Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tried the New Zealand Healing Ointment

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 4/16/02 at 11:26 (079826)

from the link here on this site:
bbv.cgi?n=78372
(Pete recommended it)

I don't think it would cure me, but it sure feels nice on my
feet and lower back. I took a bath last night and then rubbed it
in my feet and lower back. I felt better waking up (but then that
could be just taking the bath and soaking the painful feet and back).

It works out to about 11 bucks US a tube of 50g.
If the German one on this site is cheaper, I might try that
one too.

This one does have great service...got my 2 tubes in 6 actual days from
ordering.

I just noticed that if you don't live in New Zealand, you should type

nogst

in the coupon space to not be charged their tax.

Just thought i would pass this along since I found it a little helpful.

I also checked with my mom (she is a neurologist-brain&nerve doctor) on if the Ibuprofen could hurt you (like overdose through the skin). She laughed and said 'I doubt you would even get enough for one dose [putting it on the skin]'. I trust my mom that it won't hurt me, so I am using this stuff now every day. Maybe just the menthol feels nice and the Ibuprofen
doesn't even sink in...but for $11 bucks a tube, why not.

Cheers.

Melissa

Re: Tried the New Zealand Healing Ointment

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 12:07 (079837)

Your mom is a neurologist? You shuld TAP her brain for all she's worth on the feet issue!!!!!!
She doesthe nerve tests we talk about here...EMG NCv etc...
You're lucky to have such a great resource at your fingertips!

Mahatmelissama on 4/17/02 at 11:23 (079982)

I have and she doesn't seem to have much info on feet. Don't get me wrong, my mom is a GREAT neurologist. About PF, she knew like one person who had to dip her feet into a bucket of ice for PF and that seems to be the extent of her knowledge of it (besides a smigin of stuff all doctors get on feet in their training). She has treated a friend of mine for tarsel tunel in her hands and probably could tell me about that in feet...but plantar facitiis ????

I love my mom but I am finding YOU ALL to have more info than my mother. ;)

Carmen on 4/17/02 at 14:30 (080014)

You mean carpal tunnel in her hands?

Re: p.s.

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 07:33 (080101)

Maybe you can educate your mom a little...she may have more people coming in with nerve problems related to PF than she is aware of.

Re: 04/20/02-Carmen...I took you up on what you said at dinner with my mom tonight...

Mahatmelissama on 4/21/02 at 00:52 (080532)

I asked and quizzed my mom about tarsel tunnel (she knows more about nerves...tt than pf...) anyway, she can test me for tt if I want...but
it is a weird test (and sounds painful). She zaps the foot and sees how much time transpires between the zap and the movement (if there is a delayed reaction).

I might go for it if all else fails since it would be free.

Re: 04/20/02-Carmen...I took you up on what you said at dinner with my mom tonight...

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 10:06 (080546)

Mahatmelissama,

Sorry to jump in on Carmen's post but what she is talking about is an NCV test, which according to Dr. Ed is very important in diagnosing tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had the test about 6 weeks ago and I do have to warn you that it IS somewhat painful, but I think it's a VERY good idea for you to take your mom up on it! It will prove whether or not the nerves in your feet and calves are working at normal speed. The pain is probably no worse than what you already put up with when your feet are hurting, although it is a quick 'ZAPPING' feeling rather than an ache or painful tingling or burn, and more than one nerve is usually tested.

Did your mom check you for Tinel's Sign? That is where you tap gently along BEHIND the bump on the INSIDE ankle bone. If you feel sudden, shooting pain, or tingling going up your ankle, that means you have a positive Tinel's sign. If you do have a positive Tinel's Sign, you should DEFINITELY take your mom up on her offer!

-- Sharon

Re: TARSAL TUNNEL SYNDROME TEST you can do at home

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 10:15 (080548)

Here's Steve's link for how to do that test for Tinels' Sign, if you're interested:

http://www.efn.org/~opal/paintest.html

By the way, the 'she' I was referring to in the first line of my previous message is your mom, not Carmen... Sorry I can't just edit that, but the e-mail function was disabled and I don't know any other way to do it.

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 10:52 (080557)

By the way, did you mention to your mom that your pod said you might have a 'pinched nerve' in your back or legs? Because a nerve conduction velocity test (the thing she was talking about at dinner) can probably ALSO detect for THAT...

-- Sharon

Carmen on 4/16/02 at 12:07 (079837)

Your mom is a neurologist? You shuld TAP her brain for all she's worth on the feet issue!!!!!!
She doesthe nerve tests we talk about here...EMG NCv etc...
You're lucky to have such a great resource at your fingertips!

Mahatmelissama on 4/17/02 at 11:23 (079982)

I have and she doesn't seem to have much info on feet. Don't get me wrong, my mom is a GREAT neurologist. About PF, she knew like one person who had to dip her feet into a bucket of ice for PF and that seems to be the extent of her knowledge of it (besides a smigin of stuff all doctors get on feet in their training). She has treated a friend of mine for tarsel tunel in her hands and probably could tell me about that in feet...but plantar facitiis ????

I love my mom but I am finding YOU ALL to have more info than my mother. ;)

Carmen on 4/17/02 at 14:30 (080014)

You mean carpal tunnel in her hands?

Re: p.s.

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 07:33 (080101)

Maybe you can educate your mom a little...she may have more people coming in with nerve problems related to PF than she is aware of.

Mahatmelissama on 4/21/02 at 00:52 (080532)

I asked and quizzed my mom about tarsel tunnel (she knows more about nerves...tt than pf...) anyway, she can test me for tt if I want...but
it is a weird test (and sounds painful). She zaps the foot and sees how much time transpires between the zap and the movement (if there is a delayed reaction).

I might go for it if all else fails since it would be free.

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 10:06 (080546)

Mahatmelissama,

Sorry to jump in on Carmen's post but what she is talking about is an NCV test, which according to Dr. Ed is very important in diagnosing tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had the test about 6 weeks ago and I do have to warn you that it IS somewhat painful, but I think it's a VERY good idea for you to take your mom up on it! It will prove whether or not the nerves in your feet and calves are working at normal speed. The pain is probably no worse than what you already put up with when your feet are hurting, although it is a quick 'ZAPPING' feeling rather than an ache or painful tingling or burn, and more than one nerve is usually tested.

Did your mom check you for Tinel's Sign? That is where you tap gently along BEHIND the bump on the INSIDE ankle bone. If you feel sudden, shooting pain, or tingling going up your ankle, that means you have a positive Tinel's sign. If you do have a positive Tinel's Sign, you should DEFINITELY take your mom up on her offer!

-- Sharon

Re: TARSAL TUNNEL SYNDROME TEST you can do at home

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 10:15 (080548)

Here's Steve's link for how to do that test for Tinels' Sign, if you're interested:

http://www.efn.org/~opal/paintest.html

By the way, the 'she' I was referring to in the first line of my previous message is your mom, not Carmen... Sorry I can't just edit that, but the e-mail function was disabled and I don't know any other way to do it.

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 4/21/02 at 10:52 (080557)

By the way, did you mention to your mom that your pod said you might have a 'pinched nerve' in your back or legs? Because a nerve conduction velocity test (the thing she was talking about at dinner) can probably ALSO detect for THAT...

-- Sharon