Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Dr. Z or Dr. Cozz

Posted by Rich on 4/15/02 at 10:26 (079693)

My PF started last June in my left foot. I followed conservative treatments with my Pod including PT and am currently at a pain level of .5-1 on a scale of 1-10. If you press at the insertion point, there is tenderness, but otherwise don't feel pain walking.

My right foot started hurting in December. I contacted my Pod and we agreed on trying the same 'home' conservative measures before going in to see him. I finally went back in February and we began with an injection since that's what finally gave me relief on other foot. That shot lasted exactly three days before the pain returned. I then went to PT for about three weeks, 3x per week. Felt good while going, but no long term relief. Still doing stretches and icing at home.

My Pod put me in a cam walker about 5 weeks ago. It did seem to give me some relief but still feeling pain when my weight came down on heel. A little over a week ago, my Pod suggested going to crutches and to try non-weight bearing for two weeks. All last week, I seemed to be doing much better. I confess, as I felt better I did tend to step with the cam walker a little bit but with the crutches. This weekend I has some family obligations that caused me to put some weight on the foot (in the cam walker) and experienced some additional soreness that was relieved by taking Aleve. I am no longer taking the Vioxx at all.

Finally my question? We have exhausted just about all conservative measures for treatment, including an MRI. How long should I continue to wear cam walker and what expectations can I have at this point? I live in Louisiana and ESWT in not a local option. My Pod feels that we should be patient since the first foot has gotten better with time. Do I have to go off the crutches, back to the cam walker with weight bearing, then try to go back to shoes....reverse order? And wait it out, taking care of my selection of activities?

I am due to contact the Pod again this week, but wanted to respectfully ask your opinions also. Any input would be gratefully appreciated. You wonderful docs have answered so many of my questions, just by replying to others posts and I just wanted to add that I think you are GREAT!

Thanks,
Rich

Re: Question for Dr. Z or Dr. Cozz

lisa k on 4/15/02 at 10:46 (079698)

not a respone from the drs ,but it kinda sounds like our feet are at a similar point ,also stopped vioxx too /no activity is very difficult :just want to do anything that might help, so im willing ,guess my POD just doent beilive in mris -what did your mri show did it determine a more definative diagnosis

Rich on 4/15/02 at 11:45 (079702)

Lisa...my mri showed a small cyst further back in the heel but not related to my pain. I have two heel spurs, again, not related to my pain. He pretty much said it was what he expected to see...nothing! LOL Hang in there....

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 18:17 (079762)

Rich, I don't know much about ESWT availability, but I'm pretty sure they've got it in Houston. That would be a three and a half or four hour drive for you, but could be do-able if worst gets to worst.

I know you are feeling kind of down, which is only natural because this is taking so long. Hang in there! You can do this. The doctors here may have some suggestions, and your doctor may have some ideas too.

Carole C

Re: Following up on my Doc question....

Rich on 4/15/02 at 22:28 (079792)

I am bound and determine to get my life back! I was doing so good in my boot cast on crutches, that this afternoon I tried to get around without the crutches. Felt good to have some mobility back, but didn't take long some soreness to come back. I just don't want to stay in this thing too long and develop problems with my ankle. Doesn't five weeks seem like long enough to determine whether to continue?

Thanks,
Rich

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/16/02 at 17:19 (079873)

Rich:
5 weeks seems long enough for the rest period. I realize you are in Louisiana but this is a long time that you are suffering. If you are having this pain and it is controlling your life it is time that you have to take control of this situation. I.m not saying to fly to Newar Airport for ESWT but if that is what it will take to get you better consider this option or look for someone down south that does ESWT.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Thanks Dr. Cozz.....

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:26 (079885)

At my last visit, I asked about ESWT and my pod said they were talking to a company (Dornier?) and were probably going to have something here in the next month or so. Meaning that they would need 'guinea pigs'. Is there a chance of messing up my foot if they consider me? Everyone in my family thinks any chance to be pain free is worth a shot. But, I'm worried about becoming crippled with this longterm. I spent the afternoon yesterday without the crutches, bearing weight on my foot in the cast and tried today without the cast in my new balance, within the confines of home. Really hurting now and needing to ice again. After five weeks going crazy, what can I expect now? I call back to my pod tomorrow.....

Thanks for the reply!!!

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 18:35 (079887)

Rich,

Do you live in Texas? I might be mistaken, but I thought I read once that you did... if so, what part? (I live in CENTRAL Texas, outside Waco.)

