Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Summary of Article on Running Shoes - - A Disappointing Comparison

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 15:20 (079724)

This month's Consumer Reports has an article on running shoes. They rated 14 running shoes, two each of seven brands. One of each brand was in the $70-90 range, and one was in the $110-120 range. These are the shoes they chose to rate (highest rated to lowest, but remember one of the rating criteria was 'reflective trim'):

Adidas Supernova
Reebok Boston Road II DMX
Adidas Ride
Brooks Adrenaline GTS
New Balance 1040
Nike Air Pegasus 2000
Saucony 3DGrid Tornado 2260/1260
Asics Gel-Nimbus III
Brooks Trance NXT
Asics Gel-Cumulus III
Saucony Grid Jazz 2243/1243
New Balance 715
Nike Air Kantara
Reebok Icon IV DMX

Their conclusions were that paying more than $100 does not necessarily get you a better shoe, but don't buy a cheap shoe. They also concluded that complicated cushioning technologies are not inherently superior to simpler constructions, that manufacturers may revamp models without changing their names significantly, and that even the top rated shoes did not please all the panelists who tried them.

Well duh! :)

They showed the 'stepping on cardboard with wet foot' method for determining pronation or supination, and also recommended bringing a very worn pair of running shoes to the store to help in this determination. They said you shouldn't try to break in shoes. Shop later in the day when your feet are more likely to be swelled up. Be open to new brands and models, and try different sizes. The Adidas Supernova had the best cushioning.

Overall, they gave a valiant try but in four pages they could not go into the problem to anywhere NEAR the depth that those of us here at heelspurs.com need, in my opinion. The article was a disappointment to me.

Carole C

Re: Consumer Reports - methodology

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 16:11 (079744)

Carol:

Consumer reports is an interesting magazine but there testing methods seem to be somewhat lacking. The wet cardboard test could certainly stand a lot of improvement. I would refer to magazine such as Runners World or go to the chart published by Road Runner Sports. They are a lot more knowlegeable about running shoes.
Ed

Re: Absolutely... the article was a real let-down, Dr. Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 16:23 (079745)

I think Consumer Reports got in way over their head. They were trying to reduce a very complex problem with many different factors to a simple one, and it didn't work. The approach of this article was like comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps some people who might otherwise have picked up this month's Consumer Reports, might find my critique of the article interesting. I am always on the look out for other sources of information on shoes than the roadrunner sports chart, simply to provide a little more depth of understanding if I can find that in any way. Thanks for the tip.

Carole C

Re: Consumer Reports - methodology

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 16:11 (079744)

Carol:

Consumer reports is an interesting magazine but there testing methods seem to be somewhat lacking. The wet cardboard test could certainly stand a lot of improvement. I would refer to magazine such as Runners World or go to the chart published by Road Runner Sports. They are a lot more knowlegeable about running shoes.
Ed

Re: Absolutely... the article was a real let-down, Dr. Ed

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 16:23 (079745)

I think Consumer Reports got in way over their head. They were trying to reduce a very complex problem with many different factors to a simple one, and it didn't work. The approach of this article was like comparing apples to oranges.

Perhaps some people who might otherwise have picked up this month's Consumer Reports, might find my critique of the article interesting. I am always on the look out for other sources of information on shoes than the roadrunner sports chart, simply to provide a little more depth of understanding if I can find that in any way. Thanks for the tip.

Carole C