Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have I got PF ?

Posted by Pete R on 4/15/02 at 16:37 (079747)

I've had pf for 2 years.

I had an MRI scan last April 2001, since when the pain is probably 50% worse in terms of the distance I can now walk.

The MRI stated the following

'TECHNIQUE - T1 weighted axials, T1 weighted and T2 weighted gradient echo sagittals and coronal STIR's were performed on both feet

FINDINGS - No significant joint effusion is seen. No areas of marrow odema are indentified on the STIR images. There is preservation of the articular cartilage at the ankle joints, with no evidence of significant degenerative change. The achilles tendon appears intact bilaterally with no high signal within it. There is no evidence of enthesopathy at its insertion and no plantar spurs are identified'.

The consultant concluded I didn't have PF and just needed either orthotics or a high arched shoe. Since this time I've had many orthotics and tried a wide range of treatments inc icing, stretching, injections etc and am now considering ESWT.

Other pod's I've seen since say I do have pf !

My symptoms are pain on the bottom of the foot at the front of the heel pad and on the medial side, both where the fascia runs. I also get heel and metatarsal pain but little discomfort first thing in the morning. The heel is not sore to the touch unless you really prod around, and the medial part of the fascia is tight.

Do I have PF, and if not, what could it be ? Are there any further tests I need. Are the MRI results conclusive enough.

I'm based in the UK where pf knowledge is more limited. In the UK PF is often a generic term for anything that is wrong with foot !!

Your help is appreciated

Re: Have I got PF ?

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 16:50 (079751)

The MRI suggests no PF but I have to ask how carefully the plantar fascia was looked at. Most cases of PF are diagnosed clinically though. Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon?
Ed

Pete R on 4/15/02 at 17:03 (079755)

Thanks.

The consultant I saw, following the MRI, was an ortho surgeon. Since when Pods and pod surgeons have said I have PF.

What do you mean by 'diagnosed clincally'

Do my symptoms sound like pf, if not, what else could it be after 2 years.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 19:02 (079770)

Diagnosing something clinically means to diagnose a disease based on the signs and symptoms observed by the doctor as opposed to use of tests.
The doctor listens, asks, touches, measures.....

If podiatrists have diagnosed PF, it is likely that that is the case. What type of treatments have you had for PF?
Ed

Pete R on 4/16/02 at 10:29 (079818)

All conservative stuff inc icing, stretching, orthotics, injections, now considering ESWT

narcisus on 4/16/02 at 13:38 (079847)

Hi:

Just out of curiosity have any of the pods sent you to physical therapy for iontophoresis, ultrasound, etc?

Pete R on 4/16/02 at 15:40 (079865)

Had ultrasound which didn't work

Tammie on 4/16/02 at 19:18 (079897)

Yes I went for that for several visits!My foot was quite irritated from the iontophoresis, they had to move the leads or sticky stuff a bit higher more on leg as near the ankle it drove me mad. In the end nothing they did there helped that much except the heat treatments and the massages ( I did not like them ) But they really did help more then the rest.I had alot of calf knots and she would massage them out and heat. The heel area and ankle was torture.

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 19:37 (079900)

I haven't yet but I will start tomorrow morning... I'm kind of nervous about it all!

-- Sharon

Re: Hang in Sharon

Tammie on 4/16/02 at 19:56 (079905)

Sorry to read that you are suffering , it can be pretty stressful I can understand that part very well. Advice, try very hard to take each day at a time slowly and look for one thing anything in your day that makes you happy anything at all and enjoy the moment of reflection. I went to my sis house and suffered walking to much , but to me it was well worth it, I enjoyed the day with my sister her kids and my hubby and mother. I couldnt regret something that means so much!It is worth hurting as I would have anyways had I stayed home. So sharon , try very hard to find something as a goal that is small .One day at a time, dont stress about tomorrow or the next just the moment! Please have a hug from us as I really understand your frustration of all this. I can only offer support and hugs as I have no knowledge to help u elsewhere

Re: Tammie! How's your hubby?