-- Sharon

Re: Nope....Cajun Country

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:45 (079890)

Right in the middle of Cajun Country is home to me. South central Louisiana.....

Love Texans, though! LOL

Rich

Re: Buzzard Billy's

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 18:55 (079892)

Oh, well... Never been to your neck of the woods; always wanted to someday, though! (If nothing else, I LOVE Cajun food!! One of our favorite restaurants around here is Buzzard Billy's and serves Cajun -- YUM! YUM!)

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/16/02 at 19:06 (079894)

Humm? We call my hubby Wild Bill! Bet Buzzard Billy's is not as good as the real stuff! What's your favorite dish?

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 19:14 (079896)

Probably shrimp jambalaya... but I just about like 'em ALL, except the gator fingers!

-- Sharon

Re: Jambalaya

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 20:30 (079912)

I love shrimp jambalaya!

Tomorrow is our 'Employee Appreciation Day' at work, which means we all go to the park and have a crawfish boil and also chicken and sausage jambalaya. Luckily they will also be serving fresh salad, fruits, and vegetables so that I can still follow Weight Watchers by filling up on less fattening foods before I get around to the jambalaya. I will try to avoid the 'dessert tent' completely! (grin)

Should be a beautiful hot sunshiny day, with some great music, and my co-workers will be playing basketball, softball, and so on. I wish I could do that too but I have to be wise and not overdo. Even with a pain level of only 1 it is still easy to overdo if I get stupid and it is NO FUN to be constantly cautious and do nothing. So, I'm going to take the new camera that I got for the cruise, and take some pictures so that I feel like I'm doing something and don't feel so much like a bump on a log. LOL

Carole C

Rich on 4/16/02 at 21:00 (079919)

Can't say I've ever had gator fingers! Fried Crab Fingers, yes! My favorite...well one of them! LOL

Jambalaya is really easy to prepare, have you ever tried it at home? You can use anything, especially leftovers.

Rich on 4/16/02 at 21:02 (079920)

Yum! Boiled crawfish! Haven't had any since before Easter. Speaking of Weight Watchers, hubby and I have been eating alot of fish and chicken and salads, trying to lose weight. Wanted to ask if you had tried Tilapia? It's a nice farm-raised firm white fish. I buy the fresh fillets at Albertson's. They're really good with some Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Fish Seasoning on a griddle.

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 21:04 (079921)

Carole,

Sounds GREAT! The famous employee picnic... A real temptation, though, with all that good FOOD! And I'm so glad you are feeling so well, these days -- it certainly gives a lot of us something to hope for.

Yeah, maybe that's some information I'll get from PT -- I never really know if I'm doing too MUCH, or too LITTLE... I've almost been doing the same thing you described, lying in bed with my feet up as much as possible, keeping off my feet whenever it can be avoided, even consolidating my trips to the opposite side of our HOUSE so that I can take care of several things all at once and not make multiple trips. (I sure hope I eventually get the same results YOU have!)

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 21:10 (079923)

Rich,

I've made it, but I admit, never from scratch. There is one of those Zataran's mixes that works out pretty well, once you add enough stuff to it. Of course, I realize that isn't the 'real' thing, but then again, we aren't real Cajuns, either...

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/16/02 at 21:23 (079924)

LOL...LOL...LOL...

Well, if I have to admit it...my passion is Mexican food! Especially with a good marguerita!

If I come across a really good and easy recipe, I'll let you know...try also checking out foodtv.com for Emeril's recipes. I watch the cooking shows whenever I can. Lately it's been more often as I SIT and surf the channels...LOL

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 22:02 (079927)

Ah -- now, MEXICAN food, I make from SCRATCH! Margaritas, too. We also have a couple of VERY good Mexican restaurants around here.

...And yes, I would love a really good and easy recipe for jambilaya -- I'm afraid that even cooking can be very hard to do without STANDING UP... but I'm sure THAT problem is one you know well!

-- Sharon

Re: Chicken fried steak

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:37 (079929)

Last year we had an interesting discussion about chicken fried steak (which I have never had) and grits (which I have never had either). I still think that a chicken fried steak sounds dreadful.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 22:37 (079930)

That's a great idea! I love fish and I love Tilapia, but I haven't had any in several years. And that sounds like a great way to cook them! THANKS! :)

I'm really working hard at Weight Watchers this week. My big brother told me on Monday that he's getting married in August, so I need to drop some of these excess pounds before then. I did fine today but I didn't get in all my water. Guess I'd better do that before bedtime. Today for dinner I had Subway, like the guy on TV that lost over 200 pounds. LOL

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 22:41 (079932)

Wendyn,

Chicken fried steak IS dreadful, although many Texans would emphatically disagree! Much too greasy for my taste. I like the country gravy part, but over homemade bisquits, for breakfast.

