Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need more advise

Posted by Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 10:52 (079820)

Hi everyone
It is great to read over the bulletin boards and get so much info and should I say comfort that there are others out there that know what I am talking about like please drop me off at the door because I dont think I can manage to walk across the parking lot, especially after sitting in the car for a bit. I get confused on some of the messages from all you old timers but always interesting to hear what you have to say and what you are experiencing in your life.
Advise I need: I returned to work after a few weeks off post injection and cast and doing 4hour shifts (work in a busy ICU where the workload is unpredictable) After my second shift I was very optimistic, some pain but not the kind that you can just cry. Following couple of days were not that bad either, managed to do some shopping for myself and my spirits were very high. I know that there will be set backs but at the time they can be very distressing. I returned to work again yesterday for another 4 hour shift which ended being 6 hours which was unavoidable. Needless to say, I left in excrutiating pain once again went home iced, massaged, stretched, slept with night splint and woke up this morning not feeling too bad but am very afraid to return to the Torture Houes today. One of my colleagues waiting a little longer to come back, to heal a bit longer. I feel like such a whimp and am sure that I am under alot of scrutiny from other co-workers. I miss my work and the social aspect of it too.
Bottom line is ... should I give it more time to heal since I feel that I have made some progress and dont want to go back to square one.
Diane O.
ps. My question mark does not want to work ÉÉÉ that is what I get and donèt know how to fix it LOL

Re: Need more advise

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 10:59 (079821)

My opinion? yes. Get a work restricted to 4 hours (since it seems you can tolerate this prtty well) and stick to it. period. The work load can't be your problem if they know you are on restriction...they will have to plan to have someone come in early the days you work or something....this could determine your longterm outlook. Don't let social needs or embarrassment or 'feeling like a wimp' put your feet in jeopardy.
Do the right thing now and you may not have to ever do this again.

John k on 4/16/02 at 11:45 (079832)

I would try to get a more sendentary job within your field. I have had PF for many years and it has just gotten worse over time. I could never stand all day like I used to for 10-12 hrs. Eventually your feet will just give out.

Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 11:55 (079833)

Eventhoough I am on a restricted 4 hour shift, at times it can get really crazy where I work and you are actually running the entire time you are there. It is very unpredictable. My relief comes in on time but I canèt abandon my duties while I am at work and must finish up things that I canèt pass on to the next shift. I am going to give it a couple more shots at it and then see what happens. I just donèt want to regress.
Diane O.
ps; dumb keyboard and even dumber operator éééÉÉÉèèèÈÈÈ donè know how to fix it, and can confuse readers ...or make them laugh...

Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 12:01 (079835)

That is depressing advise John since I love what I do but unfortunately true. Have been thinking of furthering my education so that I can become nurse educator or some kind of desk job. Probabley wouldnèt like it much. Like to get into the action and such..adrenaline junkie I guess. Anyways these are long-term goals that wonèt happen overnight. I need a quick fix remedy to get me there. LOL

D.Thomas on 4/16/02 at 13:43 (079848)

Diane,

If you have to work on your feet please use TAPE! I use the low dye method with a cambell strap. It can take all the abuse I can give it. I wear it all the time when I know I am going to be on my feet. Given your situation, this is my best advice. This pain takes time to heal, there is no quick fix for us.

D.Thomas on 4/16/02 at 13:46 (079850)

Was just thinking, you work at a hospital right? Does it have a Physical Therapy office? Or maybe you have a good PT working there? Maybe you can run in there and have them tape you before your shift each day?

When I said no quick fixes, I mean people who tend to have this for a while, it takes them longer to heal.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 14:06 (079853)

I agree with Carmen that you need more rest. I think that resting more, and doing more of the conservative treatments than you think you need, can make all the difference. If you haven't had PF for very long, you have a better chance of healing fast. I think you shouldn't give up on your job, though. You need to give your feet a chance, let them heal, and you may find that you can continue with just a few compromises, like good shoes and stretching to keep your feet healthy.

Good for you to have iced, massaged, and stretched. That's what helps me too when I've overdone.

Carole C

Re: don't rush....

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:14 (079883)

Diane, don't rush your healing time. This may take a long time to heal and each setback can be devastating. I tried to wean out of my cast and already know I made a HUGE mistake! Back into the cast AND on the crutches for me! I wanted to go back to work and can't drive with my cast on and was hoping to be able to take a few steps and drive myself around. Luckily, I work for my husband and I can set my hours....if would be in despair if I was still out in the workplace I was before.

As for your keyboard...I thought you had a french accent there for awhile! LOL

Rich

SteveP on 4/16/02 at 20:46 (079915)

Hi Diane --

I agree with John K. Change your job field & get off your feet! Don't mess around with this.

Once a PF case becomes chronic (through repeated re-aggravation), it can have a devastating impact on one's life.

