Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sever's disease

Posted by Maury R on 4/16/02 at 10:01 (079814)

My 11 yr old son was recently diagnosed with Sever's disease. He is very active in sports but can hardly walk sometimes due to the pain. His doctor stated that he would eventually grow out of it and recommended no treatment other than to discontinue activity when he felt pain. I have been unable to find any further info about this condition. My question is, what can be done to prevent or releave the pain caused by Sever's Disease?

Re: Sever's disease

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 10:17 (079816)

Maury~

Try doing a search on Severs Disease ont his site while you wait for the doctors to answer....it has been brought up a lot lately.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/16/02 at 19:00 (079893)

Maury, there have been many postings on Sever's disease. I have answered this question many times on this site and I'm sure you would find the information beneficial. Go to the main menu and browse through the menu to do a search. Then search for Sever's disease and previous discussions will appear.

In a nutshell, Sever's is an irritation/inflammation of the growth plate at the back of the heel bone (calcaneus). The Achilles tendon attaches to this area, and sports/activities that cause pulling of the Achilles actually causes the Achilles to pull on the growth plate causing pain and inflammation. As a competing athlete and soccer coach, I rarely tell kids to simply stop playing. If your son is playing soccer, the soccer shoe is often implicated due to the design of most soccer shoes. If soccer is the sport, I would highly recommend a 'turf' shoe (this differs from an indoor shoe). The brands I personally prefer are Adidas, Kelme or Puma. Heel lifts are often beneficial as well as orthoses. Icing the area and pediatric doses of Advil (if your child can take Advil) are also beneficial. Limit barefoot walking and seek professional care. Email me directly if you have any additional questions. (email removed)

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:39 (079931)

Dr Wander - I can't believe how many times this question gets asked. Maybe Scott could add it to his book? Or you just have a form that you copy and paste from all the time?

My son had it when he was about 13 - I had no idea it's so common!

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/17/02 at 12:08 (079989)

Wendy, this question does get asked quite a bit, but I guess it's because it's such a common problem. It's probably what brings many people to this site, and they don't realize the topic has been discussed so much. I've been involved with soccer for many years and in the soccer community it's extremely prevalent (youth soccer). The soccer shoe manufacturers are aware of the problem, and that's why more soccer 'turf shoe' models are now available in kids sizes.

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 10:17 (079816)

Maury~

Try doing a search on Severs Disease ont his site while you wait for the doctors to answer....it has been brought up a lot lately.

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/16/02 at 19:00 (079893)

Maury, there have been many postings on Sever's disease. I have answered this question many times on this site and I'm sure you would find the information beneficial. Go to the main menu and browse through the menu to do a search. Then search for Sever's disease and previous discussions will appear.

In a nutshell, Sever's is an irritation/inflammation of the growth plate at the back of the heel bone (calcaneus). The Achilles tendon attaches to this area, and sports/activities that cause pulling of the Achilles actually causes the Achilles to pull on the growth plate causing pain and inflammation. As a competing athlete and soccer coach, I rarely tell kids to simply stop playing. If your son is playing soccer, the soccer shoe is often implicated due to the design of most soccer shoes. If soccer is the sport, I would highly recommend a 'turf' shoe (this differs from an indoor shoe). The brands I personally prefer are Adidas, Kelme or Puma. Heel lifts are often beneficial as well as orthoses. Icing the area and pediatric doses of Advil (if your child can take Advil) are also beneficial. Limit barefoot walking and seek professional care. Email me directly if you have any additional questions. (email removed)

wendyn on 4/16/02 at 22:39 (079931)

Dr Wander - I can't believe how many times this question gets asked. Maybe Scott could add it to his book? Or you just have a form that you copy and paste from all the time?

My son had it when he was about 13 - I had no idea it's so common!

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/17/02 at 12:08 (079989)

Wendy, this question does get asked quite a bit, but I guess it's because it's such a common problem. It's probably what brings many people to this site, and they don't realize the topic has been discussed so much. I've been involved with soccer for many years and in the soccer community it's extremely prevalent (youth soccer). The soccer shoe manufacturers are aware of the problem, and that's why more soccer 'turf shoe' models are now available in kids sizes.