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 22:42 (079933)

That's exactly what I did especially in December and January. I even made a point of trying to stay near the bathroom, and dragged my laundry basket behind me with a rope rather than to carry it. I didn't cook, or clean. Yuck. But it worked, for me. I hope you eventually get some good results from it too! Just try really hard not to re-injure your PF at all for a few weeks and let's hope you make some good progress.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 22:44 (079935)

It is heavenly, Wendy. Unfortunately it is not consistent with Weight Watchers so I don't eat it very much any more. It would probably seem greasy to me now.

Carole C

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:47 (079936)

I don't doubt that it's not consistent with weight watchers!!!!!

This whole southern thing with food is pretty fascinating to me...maybe I will get there one day. Hubby will be in New Orleans in a month or so - maybe he will like it so much he'll take me next time!

At a seafood place near us they serve deep fried pickles with the food. Ever tried one of those? Actually they are really good.

Did you know that most Canadians are baffled with the portion size of food in American restaurants? I swear that they are twice the size of what we eat here. I had no idea there was such a difference...

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 23:02 (079938)

I have heard that deep fried pickles are wonderful, but I've never tried them.

The portion sizes in restaurants are one of the things Weight Watchers teaches us about. We have to learn to eat no more than we would eat at home. Sometimes restaurants will let adults order a child's plate, and that has more realistic portion sizes.

Friday night I went to a VERY fancy and intimate French restaurant in New Orleans, the kind of restaurant that has a garden that is so peaceful and nice where you sit. I ordered a grilled chicken salad (or whatever it was called in French LOL). It was HUGE, served in a giant bowl that was probably 14 inches diameter. It was incredibly fresh and delicious, and I ate the whole thing. Good thing that most of it was lettuce. I've been trying to eat a little bit lightly since then to make up for it. LOL

Carole C

Re: All this talk about food!

Rich on 4/17/02 at 08:51 (079960)

Sharon, do you make tortilla soup? I accidentally came up with my own recipe while substituting ingredients and I have a winner. Very easy. My kitchen is very large with my table right in the middle and my computer desk is on one wall, so I've been wheeling around in my office chair. I can easily cook 'oven' things and manage the dishes, although when rinsing the water tends to drip down my arms. LOL I use the table now instead of the countertops for food prep and it's getting easier. I'm searching for that recipe. I just tend to throw things in the pot, but a recipe would be so much easier for you to follow! I actually managed to bake an elaborate cake for my nephew's baptism this past weekend with a minimum of standing. Learning to live with this for now the best way I can without feeling too disabled. Have a Great Day!

P.S. I love grits and chicken fried steak, but prefer fried pork chops! Having to live with baked chicken and fish right now, but I can still dream of greasy, fattening foods!! LOL

Rich

Re: Soup

Sharon W on 4/17/02 at 11:06 (079978)

Rich,

I'm with you on the fried pork chops! But, for years I've been TRYING to eat 'light,' so we don't have them very often.

The tortilla soup sounds good, and, no, I've never made it. Have you ever made albondigas (Mexican meatball)soup? It's YUMMY!

-- Sharon

lisa k on 4/15/02 at 10:46 (079698)

not a respone from the drs ,but it kinda sounds like our feet are at a similar point ,also stopped vioxx too /no activity is very difficult :just want to do anything that might help, so im willing ,guess my POD just doent beilive in mris -what did your mri show did it determine a more definative diagnosis

Rich on 4/15/02 at 11:45 (079702)

Lisa...my mri showed a small cyst further back in the heel but not related to my pain. I have two heel spurs, again, not related to my pain. He pretty much said it was what he expected to see...nothing! LOL Hang in there....

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 18:17 (079762)

Rich, I don't know much about ESWT availability, but I'm pretty sure they've got it in Houston. That would be a three and a half or four hour drive for you, but could be do-able if worst gets to worst.

I know you are feeling kind of down, which is only natural because this is taking so long. Hang in there! You can do this. The doctors here may have some suggestions, and your doctor may have some ideas too.

Carole C

Rich on 4/15/02 at 22:28 (079792)

I am bound and determine to get my life back! I was doing so good in my boot cast on crutches, that this afternoon I tried to get around without the crutches. Felt good to have some mobility back, but didn't take long some soreness to come back. I just don't want to stay in this thing too long and develop problems with my ankle. Doesn't five weeks seem like long enough to determine whether to continue?

