Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Balance, changing shoes now and then

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 06:50 (079797)

This morning my feet felt kind of cranky, aching and just being difficult. They felt a little swollen and hurt along the outer edge, pain level 2 which isn't much but still a drag. I did my gentle stretching three times but they just didn't seem to want to relax even in my Birkenstocks. So, I iced them for about ten minutes and then put on my New Balance 879, which I've hardly ever worn. Ironically, these New Balance feel great today! The cushioning is just what my heels needed this morning. At last my feet have relaxed.

I've complained about my 879's in the past (mainly about their slippy heels and overly wide toe box), but maybe it just wasn't the right time for them. It's so curious how in PF, just changing shoes now and then can make a big difference.

Carole C

Re: New Balance, changing shoes now and then

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 08:02 (079802)

That's happened to me the entire time I have had pf...my NB sat in the closet for months and now they are the most approprite for my feet...right now...for now.
tomorrow who knows.

Rich on 4/16/02 at 08:14 (079804)

Sorry to hear your feet are cranky...after all your progress I know that can be depressing. I swear by my New Balance! I'm still experimenting...today I have on two shoes!!! I switched from my boot cast to a small brace and will use the crutches as needed. I want to go outside, it's such a beautiful day! If the weather here keeps up (warm) our pool will be ready very soon! Yesterday you could start to feel the difference....though just slightly!

Take it easy and take care of those feet! Have a Great Day!

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 14:31 (079856)

Yes, it's warm and summery already! Looks like a long hot summer ahead. My feet felt WONDERFUL today wearing my New Balance 879's. All that cushioning is great. My feet were back to less than 0.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I was aggravated with them this morning because they hurt on a level 2, though. I guess sometimes it just takes fiddling around and doing something different. I still think my NB are not quite right for my feet, maybe tilting inwards a little much, but since they feel good and they don't seem to have any drastically bad effect on my gait I don't care.

Today I got back on my recumbent bike, which I let slide when I went on the cruise. I rode it 1.1 miles in 5 minutes at zero resistance, wearing my NB, and my feet still feel great.

How are you feeling now that you have had two shoes on for a few hours? I hope your feet don't hurt from it. I can sure understand your wanting to go outside. I took the afternoon off from work.

Carole C

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:43 (079889)

Well, I'm getting pretty close to tears. As soon as dinner is prepared, it's ice for me! This was a big mistake. I will be back in my cast after I ice and on the phone to the pod first thing in the morning. I am just hoping and praying I didn't cause a major setback. This is really discouraging. Dr. Cozz on the other board replied that five weeks seemed like a really long resting period.

When my pod put me in the cam walker, he told me he rarely had to resort to that. Usually his patients at that stage were candidates for surgery. Not an option for me....just getting scared now!

I'll keep you posted....

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 19:39 (079901)

Aw, Rich! (hugs) I am so sorry you are in such pain again. If it was me, I'd have my foot on a bag of frozen veggies (or in that ice cup that I know you like to use) right now and as much as I could for most of the evening... and I'd do my very gentle sitting down stretches several times too. If you take anti-inflammatories, don't forget them! Don't feel discouraged. Just keep reading that heel pain book and dream about the zoo because it may take time, but we will get there together eventually!

Carole C

Anne H on 4/17/02 at 11:52 (079984)

I am on my way today to buy a pair of NB for walking daily. I notice you mention Birkenstocks - are they recommended too? Is there a special style to get? I am thinking of getting something for everyday use as well as the NB for my walks.Thanks

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 12:58 (079998)

Birkenstock Arizonas with the classic footbed seem to work best for most peoples' feet. I think more people like them than any other shoe here! If you can afford it, get the kind with the leather, suede, or nubuck uppers since they seem to fit slightly better than the ones with the manmade uppers. If it's possible, go to a Birkenstock store to have them expertly fitted.

Birkenstocks are great and I still wear my Birkenstocks around the house.

Carole C

Anne H on 4/17/02 at 17:05 (080032)

Thanks for that prompt response! I bought my NB at a walking shoe store (paid thru the nose of course, but at least I know I have the right fit). I got the 841. I then went to another store to look at Birkenstocks. I found that altho I have what is considered a wide foot, the 39 I had on that felt great, if it stretched could get too wide. So they put me in a 40 narrow which seemed better but not as perfect. They did not have much selection and I could not afford another pair of shoes today so thought I would find a Birkenstock store here in MD (I hope). Thanks again, I have been wearing a cheap pair of Nikes that my son threw out! That could be causing the pain in the upper outside of my right foot that sometimes extends to the little toe and also seems to be on the right side of the heel after resting. I hope its not anything serious as I do not care for medical intervention in health matters, prefer to find natural means if possible :~)

Anne H on 4/17/02 at 17:37 (080035)

Thanks for that prompt response! I bought my NB at a walking shoe store (paid thru the nose of course, but at least I know I have the right fit). I got the 841. I then went to another store to look at Birkenstocks. I found that altho I have what is considered a wide foot, the 39 I had on that felt great, if it stretched could get too wide. So they put me in a 40 narrow which seemed better but not as perfect. They did not have much selection and I could not afford another pair of shoes today so thought I would find a Birkenstock store here in MD (I hope). Thanks again, I have been wearing a cheap pair of Nikes that my son threw out! That could be causing the pain in the upper outside of my right foot that sometimes extends to the little toe and also seems to be on the right side of the heel after resting. I hope its not anything serious as I do not care for medical intervention in health matters, prefer to find natural means if possible :~)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 19:51 (080047)

Anne, I'm glad you found a NB that you like. The 841 is listed on the New Balance website as a motion control shoe, so if you have a tendency to pronate as many PF sufferers do, it should help to straighten out your gait. Some PF sufferers don't pronate (though apparently most do).

