Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The healing has begun !!

Posted by BrianG on 4/16/02 at 12:43 (079839)

First, thanks to everyone who offered prayers and good wishes. My trip to NJ went fine. I drove from MA, about 6 hours each direction. Yesterday was a very busy day at D. Z's ESWT mobile unit. He had the Dornier tech, Ellen, for the day. Also, he had a couple partners who were sitting in, getting some training.

It was a very positive experience for me. Dr. Z was more than happy to give me a couple good foot blocks. No matter what JohnH may say about the blocks, I am very happy that I whimped out and had them. Actually, Ellen said that most everyone opts for the blocks. They did my left foot first, and it was a piece of cake, no pain. I've had PF in this heel about 3 years. Next they moved to my right heel, and I got a taste of the pain that the Dornier Epos can inflict when used at the FDA approved power. For whatever reason (PF for over 8 years in this heel, plus failed EPF surgery) the nerve block was not as strong as the first side. I can say that it hurt, but it wasn't unbearable. I came close to yelling UNCLE a couple of times, hahaaaaaa

Before I knew it, the treatment was over, and I was heading home. Believe it or not, the hardest part was walking across the street to my vehicle, with numb heels. Once I was in my S-10, I had absolutely no problems driving home. Like I've said, automatic and cruise control is the way to go. I know it would have been a much harder trip with a stick shift.

Today I'm doing fine. Heat and rest. So far my pain level has been normal, which is pretty surprising. I have a little more pain in the right arch, but it's most likely more from the drive, and manipulation to get my foot in the right postion.

Thanks to Dr Z, his staff, Ellen from Dornier, and the attending Pods. I will take it easy, and hopefully the healing will happen. This procedure is so much easer than sugery, it's criminal that the insurance companies are not paying for everyone to be treated with ESWT. Anyone who is a candidate, but denied, should push their insurance to pay. Appeal every denial, it's the only way I know of to get this procedure approved for all.

BrianG

Re: The healing has begun !!

cindy E. on 4/16/02 at 13:30 (079845)

GLAD YOUR DOIN OK. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. I TOO, JUST HAD ESWT DONE 3WEEKS AGO AND HAVE SEEN MARKED IMPROVEMENT. STILL, IF I OVER DO IT, MY FEET ACHE PRETTY BAD. I AGREE ABOUT THE INSURANCE. BLUECHOICE WOULDN'T PAY MINE EITHER EVEN AFTER A 2ND LEVEL GREIVANCE APPEAL. I WAS LUCKY AND GOT IN ON A STUDYPROGRAM FOR COST($1500). IF IT IS A SUCCESS, I'LL GO BACK IN SEPT., AND HAVE THE OTHER FOOT DONE.GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ALL OF US POSTED!!

BrianJ on 4/16/02 at 14:58 (079859)

Hey Brian --

Glad to hear Dr. Z gave you the VIP treatment. We're all rooting for you.

Pauline on 4/16/02 at 15:01 (079860)

Brian,
Sounds like your trip was great, and the treatments went well. I'll keep praying that you experience good results. It's been a long time since you've been without pain, so I hope the Dornier works it's magic on you.
Keep us posted.

JudyS on 4/16/02 at 17:00 (079869)

Brian -thanks so much for the update - I was wondering about you just a bit ago. I hope you keep us regularly posted as you're the first heelspurs.com Dornier recipient!
Did you actually do a 'turn-around' trip? You didn't stay over in New Jersey?

