Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery on both feet

Posted by Maggie L. on 4/16/02 at 13:11 (079842)

Is it ever possible to have surgery on both feet at once? I have an upcoming appt with my Podiatrist about surgery options, and he has suggested in the past that he would not want to do both at once. I will ask him again about why, but I just wondered if anyone else has thoughts on this. I feel like if I'm going to be laid up post-op I might rather just get it all over with in one go. Bad idea?

Re: Surgery on both feet

kay on 4/16/02 at 21:43 (079925)

bad ideal? picture this. the day you get home from the hospital. you gotta go peepee. ya got someone to help you on and off the toilet several times a day? you are talking every single day for maybe 4 months or so. i've read some really scarey things here and 4 months of being waited on hand and foot(pardon me) is alot to ask of someone. some say they could not put full pressure of standing for 7 months.

kat

Pam B on 4/17/02 at 16:58 (080030)

I can only tell you that no way no how would I do both feet at once.....I just had one done in Feb and I dont think I could handle both at once......maybe I am a whimp but it is not an easy surgery.....it is bad enough hobbling around on one bad limb and I dont think it would be advisable to have both of them hurting like that.....I have heard that it has been done but all I can say is they are tougher than I am :) I may be facing another surgery and I can tell you I am not looking forward to it but I still would not do both feet at once......good luck to you and let us know what you decide or if you find a doc that does it, mine wont......

Nancy M on 4/17/02 at 20:55 (080053)

Maggie, I guess it depends on what kind of surgery you have done. I had both feet done at the same time when I had neuroma's removed. It was done as out patient and had the attractive surgical blue shoes that go with everything. I was able to walk the day of my surgery - didn't walk much, but was able too.

Nancy M in AZ

john h on 4/19/02 at 10:11 (080284)

Both feet at once very bad idea Magee. Make sure no complications with first surgery and it works! If your doc wants to do both at once I would immediately get a second opinion.

trish e on 4/22/02 at 11:46 (080650)

don,t do both feet please concider it before going through it

Maggie L. on 4/22/02 at 14:12 (080674)

Thanks for all the input! I think you're right, two feet at once is not a good plan. I've got my appointment to discuss surgery and get all questions answered this coming Friday. (And no, my Podiatrist had NOT recommended two at once - I was just wondering about it). I'll let you know what happens. As a follow-up to the first question, for those who have gotten surgery on both feet (and this is for Plantar Fasciitis, by the way) how much time did you allow in between? I know it varies person to person and surgery to surgery - just wondering what some others have done. Thanks!

Nancy M on 4/22/02 at 20:17 (080748)

I've also had EPF surgery done on both feet - September 1998 and March 1999.

Nancy M in AZ

kay on 4/16/02 at 21:43 (079925)

bad ideal? picture this. the day you get home from the hospital. you gotta go peepee. ya got someone to help you on and off the toilet several times a day? you are talking every single day for maybe 4 months or so. i've read some really scarey things here and 4 months of being waited on hand and foot(pardon me) is alot to ask of someone. some say they could not put full pressure of standing for 7 months.

kat

Pam B on 4/17/02 at 16:58 (080030)

I can only tell you that no way no how would I do both feet at once.....I just had one done in Feb and I dont think I could handle both at once......maybe I am a whimp but it is not an easy surgery.....it is bad enough hobbling around on one bad limb and I dont think it would be advisable to have both of them hurting like that.....I have heard that it has been done but all I can say is they are tougher than I am :) I may be facing another surgery and I can tell you I am not looking forward to it but I still would not do both feet at once......good luck to you and let us know what you decide or if you find a doc that does it, mine wont......

Nancy M on 4/17/02 at 20:55 (080053)

Maggie, I guess it depends on what kind of surgery you have done. I had both feet done at the same time when I had neuroma's removed. It was done as out patient and had the attractive surgical blue shoes that go with everything. I was able to walk the day of my surgery - didn't walk much, but was able too.

Nancy M in AZ

john h on 4/19/02 at 10:11 (080284)

Both feet at once very bad idea Magee. Make sure no complications with first surgery and it works! If your doc wants to do both at once I would immediately get a second opinion.

trish e on 4/22/02 at 11:46 (080650)

don,t do both feet please concider it before going through it

Maggie L. on 4/22/02 at 14:12 (080674)

Thanks for all the input! I think you're right, two feet at once is not a good plan. I've got my appointment to discuss surgery and get all questions answered this coming Friday. (And no, my Podiatrist had NOT recommended two at once - I was just wondering about it). I'll let you know what happens. As a follow-up to the first question, for those who have gotten surgery on both feet (and this is for Plantar Fasciitis, by the way) how much time did you allow in between? I know it varies person to person and surgery to surgery - just wondering what some others have done. Thanks!

Nancy M on 4/22/02 at 20:17 (080748)

I've also had EPF surgery done on both feet - September 1998 and March 1999.

Nancy M in AZ