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 20:53 (079917)

Tammie,

HI! SO glad you enjoyed being with your hubby and sister. I don't mean to be a whiner, especially with good examples out there like you, who are dealing with pain I can't even IMAGINE... and yet you still have a kind and loving word for everyone, and a positive attitude!

How is Hubby's knee coming along??

Actually, I'm NOT feeling negative about starting PT, it's just something new for me... I do have the hope that it might make a positive difference! It's just that I have no idea what they'll decide to do, and the posts I've read about PT range anywhere from 'it really helped a lot' to 'I'm sure it made my problem WORSE...'! I think it is probably quite natural, to be a little nervous about the unknown.

What state do you live in, Tammie?

-- Sharon

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 16:50 (079751)

The MRI suggests no PF but I have to ask how carefully the plantar fascia was looked at. Most cases of PF are diagnosed clinically though. Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon?
Ed

Pete R on 4/15/02 at 17:03 (079755)

Thanks.

The consultant I saw, following the MRI, was an ortho surgeon. Since when Pods and pod surgeons have said I have PF.

What do you mean by 'diagnosed clincally'

Do my symptoms sound like pf, if not, what else could it be after 2 years.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/15/02 at 19:02 (079770)

Diagnosing something clinically means to diagnose a disease based on the signs and symptoms observed by the doctor as opposed to use of tests.
The doctor listens, asks, touches, measures.....

If podiatrists have diagnosed PF, it is likely that that is the case. What type of treatments have you had for PF?
Ed

Pete R on 4/16/02 at 10:29 (079818)

All conservative stuff inc icing, stretching, orthotics, injections, now considering ESWT

narcisus on 4/16/02 at 13:38 (079847)

Hi:

Just out of curiosity have any of the pods sent you to physical therapy for iontophoresis, ultrasound, etc?

Pete R on 4/16/02 at 15:40 (079865)

Had ultrasound which didn't work

Tammie on 4/16/02 at 19:18 (079897)

Yes I went for that for several visits!My foot was quite irritated from the iontophoresis, they had to move the leads or sticky stuff a bit higher more on leg as near the ankle it drove me mad. In the end nothing they did there helped that much except the heat treatments and the massages ( I did not like them ) But they really did help more then the rest.I had alot of calf knots and she would massage them out and heat. The heel area and ankle was torture.

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 19:37 (079900)

I haven't yet but I will start tomorrow morning... I'm kind of nervous about it all!

-- Sharon

Re: Hang in Sharon

Tammie on 4/16/02 at 19:56 (079905)

Sorry to read that you are suffering , it can be pretty stressful I can understand that part very well. Advice, try very hard to take each day at a time slowly and look for one thing anything in your day that makes you happy anything at all and enjoy the moment of reflection. I went to my sis house and suffered walking to much , but to me it was well worth it, I enjoyed the day with my sister her kids and my hubby and mother. I couldnt regret something that means so much!It is worth hurting as I would have anyways had I stayed home. So sharon , try very hard to find something as a goal that is small .One day at a time, dont stress about tomorrow or the next just the moment! Please have a hug from us as I really understand your frustration of all this. I can only offer support and hugs as I have no knowledge to help u elsewhere

Re: Tammie! How's your hubby?

Sharon W on 4/16/02 at 20:53 (079917)

Tammie,

HI! SO glad you enjoyed being with your hubby and sister. I don't mean to be a whiner, especially with good examples out there like you, who are dealing with pain I can't even IMAGINE... and yet you still have a kind and loving word for everyone, and a positive attitude!

How is Hubby's knee coming along??

Actually, I'm NOT feeling negative about starting PT, it's just something new for me... I do have the hope that it might make a positive difference! It's just that I have no idea what they'll decide to do, and the posts I've read about PT range anywhere from 'it really helped a lot' to 'I'm sure it made my problem WORSE...'! I think it is probably quite natural, to be a little nervous about the unknown.

What state do you live in, Tammie?

-- Sharon