Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

over stretching

Posted by dave on 4/16/02 at 09:04 (079808)

i have had pf for five years now. i too have ran the gantlet of trying everything. I get the greatest relief from taping. I have tried stretching but i always end up worse off. I am unable to stretch properly. I use a personal foot trainer at night and wear night splints. My stretching includes simple stretches for three seconds at a time. I do 15 sets of those. I have tried to go to four seconds but the pain level increase to the point where i cant stand it. I am unable to stand on my feet for any length of time. I had eswt performed on both feet just over three weeks ago. The dornier was used and the head of the machine was placed against the insertion point on the pf. When i over stretch my pain seems to come from my ahilles tendon and the back to the bottom of my heel. This radiates all over the bottom of my foot. i have had this problem for a very long time including the pf. It seems one spot directly effects the other, If i dont stretch my pf flares up if i do strect the my achilles area flares up. So what do i do? Any feedback would be great

Re: over stretching

Ellen J. on 4/18/02 at 13:02 (080149)

Hi Dave,
Hopefully the doctors here can help you. I have had P.F. for almost 3 years and only recently discovered that all the stretching I was doing was actually perpetuating the PF. I then started to stretch differently and I saw improvement. Apparently I was overdoing it by putting my foot against the wall and also trying to stretch the hamstrings too much. I found I had to wait until the pain level subsided before I could begin stretching (maybe you already tried waiting), and then once I started stretching much more gently I got better. I now don't use anything to pull or push on my foot--I only use my foot muscles to gently bring my toe area back, thus flexing the foot backward. I do my hamstring stretches much more gently now also. Sometimes the calf muscle tightens alot, causing pain in the achilles so am considering massaging my own calves before trying to stretch in order to loosen them up. Any chance that you might be using the Foot Trainer too soon? I think those exercises are supposed to be done pain-free, according to the manual, though maybe the doctors will say that you can use it anytime.
I will be interested in knowing what the doctors and others think. I'm only mentioning what works for me, though it may not work for you.
Good luck!
Ellenh

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 15:38 (080169)

Why don't you switch to just passive stretching and ly off the active stretching and see if this makes a differnece. Use the night splints. You might be overdoing it.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Ellen J. on 4/18/02 at 13:02 (080149)

Hi Dave,
Hopefully the doctors here can help you. I have had P.F. for almost 3 years and only recently discovered that all the stretching I was doing was actually perpetuating the PF. I then started to stretch differently and I saw improvement. Apparently I was overdoing it by putting my foot against the wall and also trying to stretch the hamstrings too much. I found I had to wait until the pain level subsided before I could begin stretching (maybe you already tried waiting), and then once I started stretching much more gently I got better. I now don't use anything to pull or push on my foot--I only use my foot muscles to gently bring my toe area back, thus flexing the foot backward. I do my hamstring stretches much more gently now also. Sometimes the calf muscle tightens alot, causing pain in the achilles so am considering massaging my own calves before trying to stretch in order to loosen them up. Any chance that you might be using the Foot Trainer too soon? I think those exercises are supposed to be done pain-free, according to the manual, though maybe the doctors will say that you can use it anytime.
I will be interested in knowing what the doctors and others think. I'm only mentioning what works for me, though it may not work for you.
Good luck!
Ellenh

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/18/02 at 15:38 (080169)

Why don't you switch to just passive stretching and ly off the active stretching and see if this makes a differnece. Use the night splints. You might be overdoing it.

Dr. John Cozzarelli