Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I found some icing information

Posted by Ellen J. on 4/15/02 at 17:06 (079756)

Hi all,
I found a very interesting article on icing at the following: http://www.rrca.org/publicat/ice.html
If the doctors disagree with anything in this article I would be interested to hear their opinion. I found it very in depth and informative but am not sure about the part where it says that part of icing is 'going numb'. I would worry that some people
might cause frostbite at that stage?
Any opinions?
Ellen J.
PS. I hope I typed the link correctly

Re: I found some icing information

Rich on 4/15/02 at 17:27 (079758)

The ice cup is the method I use. It usually takes only about ten minutes to get to the numbing stage. I rub all over the heel area and use the edge to get right into the insertion point. Works for me!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 18:30 (079764)

Here's my opinion (I'm another PF sufferer, who's healing nicely).

I only ice until 'Stage 3' (Aching) barely begins, if that long. What I do is to put my foot on a bag of frozen peas for about five minutes, until it starts to hurt a lot, then take it off for about a minute until it stops hurting so much, then repeat, and do this maybe five or six times. If my feet are really hurting, I might wait an hour and then do this another five or six times.

Granted, this isn't the recommended way to ice.

Still, I get a LOT of benefit from icing this way and I don't flirt with frostbite or cause myself excessive pain. Maybe I'd get more benefit if I iced more aggressively, but I don't so who knows? I do quite nicely by using this method of icing. Hope this helps.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 4/15/02 at 21:00 (079780)

Thanks for both your notes, Rich and Carol-
So far I've used a gel pack although it tends to get warm quickly. I've used the dixie cup method and I like it also.
What I found interesting in the article on icing is that it can reduce the amount of injury if done after exercising. I just went bicycling for the first time since my last reinjury and felt a few twinges and now I'm terrified that I will wake up crippled in the morning. I've been icing all night and wondering if this is actually going to keep me from a crippling reinjury. According to the article, it can but I don't know how much of an effect it can have or how long I have to do it. Anyway, I won't go for the numbness that is indicated in the article--I'll ice just until it hurts.
Thanks!
Ellen J.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 21:21 (079782)

I sure hope it works, Ellen! I know what you mean about being scared of re-injury. A few twinges might not mean anything, or it might. Keep re-icing it when it warms up, while you're awake. Also tomorrow it might be a good idea to repeat, even if it's been a while. Can't do any harm, anyway. Don't forget any gentle stretching that's helped in the past. Doing that several times may help too. Good luck!!!!

Carole C

Ellen J. on 4/16/02 at 10:17 (079817)

Hi Carol,
I saw that you posted a second message below but when I clicked on it, up came a message posted by Ed. Davis instead. Am not sure where your message went! Anyway, I wish I could have read what you had posted. After icing all evening last night, my feet are not as bad as I thought they would be. Will wait to see what they will be like at the 36 hour mark tomorrow AM. I do think the icing helped alot and will continue to ice today.
Ellen

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 14:53 (079858)

Gee, I don't know where it went either! I should have checked it earlier.

I didn't have a whole lot to say. I suggested that you keep icing off and on as much as you felt you could until bedtime, and then also that it might be a good idea to ice again today even though the injury was yesterday. And, do any gentle stretching that seems to help.

Sounds like you are already doing these things, so good. I'm SO glad that your feet are not as bad as you feared. That's got to have been pretty scary when you didn't know if you'd triggered a big setback.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 4/16/02 at 19:57 (079906)

Thanks!
You and everyone on this site provide so much valuable help and support that I don't know what I would do if I didn't have access to everyone's knowlege and experience. I just wish I had found this site 3 years ago but better late than never.
I found out that Scott's Heel Pain advice of 'when in doubt don't do it' is also great advice. I just wish I would adhere to it. I'm just too anxious to try and get back some of my lost fitness and must learn patience.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Re: "when in doubt don't do it"

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 20:13 (079909)

I think we all have problems adhering to this advice! It's good advice, though. I've found that if I try to do LESS than I think I can do, I heal faster. So for me, it extends beyond that vague area of doubt into the area of what I think I can do.

I've noticed that a lot of us here tend to be very capable, Type A, highly motivated, highly accomplished people. So maybe that's part of why we expected too much of our feet. It's hard for someone with this type of personality to just sit around and do nothing.

I have been starting my exercise program again. That's how I messed up my feet the first time, but I'm doing it more intelligently now (hopefully). So far, so good; I haven't hurt myself. However I have found it very difficult to maintain a sensible level of exercise, even though I know that overdoing will not work in my favor. If I just don't injure myself and have patience I will be doing more soon.

Carole C

Re: Disposable ice packs

Ellen J. on 4/17/02 at 13:37 (080005)

Glad to hear you are able to exercise again, esp. now that it's spring and if your'e careful, you get to enjoy the whole summer and actually do things outside--very exciting thought!
Yes, I agree that some of us are over-doers and I would fit that description. It takes awhile to change old habits for the better.