Thanks,
Rich

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/16/02 at 17:19 (079873)

Rich:
5 weeks seems long enough for the rest period. I realize you are in Louisiana but this is a long time that you are suffering. If you are having this pain and it is controlling your life it is time that you have to take control of this situation. I.m not saying to fly to Newar Airport for ESWT but if that is what it will take to get you better consider this option or look for someone down south that does ESWT.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:26 (079885)

At my last visit, I asked about ESWT and my pod said they were talking to a company (Dornier?) and were probably going to have something here in the next month or so. Meaning that they would need 'guinea pigs'. Is there a chance of messing up my foot if they consider me? Everyone in my family thinks any chance to be pain free is worth a shot. But, I'm worried about becoming crippled with this longterm. I spent the afternoon yesterday without the crutches, bearing weight on my foot in the cast and tried today without the cast in my new balance, within the confines of home. Really hurting now and needing to ice again. After five weeks going crazy, what can I expect now? I call back to my pod tomorrow.....

Thanks for the reply!!!

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 18:35 (079887)

Rich,

Do you live in Texas? I might be mistaken, but I thought I read once that you did... if so, what part? (I live in CENTRAL Texas, outside Waco.)

-- Sharon

Re: Nope....Cajun Country

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:45 (079890)

Right in the middle of Cajun Country is home to me. South central Louisiana.....

Love Texans, though! LOL

Rich

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 18:55 (079892)

Oh, well... Never been to your neck of the woods; always wanted to someday, though! (If nothing else, I LOVE Cajun food!! One of our favorite restaurants around here is Buzzard Billy's and serves Cajun -- YUM! YUM!)

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/16/02 at 19:06 (079894)

Humm? We call my hubby Wild Bill! Bet Buzzard Billy's is not as good as the real stuff! What's your favorite dish?

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 19:14 (079896)

Probably shrimp jambalaya... but I just about like 'em ALL, except the gator fingers!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 20:30 (079912)

I love shrimp jambalaya!

Tomorrow is our 'Employee Appreciation Day' at work, which means we all go to the park and have a crawfish boil and also chicken and sausage jambalaya. Luckily they will also be serving fresh salad, fruits, and vegetables so that I can still follow Weight Watchers by filling up on less fattening foods before I get around to the jambalaya. I will try to avoid the 'dessert tent' completely! (grin)

Should be a beautiful hot sunshiny day, with some great music, and my co-workers will be playing basketball, softball, and so on. I wish I could do that too but I have to be wise and not overdo. Even with a pain level of only 1 it is still easy to overdo if I get stupid and it is NO FUN to be constantly cautious and do nothing. So, I'm going to take the new camera that I got for the cruise, and take some pictures so that I feel like I'm doing something and don't feel so much like a bump on a log. LOL

Carole C

Rich on 4/16/02 at 21:00 (079919)

Can't say I've ever had gator fingers! Fried Crab Fingers, yes! My favorite...well one of them! LOL

Jambalaya is really easy to prepare, have you ever tried it at home? You can use anything, especially leftovers.

Rich on 4/16/02 at 21:02 (079920)

Yum! Boiled crawfish! Haven't had any since before Easter. Speaking of Weight Watchers, hubby and I have been eating alot of fish and chicken and salads, trying to lose weight. Wanted to ask if you had tried Tilapia? It's a nice farm-raised firm white fish. I buy the fresh fillets at Albertson's. They're really good with some Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Fish Seasoning on a griddle.

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 21:04 (079921)

Carole,

Sounds GREAT! The famous employee picnic... A real temptation, though, with all that good FOOD! And I'm so glad you are feeling so well, these days -- it certainly gives a lot of us something to hope for.

Yeah, maybe that's some information I'll get from PT -- I never really know if I'm doing too MUCH, or too LITTLE... I've almost been doing the same thing you described, lying in bed with my feet up as much as possible, keeping off my feet whenever it can be avoided, even consolidating my trips to the opposite side of our HOUSE so that I can take care of several things all at once and not make multiple trips. (I sure hope I eventually get the same results YOU have!)

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 21:10 (079923)

Rich,

I've made it, but I admit, never from scratch. There is one of those Zataran's mixes that works out pretty well, once you add enough stuff to it. Of course, I realize that isn't the 'real' thing, but then again, we aren't real Cajuns, either...

-- Sharon

Rich on 4/16/02 at 21:23 (079924)

LOL...LOL...LOL...

Well, if I have to admit it...my passion is Mexican food! Especially with a good marguerita!