So, if you don't know whether or not you pronate, you will want to keep an eye on how you are doing so you don't end up in a worse situation than what you already have. As you wear these shoes, pay attention to any strange effects it may have on how you walk, and watch out for any new knee or hip pains. I hope they help you a lot! I am enjoying my New Balance and wore them most of the day today.

It's really worth it to go to a good Birkenstock store if there's one there, especially if you are kind of between sizes like you apparently are. (Me too.)

Carole C

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 08:02 (079802)

That's happened to me the entire time I have had pf...my NB sat in the closet for months and now they are the most approprite for my feet...right now...for now.
tomorrow who knows.

Rich on 4/16/02 at 08:14 (079804)

Sorry to hear your feet are cranky...after all your progress I know that can be depressing. I swear by my New Balance! I'm still experimenting...today I have on two shoes!!! I switched from my boot cast to a small brace and will use the crutches as needed. I want to go outside, it's such a beautiful day! If the weather here keeps up (warm) our pool will be ready very soon! Yesterday you could start to feel the difference....though just slightly!

Take it easy and take care of those feet! Have a Great Day!

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 14:31 (079856)

Yes, it's warm and summery already! Looks like a long hot summer ahead. My feet felt WONDERFUL today wearing my New Balance 879's. All that cushioning is great. My feet were back to less than 0.5 on a scale of 1 to 10. I was aggravated with them this morning because they hurt on a level 2, though. I guess sometimes it just takes fiddling around and doing something different. I still think my NB are not quite right for my feet, maybe tilting inwards a little much, but since they feel good and they don't seem to have any drastically bad effect on my gait I don't care.

Today I got back on my recumbent bike, which I let slide when I went on the cruise. I rode it 1.1 miles in 5 minutes at zero resistance, wearing my NB, and my feet still feel great.

How are you feeling now that you have had two shoes on for a few hours? I hope your feet don't hurt from it. I can sure understand your wanting to go outside. I took the afternoon off from work.

Carole C

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:43 (079889)

Well, I'm getting pretty close to tears. As soon as dinner is prepared, it's ice for me! This was a big mistake. I will be back in my cast after I ice and on the phone to the pod first thing in the morning. I am just hoping and praying I didn't cause a major setback. This is really discouraging. Dr. Cozz on the other board replied that five weeks seemed like a really long resting period.

When my pod put me in the cam walker, he told me he rarely had to resort to that. Usually his patients at that stage were candidates for surgery. Not an option for me....just getting scared now!

I'll keep you posted....

Rich

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 19:39 (079901)

Aw, Rich! (hugs) I am so sorry you are in such pain again. If it was me, I'd have my foot on a bag of frozen veggies (or in that ice cup that I know you like to use) right now and as much as I could for most of the evening... and I'd do my very gentle sitting down stretches several times too. If you take anti-inflammatories, don't forget them! Don't feel discouraged. Just keep reading that heel pain book and dream about the zoo because it may take time, but we will get there together eventually!

Carole C

Anne H on 4/17/02 at 11:52 (079984)

I am on my way today to buy a pair of NB for walking daily. I notice you mention Birkenstocks - are they recommended too? Is there a special style to get? I am thinking of getting something for everyday use as well as the NB for my walks.Thanks

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 12:58 (079998)

Birkenstock Arizonas with the classic footbed seem to work best for most peoples' feet. I think more people like them than any other shoe here! If you can afford it, get the kind with the leather, suede, or nubuck uppers since they seem to fit slightly better than the ones with the manmade uppers. If it's possible, go to a Birkenstock store to have them expertly fitted.

Birkenstocks are great and I still wear my Birkenstocks around the house.

Carole C

Anne H on 4/17/02 at 17:05 (080032)

Anne H on 4/17/02 at 17:37 (080035)

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 19:51 (080047)

Anne, I'm glad you found a NB that you like. The 841 is listed on the New Balance website as a motion control shoe, so if you have a tendency to pronate as many PF sufferers do, it should help to straighten out your gait. Some PF sufferers don't pronate (though apparently most do).

So, if you don't know whether or not you pronate, you will want to keep an eye on how you are doing so you don't end up in a worse situation than what you already have. As you wear these shoes, pay attention to any strange effects it may have on how you walk, and watch out for any new knee or hip pains. I hope they help you a lot! I am enjoying my New Balance and wore them most of the day today.

It's really worth it to go to a good Birkenstock store if there's one there, especially if you are kind of between sizes like you apparently are. (Me too.)

Carole C