Re: Wonderful Brian, and a big thank you to Dr. Z for his care and compassion for our friends

Tammie on 4/16/02 at 19:07 (079895)

Brian, I am really happy that you got the VIP treatment, you deserve it that is for sure. I am also thankful to the good Dr. Z as it was a wonderful gift he gave you!! I hope the big man upstairs was with you and the Dr. and you (really ) got the special healing gift. It is so wonderful to have fresh hope, I hope to hear that soon really soon you are enjoying walking around in your yard and fishing dawn to dusk and chasing that puppy that you need to get! I really am very happy and keep us up on the healing phase and keep the faith. Prayers for you and for Dr. Z and his ( I hate spelling as I cant to well but going to try) Generousity ! Looking foward to the good words now

dave on 4/17/02 at 09:31 (079966)

Sounds like you are doing well. I am in my third week post eswt. I too went to see doctor Z. I though the whole process and everyone involved was pretty neat. I wish you well. I hope that you are able to get your life back. dave

BrianG on 4/17/02 at 19:04 (080040)

Yes, I did spend the night before my treatment in NJ. I had considered flying, but the airfairs were horrendous. The driving worked out ok, even though it was about 5 1/2 hours too long each direction :*)
Had to go out today for the dentist, and I'm still quite sore, but no worse than any other time that I did something I probably shouldn't have. I'm still amazed that my heels don't hurt more, that Dornier really packs a wallop!!!

Heat, and rest!
BrianG

cindy E. on 4/16/02 at 13:30 (079845)

GLAD YOUR DOIN OK. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL TAKE CARE OF THE PROBLEM. I TOO, JUST HAD ESWT DONE 3WEEKS AGO AND HAVE SEEN MARKED IMPROVEMENT. STILL, IF I OVER DO IT, MY FEET ACHE PRETTY BAD. I AGREE ABOUT THE INSURANCE. BLUECHOICE WOULDN'T PAY MINE EITHER EVEN AFTER A 2ND LEVEL GREIVANCE APPEAL. I WAS LUCKY AND GOT IN ON A STUDYPROGRAM FOR COST($1500). IF IT IS A SUCCESS, I'LL GO BACK IN SEPT., AND HAVE THE OTHER FOOT DONE.GOOD LUCK AND KEEP ALL OF US POSTED!!

BrianJ on 4/16/02 at 14:58 (079859)

Hey Brian --

Glad to hear Dr. Z gave you the VIP treatment. We're all rooting for you.

Pauline on 4/16/02 at 15:01 (079860)

Brian,
Sounds like your trip was great, and the treatments went well. I'll keep praying that you experience good results. It's been a long time since you've been without pain, so I hope the Dornier works it's magic on you.
Keep us posted.

JudyS on 4/16/02 at 17:00 (079869)

Brian -thanks so much for the update - I was wondering about you just a bit ago. I hope you keep us regularly posted as you're the first heelspurs.com Dornier recipient!
Did you actually do a 'turn-around' trip? You didn't stay over in New Jersey?

Re: Wonderful Brian, and a big thank you to Dr. Z for his care and compassion for our friends

Tammie on 4/16/02 at 19:07 (079895)

Brian, I am really happy that you got the VIP treatment, you deserve it that is for sure. I am also thankful to the good Dr. Z as it was a wonderful gift he gave you!! I hope the big man upstairs was with you and the Dr. and you (really ) got the special healing gift. It is so wonderful to have fresh hope, I hope to hear that soon really soon you are enjoying walking around in your yard and fishing dawn to dusk and chasing that puppy that you need to get! I really am very happy and keep us up on the healing phase and keep the faith. Prayers for you and for Dr. Z and his ( I hate spelling as I cant to well but going to try) Generousity ! Looking foward to the good words now

dave on 4/17/02 at 09:31 (079966)

Sounds like you are doing well. I am in my third week post eswt. I too went to see doctor Z. I though the whole process and everyone involved was pretty neat. I wish you well. I hope that you are able to get your life back. dave

BrianG on 4/17/02 at 19:04 (080040)

Yes, I did spend the night before my treatment in NJ. I had considered flying, but the airfairs were horrendous. The driving worked out ok, even though it was about 5 1/2 hours too long each direction :*)
Had to go out today for the dentist, and I'm still quite sore, but no worse than any other time that I did something I probably shouldn't have. I'm still amazed that my heels don't hurt more, that Dornier really packs a wallop!!!

Heat, and rest!
BrianG