Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can heel spur pain just go away?

Posted by Daniel R on 4/14/02 at 15:23 (079627)

I was laid off from my job in December and after a couple of weeks sitting around my heel started to hurt and I thought it would stop after awhile, but it didn't. Just a month ago I was called back to work and my heel has been hurting really bad and I can't get my health insurance back until 3 months. So I have been toughing it, luckily I drive a forklift.
But a week ago I started wearing a pair of tennis shoes and they felt comfortable and my heel stopped hurting and is feeling fine. Do's that mean it is going to heal on it's own?

Re: Can heel spur pain just go away?

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 15:46 (079630)

I'm not a foot doctor, but another heel spur sufferer.

The right shoes can make a big difference. Usually it takes longer than a week for PF to heal, though. Usually it's several months. Definitely heel pain can be cured without surgery, in many cases. Sometimes just changing to a new shoe, a different shoe, can help. That may have been what happened in your case. Unless or until you start feeling pain again, I'd keep wearing those tennis shoes since they seem to be helping and you seem to be getting over this heel pain.

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Carole C

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:45 (079637)

Hi Dan:

It sounds like you had a bad shoe. Keep using the shoe that makes it feel better. Pay attention o the first step in the morning or when you are sitting for a period if the pain begins when you first get up. Usually pain for PF does not go away quickly.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/02 at 17:04 (079639)

Hi

It could be from one pair of bad shoes. I would read the heel pain book now to educate yourself on how to prevent heel pain/plantar fasciitis.. No bare feet. and if you have any signs of pain get back to this board

Carole C in NOLA on 4/14/02 at 15:46 (079630)

I'm not a foot doctor, but another heel spur sufferer.

The right shoes can make a big difference. Usually it takes longer than a week for PF to heal, though. Usually it's several months. Definitely heel pain can be cured without surgery, in many cases. Sometimes just changing to a new shoe, a different shoe, can help. That may have been what happened in your case. Unless or until you start feeling pain again, I'd keep wearing those tennis shoes since they seem to be helping and you seem to be getting over this heel pain.

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Carole C

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/14/02 at 16:45 (079637)

Hi Dan:

It sounds like you had a bad shoe. Keep using the shoe that makes it feel better. Pay attention o the first step in the morning or when you are sitting for a period if the pain begins when you first get up. Usually pain for PF does not go away quickly.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/14/02 at 17:04 (079639)

Hi

It could be from one pair of bad shoes. I would read the heel pain book now to educate yourself on how to prevent heel pain/plantar fasciitis.. No bare feet. and if you have any signs of pain get back to this board