If I come across a really good and easy recipe, I'll let you know...try also checking out foodtv.com for Emeril's recipes. I watch the cooking shows whenever I can. Lately it's been more often as I SIT and surf the channels...LOL

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 22:02 (079927)

Ah -- now, MEXICAN food, I make from SCRATCH! Margaritas, too. We also have a couple of VERY good Mexican restaurants around here.

...And yes, I would love a really good and easy recipe for jambilaya -- I'm afraid that even cooking can be very hard to do without STANDING UP... but I'm sure THAT problem is one you know well!

-- Sharon

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:37 (079929)

Last year we had an interesting discussion about chicken fried steak (which I have never had) and grits (which I have never had either). I still think that a chicken fried steak sounds dreadful.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 22:37 (079930)

That's a great idea! I love fish and I love Tilapia, but I haven't had any in several years. And that sounds like a great way to cook them! THANKS! :)

I'm really working hard at Weight Watchers this week. My big brother told me on Monday that he's getting married in August, so I need to drop some of these excess pounds before then. I did fine today but I didn't get in all my water. Guess I'd better do that before bedtime. Today for dinner I had Subway, like the guy on TV that lost over 200 pounds. LOL

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 22:41 (079932)

Wendyn,

Chicken fried steak IS dreadful, although many Texans would emphatically disagree! Much too greasy for my taste. I like the country gravy part, but over homemade bisquits, for breakfast.

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 22:42 (079933)

That's exactly what I did especially in December and January. I even made a point of trying to stay near the bathroom, and dragged my laundry basket behind me with a rope rather than to carry it. I didn't cook, or clean. Yuck. But it worked, for me. I hope you eventually get some good results from it too! Just try really hard not to re-injure your PF at all for a few weeks and let's hope you make some good progress.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 22:44 (079935)

It is heavenly, Wendy. Unfortunately it is not consistent with Weight Watchers so I don't eat it very much any more. It would probably seem greasy to me now.

Carole C

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:47 (079936)

I don't doubt that it's not consistent with weight watchers!!!!!

This whole southern thing with food is pretty fascinating to me...maybe I will get there one day. Hubby will be in New Orleans in a month or so - maybe he will like it so much he'll take me next time!

At a seafood place near us they serve deep fried pickles with the food. Ever tried one of those? Actually they are really good.

Did you know that most Canadians are baffled with the portion size of food in American restaurants? I swear that they are twice the size of what we eat here. I had no idea there was such a difference...

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 23:02 (079938)

I have heard that deep fried pickles are wonderful, but I've never tried them.

The portion sizes in restaurants are one of the things Weight Watchers teaches us about. We have to learn to eat no more than we would eat at home. Sometimes restaurants will let adults order a child's plate, and that has more realistic portion sizes.

Friday night I went to a VERY fancy and intimate French restaurant in New Orleans, the kind of restaurant that has a garden that is so peaceful and nice where you sit. I ordered a grilled chicken salad (or whatever it was called in French LOL). It was HUGE, served in a giant bowl that was probably 14 inches diameter. It was incredibly fresh and delicious, and I ate the whole thing. Good thing that most of it was lettuce. I've been trying to eat a little bit lightly since then to make up for it. LOL

Carole C

Re: All this talk about food!

Rich on 4/17/02 at 08:51 (079960)

Sharon, do you make tortilla soup? I accidentally came up with my own recipe while substituting ingredients and I have a winner. Very easy. My kitchen is very large with my table right in the middle and my computer desk is on one wall, so I've been wheeling around in my office chair. I can easily cook 'oven' things and manage the dishes, although when rinsing the water tends to drip down my arms. LOL I use the table now instead of the countertops for food prep and it's getting easier. I'm searching for that recipe. I just tend to throw things in the pot, but a recipe would be so much easier for you to follow! I actually managed to bake an elaborate cake for my nephew's baptism this past weekend with a minimum of standing. Learning to live with this for now the best way I can without feeling too disabled. Have a Great Day!

P.S. I love grits and chicken fried steak, but prefer fried pork chops! Having to live with baked chicken and fish right now, but I can still dream of greasy, fattening foods!! LOL

Rich

Re: Soup

Sharon W on 4/17/02 at 11:06 (079978)

Rich,

I'm with you on the fried pork chops! But, for years I've been TRYING to eat 'light,' so we don't have them very often.

The tortilla soup sounds good, and, no, I've never made it. Have you ever made albondigas (Mexican meatball)soup? It's YUMMY!

-- Sharon