While I'm on the net, I thought I would put the word out about 'disposable ice packs'. I realized they would be perfect to keep in the car in case of reinjury while away from home. Apparently you squeeze the packet, mixing two chemicals together which then causes the pack to become cold. Just thought they might be a good way to ice immediately after any activity to prevent too much swelling (and therefore limit the amount of damage done).
Ellen

Rich on 4/15/02 at 17:27 (079758)

The ice cup is the method I use. It usually takes only about ten minutes to get to the numbing stage. I rub all over the heel area and use the edge to get right into the insertion point. Works for me!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 18:30 (079764)

Here's my opinion (I'm another PF sufferer, who's healing nicely).

I only ice until 'Stage 3' (Aching) barely begins, if that long. What I do is to put my foot on a bag of frozen peas for about five minutes, until it starts to hurt a lot, then take it off for about a minute until it stops hurting so much, then repeat, and do this maybe five or six times. If my feet are really hurting, I might wait an hour and then do this another five or six times.

Granted, this isn't the recommended way to ice.

Still, I get a LOT of benefit from icing this way and I don't flirt with frostbite or cause myself excessive pain. Maybe I'd get more benefit if I iced more aggressively, but I don't so who knows? I do quite nicely by using this method of icing. Hope this helps.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 4/15/02 at 21:00 (079780)

Thanks for both your notes, Rich and Carol-
So far I've used a gel pack although it tends to get warm quickly. I've used the dixie cup method and I like it also.
What I found interesting in the article on icing is that it can reduce the amount of injury if done after exercising. I just went bicycling for the first time since my last reinjury and felt a few twinges and now I'm terrified that I will wake up crippled in the morning. I've been icing all night and wondering if this is actually going to keep me from a crippling reinjury. According to the article, it can but I don't know how much of an effect it can have or how long I have to do it. Anyway, I won't go for the numbness that is indicated in the article--I'll ice just until it hurts.
Thanks!
Ellen J.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/15/02 at 21:21 (079782)

I sure hope it works, Ellen! I know what you mean about being scared of re-injury. A few twinges might not mean anything, or it might. Keep re-icing it when it warms up, while you're awake. Also tomorrow it might be a good idea to repeat, even if it's been a while. Can't do any harm, anyway. Don't forget any gentle stretching that's helped in the past. Doing that several times may help too. Good luck!!!!

Carole C

Ellen J. on 4/16/02 at 10:17 (079817)

Hi Carol,
I saw that you posted a second message below but when I clicked on it, up came a message posted by Ed. Davis instead. Am not sure where your message went! Anyway, I wish I could have read what you had posted. After icing all evening last night, my feet are not as bad as I thought they would be. Will wait to see what they will be like at the 36 hour mark tomorrow AM. I do think the icing helped alot and will continue to ice today.
Ellen

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 14:53 (079858)

Gee, I don't know where it went either! I should have checked it earlier.

I didn't have a whole lot to say. I suggested that you keep icing off and on as much as you felt you could until bedtime, and then also that it might be a good idea to ice again today even though the injury was yesterday. And, do any gentle stretching that seems to help.

Sounds like you are already doing these things, so good. I'm SO glad that your feet are not as bad as you feared. That's got to have been pretty scary when you didn't know if you'd triggered a big setback.

Carole C

Ellen J. on 4/16/02 at 19:57 (079906)

Thanks!
You and everyone on this site provide so much valuable help and support that I don't know what I would do if I didn't have access to everyone's knowlege and experience. I just wish I had found this site 3 years ago but better late than never.
I found out that Scott's Heel Pain advice of 'when in doubt don't do it' is also great advice. I just wish I would adhere to it. I'm just too anxious to try and get back some of my lost fitness and must learn patience.
Thanks again,
Ellen

Re: "when in doubt don't do it"

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 20:13 (079909)

I think we all have problems adhering to this advice! It's good advice, though. I've found that if I try to do LESS than I think I can do, I heal faster. So for me, it extends beyond that vague area of doubt into the area of what I think I can do.

I've noticed that a lot of us here tend to be very capable, Type A, highly motivated, highly accomplished people. So maybe that's part of why we expected too much of our feet. It's hard for someone with this type of personality to just sit around and do nothing.

I have been starting my exercise program again. That's how I messed up my feet the first time, but I'm doing it more intelligently now (hopefully). So far, so good; I haven't hurt myself. However I have found it very difficult to maintain a sensible level of exercise, even though I know that overdoing will not work in my favor. If I just don't injure myself and have patience I will be doing more soon.

Carole C

Re: Disposable ice packs

Ellen J. on 4/17/02 at 13:37 (080005)

Glad to hear you are able to exercise again, esp. now that it's spring and if your'e careful, you get to enjoy the whole summer and actually do things outside--very exciting thought!
Yes, I agree that some of us are over-doers and I would fit that description. It takes awhile to change old habits for the better.

While I'm on the net, I thought I would put the word out about 'disposable ice packs'. I realized they would be perfect to keep in the car in case of reinjury while away from home. Apparently you squeeze the packet, mixing two chemicals together which then causes the pack to become cold. Just thought they might be a good way to ice immediately after any activity to prevent too much swelling (and therefore limit the amount of damage done).
Ellen