Please do yourself a favor & start the process now.

Steve

dave on 4/17/02 at 09:37 (079967)

I agree with everyone. I tried to walk through the pain when i first acquired pf and it eventually became chronic. I went from standing on my feet for thirteen hours a day to barely able to feed me dogs at night. Now i am confined to a desk job that i hate at a much lower pay. Please do everything that you can to help yourself heal. You must be proactive in your treatment.

lisa k on 4/19/02 at 02:03 (080245)

you are not a whimp this problem requires a lot of courage;just listen to tha 'wise woman ' inside of you im learnig from all of you slow it down rest more than i think pain is a protective signal to stop hang in ther HEALING happens

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 10:59 (079821)

My opinion? yes. Get a work restricted to 4 hours (since it seems you can tolerate this prtty well) and stick to it. period. The work load can't be your problem if they know you are on restriction...they will have to plan to have someone come in early the days you work or something....this could determine your longterm outlook. Don't let social needs or embarrassment or 'feeling like a wimp' put your feet in jeopardy.
Do the right thing now and you may not have to ever do this again.

John k on 4/16/02 at 11:45 (079832)

I would try to get a more sendentary job within your field. I have had PF for many years and it has just gotten worse over time. I could never stand all day like I used to for 10-12 hrs. Eventually your feet will just give out.

Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 11:55 (079833)

Eventhoough I am on a restricted 4 hour shift, at times it can get really crazy where I work and you are actually running the entire time you are there. It is very unpredictable. My relief comes in on time but I canèt abandon my duties while I am at work and must finish up things that I canèt pass on to the next shift. I am going to give it a couple more shots at it and then see what happens. I just donèt want to regress.
Diane O.
ps; dumb keyboard and even dumber operator éééÉÉÉèèèÈÈÈ donè know how to fix it, and can confuse readers ...or make them laugh...

Diane O. on 4/16/02 at 12:01 (079835)

That is depressing advise John since I love what I do but unfortunately true. Have been thinking of furthering my education so that I can become nurse educator or some kind of desk job. Probabley wouldnèt like it much. Like to get into the action and such..adrenaline junkie I guess. Anyways these are long-term goals that wonèt happen overnight. I need a quick fix remedy to get me there. LOL

D.Thomas on 4/16/02 at 13:43 (079848)

Diane,

If you have to work on your feet please use TAPE! I use the low dye method with a cambell strap. It can take all the abuse I can give it. I wear it all the time when I know I am going to be on my feet. Given your situation, this is my best advice. This pain takes time to heal, there is no quick fix for us.

D.Thomas on 4/16/02 at 13:46 (079850)

Was just thinking, you work at a hospital right? Does it have a Physical Therapy office? Or maybe you have a good PT working there? Maybe you can run in there and have them tape you before your shift each day?

When I said no quick fixes, I mean people who tend to have this for a while, it takes them longer to heal.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/16/02 at 14:06 (079853)

I agree with Carmen that you need more rest. I think that resting more, and doing more of the conservative treatments than you think you need, can make all the difference. If you haven't had PF for very long, you have a better chance of healing fast. I think you shouldn't give up on your job, though. You need to give your feet a chance, let them heal, and you may find that you can continue with just a few compromises, like good shoes and stretching to keep your feet healthy.

Good for you to have iced, massaged, and stretched. That's what helps me too when I've overdone.

Carole C

Re: don't rush....

Rich on 4/16/02 at 18:14 (079883)

Diane, don't rush your healing time. This may take a long time to heal and each setback can be devastating. I tried to wean out of my cast and already know I made a HUGE mistake! Back into the cast AND on the crutches for me! I wanted to go back to work and can't drive with my cast on and was hoping to be able to take a few steps and drive myself around. Luckily, I work for my husband and I can set my hours....if would be in despair if I was still out in the workplace I was before.

As for your keyboard...I thought you had a french accent there for awhile! LOL

Rich

SteveP on 4/16/02 at 20:46 (079915)

Hi Diane --

I agree with John K. Change your job field & get off your feet! Don't mess around with this.

Once a PF case becomes chronic (through repeated re-aggravation), it can have a devastating impact on one's life.

Please do yourself a favor & start the process now.

Steve

dave on 4/17/02 at 09:37 (079967)

I agree with everyone. I tried to walk through the pain when i first acquired pf and it eventually became chronic. I went from standing on my feet for thirteen hours a day to barely able to feed me dogs at night. Now i am confined to a desk job that i hate at a much lower pay. Please do everything that you can to help yourself heal. You must be proactive in your treatment.

lisa k on 4/19/02 at 02:03 (080245)

you are not a whimp this problem requires a lot of courage;just listen to tha 'wise woman ' inside of you im learnig from all of you slow it down rest more than i think pain is a protective signal to stop hang in ther HEALING happens