Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Should I rest my foot

Posted by Rachel W. on 4/15/02 at 11:09 (079700)

I have had plantar fasciitus for about a month. I work in a kitchen as an assistant cook. I have been signed off work for two weeks by my doctor, but the pain has not eased.
Will I make my foot worse by going back to work or should I carry on resting it until it gets better?
I don't want to take too much time off.

Re: Should I rest my foot

Rachel W. on 4/15/02 at 12:19 (079706)

Also, my leg has started to ache. Is that due to the way I'm walking? From what I have been reading on this message board, it could be a long time before I get over this problem. I have been taking anti-inflammatory tablets for about 2 or 3 weeks but it doesn't seem to have helped (the foot doesn't look inflamed to me anyway).
I only started my job as a kitchen assistant about 4 months ago. I never had a problem with my feet before that. Should I just give up my job?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 14:59 (079718)

Some rest can be helpful but it is important that you utilize any time off from work to actively treat the plantar fasciits.
Ed

Valerie S on 4/15/02 at 15:46 (079732)

Rachel,

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I am not a doctor, but I used to work on my feet until the PF got so bad I had to stop working. My doctor told me that the leg cramps and aches were likely caused by the way I was walking (compensatory pain, he called it...) to try to not hurt my foot.

PF is a soft tissue injury and can take a long time to heal, although some people find a solution for them that helps right away. The important thing is that you are treating it early. Talk to your doctor about ways you can help speed your healing while you are off work. Personally, I wouldn't count on getting better in 2 weeks. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to quit your job... in fact, I would say DON'T quit your job, since it sounds like it's possible that this position may have been a contributor in your getting PF in the first place, and you might need to file some sort of claim.

The anti-inflammatory meds are to help inflammation of your fascia, which is inside your foot where you won't be able to see the inflammation. My feet have never looked anything but normal, and I have had PF for a year and a half now.

There are many conservative treatments that could help you find relief... read the heel pain book, and you will find many answers you seek. If you would like, feel free to email me also: valerah @ yahoo. com . I can really relate to what you are going through, and I would be happy to talk with you in more detail if you want.

Again, I am not a doctor, but I do feel your pain. I hope you find relief soon.

Your friend, Val.

Rachel W. on 4/16/02 at 03:51 (079796)

Thankyou both for replying and giving me some advice. I appreciate it.

Re: will she ever get better

Les woolly on 4/16/02 at 07:58 (079801)

wife has now been in severe pain for 3 months with PF.off work for 2 weeks now with no improvement.doctors gave her anti imflamotory pills.no different.doctor took her off these and gave pain relief pills.no better.is there acure?have been told that the cortizone jabs is only temporary .what do i have to do to get her well.at the end of our tethers now and still have 5 kids to get to school each day etc.people talk of a year or more to get better.cant afford a year off work but unable to continue work with the pain of standing all day in a kitchen.

Re: Les-I'm not a doc but have ideas

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 17:32 (079875)

First thing....3 months is not a long time to have PF anymore. The more you learn about PF the more you'll see that some people myself included suffer for longer then 6 months....with little improvement.
second....anti inflamms may not make her 'FEEL' better but they can be assisting in the inflammation and it's a good thing to keep her on them if they don't bother her stomach. The long term effects can be helpful.
How many shots has she had? don't let them do more than three in 12 months...from what I understand this can be harmful to her feet.
Third...what does she do for a living and did this happen BECAUSE of her job? If she is in extreme pain and can't continue she needs to be on medical leave. Her Pod can write this prescription for her to take leave. It may not take a year....he will be best suited to advise. BUT she also needs to be active in her recovery...read what she can about {F, wear the right shoes, ice ,rest, etc. Get a doc that will help you in maintaining a program for her...Has she tried Physical Therapy?
there are many of us that can't 'afford' this expensive problem. But you have to do what you can to help her heal...even if it means taking a break from work.

Rachel W. on 4/15/02 at 12:19 (079706)

Also, my leg has started to ache. Is that due to the way I'm walking? From what I have been reading on this message board, it could be a long time before I get over this problem. I have been taking anti-inflammatory tablets for about 2 or 3 weeks but it doesn't seem to have helped (the foot doesn't look inflamed to me anyway).
I only started my job as a kitchen assistant about 4 months ago. I never had a problem with my feet before that. Should I just give up my job?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 14:59 (079718)

Some rest can be helpful but it is important that you utilize any time off from work to actively treat the plantar fasciits.
Ed

Valerie S on 4/15/02 at 15:46 (079732)

Rachel,

I'm sorry to hear that you are in so much pain. I am not a doctor, but I used to work on my feet until the PF got so bad I had to stop working. My doctor told me that the leg cramps and aches were likely caused by the way I was walking (compensatory pain, he called it...) to try to not hurt my foot.

PF is a soft tissue injury and can take a long time to heal, although some people find a solution for them that helps right away. The important thing is that you are treating it early. Talk to your doctor about ways you can help speed your healing while you are off work. Personally, I wouldn't count on getting better in 2 weeks. This doesn't necessarily mean you have to quit your job... in fact, I would say DON'T quit your job, since it sounds like it's possible that this position may have been a contributor in your getting PF in the first place, and you might need to file some sort of claim.

The anti-inflammatory meds are to help inflammation of your fascia, which is inside your foot where you won't be able to see the inflammation. My feet have never looked anything but normal, and I have had PF for a year and a half now.

There are many conservative treatments that could help you find relief... read the heel pain book, and you will find many answers you seek. If you would like, feel free to email me also: valerah @ yahoo. com . I can really relate to what you are going through, and I would be happy to talk with you in more detail if you want.

Again, I am not a doctor, but I do feel your pain. I hope you find relief soon.

Your friend, Val.

Rachel W. on 4/16/02 at 03:51 (079796)

Thankyou both for replying and giving me some advice. I appreciate it.

Re: will she ever get better

Les woolly on 4/16/02 at 07:58 (079801)

wife has now been in severe pain for 3 months with PF.off work for 2 weeks now with no improvement.doctors gave her anti imflamotory pills.no different.doctor took her off these and gave pain relief pills.no better.is there acure?have been told that the cortizone jabs is only temporary .what do i have to do to get her well.at the end of our tethers now and still have 5 kids to get to school each day etc.people talk of a year or more to get better.cant afford a year off work but unable to continue work with the pain of standing all day in a kitchen.

Re: Les-I'm not a doc but have ideas

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 17:32 (079875)

First thing....3 months is not a long time to have PF anymore. The more you learn about PF the more you'll see that some people myself included suffer for longer then 6 months....with little improvement.
second....anti inflamms may not make her 'FEEL' better but they can be assisting in the inflammation and it's a good thing to keep her on them if they don't bother her stomach. The long term effects can be helpful.
How many shots has she had? don't let them do more than three in 12 months...from what I understand this can be harmful to her feet.
Third...what does she do for a living and did this happen BECAUSE of her job? If she is in extreme pain and can't continue she needs to be on medical leave. Her Pod can write this prescription for her to take leave. It may not take a year....he will be best suited to advise. BUT she also needs to be active in her recovery...read what she can about {F, wear the right shoes, ice ,rest, etc. Get a doc that will help you in maintaining a program for her...Has she tried Physical Therapy?
there are many of us that can't 'afford' this expensive problem. But you have to do what you can to help her heal...even if it means taking a break from work.