol sclerosing injections are done, I found a site containing a description by a pod named Steven H. Goldstein. He goes through the injection process very precisely, step by step, but it is definitely written in medical/technical terms! He even says what billing code to use for it... It is about the 5th item on the page, so you have to scroll down a bit.

http://www.podiatrymgt.com/pmnews/archives/01-30-01

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 13:32 (080003)

Yes, that well describes the standard technique we use.
Ed

john h on 4/19/02 at 09:18 (080271)

Dr. Ed that sounds a lot like 'Prolo Therapy'.