Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis and the Army(US)

Posted by Paul R on 4/15/02 at 15:52 (079735)

I got Plantar Fasciitis about 24 months ago. I suspect it was from wearing hard shoes while working at XXXX Intl Airport that summer. I did not know what was going on. It is only in the last 12 months that I figured out what I have. I would get pain over various parts of my foot. After diagnosing my problem I have not had a problem for several months. I have stretched my calf daily and done daily walks. No running yet. I do weigh 175/5'8'. My question is what are the odds of redamaging the tendon if I joined the Army Reserves (boot camp)? I don't know if the army would let me use inserts(arch supports) or not? I Am hesitant to tell the Inprocessing doctor about it. I think I wouldn't have a problem as long as I kept up the stretching.

Thank you.

Paul R.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and the Army(US)

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/02 at 16:00 (079739)

Hi,

If the orthosis were dispensed for biomechanical imbalances then you need to continue the use of them to prevent return of the plantar fascia pain. I would think that orthosis would be considered like eye glasses, which is something you will always need

COLE W on 4/17/02 at 15:13 (080020)

I am considering going going into the military and am concerned how my PF/heelspur will be effected. I was wondering if there are any military Dr's available to answer my question. The last thing I want is when I am boot camp and I kicked out because of my heels although I can physically do everything else.

Dr. Zuckerman on 4/15/02 at 16:00 (079739)

Hi,

If the orthosis were dispensed for biomechanical imbalances then you need to continue the use of them to prevent return of the plantar fascia pain. I would think that orthosis would be considered like eye glasses, which is something you will always need

COLE W on 4/17/02 at 15:13 (080020)

I am considering going going into the military and am concerned how my PF/heelspur will be effected. I was wondering if there are any military Dr's available to answer my question. The last thing I want is when I am boot camp and I kicked out because of my heels although I can physically do everything else.