Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long

Posted by Linda J on 4/16/02 at 19:40 (079902)

I am a long distance runner. I have a small heel spur. I've been running through the pain. I am down to 4 miles a day, where I usually ran 9-12 miles. I have seen a docter. He taped my foot. He made a cast of my foot for inserts. But I need to run. I can't take it anymore. Who can tell me how long it will be before I get back to my usual routine. Yes, I know all about swimming, etc. I do thta, but I need to run.

Re: How long

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/17/02 at 05:56 (079947)

Linda:

That is the million dollar question. Hardto say. The first question is your run flat, inclines or if inclines are you runngin on the street and if so what side? Orthotics will help, Are you using any type of gel insert for impact? The size of the spur does not realate to the level of pain.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Linda

Carmen on 4/17/02 at 07:39 (079956)

Hate to say this Linda but I would rest now not later. Your need to run is totally understood by many athletes on this board that have not run or done anything in a LONG time because of PF and heelspurs. This just gets worse if you don't treat it right away. if you are still able to run at all with minimal pain I would get off your feet right now and start your treatment...ice, REST, stretching etc...or you could end up not being able to run for a much longer time.
Sounds awful but if you read this board you'll see that those are the facts...good luck!!! take care of your feet.

Guy W on 4/17/02 at 14:59 (080018)

Linda, I am also a long distance runner. I run mountain trails. However, last year, I developed P.F. I continued to run for about 3 months through pain. It got so bad that I almost cried one run. And as you know, runners deal with pain. I finally had to stop. The pain finally went away, so I began training for an upcoming race. All was well for a while, but it started to hurt again. I will not be able to run that race until next year. It has started to heal again, but this time I will give it more time. I have run for over 20 years without any injuries, so this is a very new experience. I do intend to run again. This is not like running through a side stich though. I advise staying off you feet as much as possible. good luck.

Re: How long

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/17/02 at 05:56 (079947)

Linda:

That is the million dollar question. Hardto say. The first question is your run flat, inclines or if inclines are you runngin on the street and if so what side? Orthotics will help, Are you using any type of gel insert for impact? The size of the spur does not realate to the level of pain.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Carmen on 4/17/02 at 07:39 (079956)

Hate to say this Linda but I would rest now not later. Your need to run is totally understood by many athletes on this board that have not run or done anything in a LONG time because of PF and heelspurs. This just gets worse if you don't treat it right away. if you are still able to run at all with minimal pain I would get off your feet right now and start your treatment...ice, REST, stretching etc...or you could end up not being able to run for a much longer time.
Sounds awful but if you read this board you'll see that those are the facts...good luck!!! take care of your feet.

Guy W on 4/17/02 at 14:59 (080018)

Linda, I am also a long distance runner. I run mountain trails. However, last year, I developed P.F. I continued to run for about 3 months through pain. It got so bad that I almost cried one run. And as you know, runners deal with pain. I finally had to stop. The pain finally went away, so I began training for an upcoming race. All was well for a while, but it started to hurt again. I will not be able to run that race until next year. It has started to heal again, but this time I will give it more time. I have run for over 20 years without any injuries, so this is a very new experience. I do intend to run again. This is not like running through a side stich though. I advise staying off you feet as much as possible. good luck.