Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I have had pf since i was in 2nd grade whats out there for me?

Posted by Shannon F. on 4/16/02 at 21:54 (079926)

i have been diagnosed with planters flascitis since i was in the second grade. i am now a freshman in highschool. ever since 2nd grade i have had costom made insouls, about 8 pairs to try different things. 3 months ago i started going to physical therapy and getting ultra sounds. this again didnt work, and i am moving on to my 6 doctor. all thourgh life i have done stretches and worn devices while i sleep to try to fix my pf. the one thing i found feels good that is easy to do is to take a softball and rub it under the arch area of the foot. my next option is surgery, has anyone ever done that? i dont know if i want to do that so early in life as some people have told me it can make it worse and my balance may get worse. i am very active and always running about doing things and sports and i need my balance. i am 5'5'' and i weight 140lbs which is a little under average but is a weight to be a heathly weight for being that height. i dont know what to do next, does anyone have any ideas? if you do will you please email me at (email removed) or write back here it would be very helpful as i have dealt with this my whole life.
thanks shannon

Re: I have had pf since i was in 2nd grade whats out there for me?

BrianG on 4/17/02 at 06:42 (079949)

Hi Shannon,

Have any of the doctors ever told you that you had anything else, in addition to PF? If not, then surgery is not really your next option. You should look into getting ESWT treatments. Most large cities now have one of the two FDA approved machines. They are the OssaTron and the Dornier Epos. If you go to ESWT section of this message board, you can read all about treatment. The search engine is also good.

Since you say you can still run around some, it doesn't sound like you need 'something' right at this moment. ESWT may take you a little while to get approved, as the insurance companies are now just starting to pay. Another help may be to tape the bottoms of your feet, especially if you do any kind of athletics. You can learn how to do it hear, or you can have a Podiatrist show you how. Most of us here, use the 2 strip method, along the bottom of the foot, up to the heel.

Please put off surgery as long as possible. There are just so many problems that can happen, you may actually have more problems after surgery, than before. The heel and foot is full of small nerves and bones. Good luck, what city do you live near? Maybe someone can refer to a treatment center for ESWT.

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 13:37 (080006)

Where do you live-- will see if a know someone in your area.
Ed

Shannon F. on 4/19/02 at 10:28 (080288)

i live near eau claire wisconsin. i have tried to tape the bottoms of my feet also and that doesnt help either. we have done alot of things to try to fix it and we are talking about going to the twin cities or somewhere to get more advice~

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:36 (080364)

Unfortunately I am not familiar with anyone in that area. One option is http://www.acfas.org
Best of luck.
Ed

Re: Your lucky, you have an OssaTron nearby

BrianG on 4/21/02 at 21:24 (080608)

Hi Shannon,

I did a little research for you. There is an ESWT machine in Wisconsin, it's an OssaTron. This is the 1st ESWT machine approved by the FDA in the US for treating PF. Check out this web site: http://www.aurorahealthcare.org
You are looking for either Todd Goodman, or Frank LaVora, DPM's, at (414) 281-1688. I think this is a couple hundred miles to the east of you, but thats not a very long dstance when we're talking about ESWT. I just drove for 6 hours to get my treatment. I hope this helps you out, if you need more help, let me know. Insurance may not want to pay. If not, appeal!!! Time to take your life back! Good luck

BrianG

Re: how long would i be off of my feet?

Shannon F. on 4/22/02 at 15:56 (080687)

thanks for the help. i am only a freshman in highschool and i am a very active person. i have been told that with both the eswt and the surgery i may have to be off of my feet for quite a while. is that true or not? i think that i would rather just live with the pain for a little bit instead of doing that becasue it would interfere with all of my sports and clubs both with school and not with school.
shannon~

Re: Please, at least check out the ESWT !

BrianG on 4/22/02 at 21:49 (080754)

Hi Shannon,

I can give you a lttle help here, but you should really be getting it from a professional, not a patient. If you have surgery, which I hope you don't, you could be off you feet for a couple months, maybe more. You are lucky that your young, you will probably heal quicker.

If you have the ESWT, you can go back to normal things like walking, riding in cars, etc, right away. It would defeat the purpose of the treatment if you contiinued with your athletics. After the ESWT treatment, I would think you should take a break of at least six months, but your young, and it could be less.

I'd like to ask you to think about giving up your sports for the short time, rather than play, and continue to injure your heels. The longer you play sports right now, the harder it will be to heal correctly later. If it was me, I'd give up a little now, so that you can be that super star when your a junior and a senior. If you continue to play, and get worse, your latter years in high school could be a disaster.

This is why you need to talk to your folks, and see a competant podiatrist, especially about the ESWT. If they talk surgery, find someone else quick! Why not get your parents involved here at Heelspurs.com These decisions that your faced with, will definetly have to include them. It is not likely that the PF is going away at ths point.

ESWT is fairly new in the US, we are all very fortunate to be in on the ground floor, although there are many of us that cannot afford it yet. You at least owe it to your self to check it out now, you'll thank me later (I hope :*)

BrianG

PS Ask your parents to at least call the doctors I found for you. It can't hurt, and you'll find out a lot more about the treatment. Then you can put it off, if you still want to.

john h on 4/23/02 at 09:54 (080797)

Shannon: At your young age I just do not see anyway you should have PF surgery until you have exhausted every possible remedy including ESWT. When one is young, as I remember being impatient was the rule of the day. Try anything and everything and above all give this problem 'time' before going the surgery route.

BrianG on 4/17/02 at 06:42 (079949)

Hi Shannon,

Have any of the doctors ever told you that you had anything else, in addition to PF? If not, then surgery is not really your next option. You should look into getting ESWT treatments. Most large cities now have one of the two FDA approved machines. They are the OssaTron and the Dornier Epos. If you go to ESWT section of this message board, you can read all about treatment. The search engine is also good.

Since you say you can still run around some, it doesn't sound like you need 'something' right at this moment. ESWT may take you a little while to get approved, as the insurance companies are now just starting to pay. Another help may be to tape the bottoms of your feet, especially if you do any kind of athletics. You can learn how to do it hear, or you can have a Podiatrist show you how. Most of us here, use the 2 strip method, along the bottom of the foot, up to the heel.

Please put off surgery as long as possible. There are just so many problems that can happen, you may actually have more problems after surgery, than before. The heel and foot is full of small nerves and bones. Good luck, what city do you live near? Maybe someone can refer to a treatment center for ESWT.

BrianG

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 13:37 (080006)

Where do you live-- will see if a know someone in your area.
Ed

Shannon F. on 4/19/02 at 10:28 (080288)

i live near eau claire wisconsin. i have tried to tape the bottoms of my feet also and that doesnt help either. we have done alot of things to try to fix it and we are talking about going to the twin cities or somewhere to get more advice~

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/19/02 at 18:36 (080364)

Unfortunately I am not familiar with anyone in that area. One option is http://www.acfas.org
Best of luck.
Ed

Re: Your lucky, you have an OssaTron nearby

BrianG on 4/21/02 at 21:24 (080608)

Hi Shannon,

I did a little research for you. There is an ESWT machine in Wisconsin, it's an OssaTron. This is the 1st ESWT machine approved by the FDA in the US for treating PF. Check out this web site: http://www.aurorahealthcare.org
You are looking for either Todd Goodman, or Frank LaVora, DPM's, at (414) 281-1688. I think this is a couple hundred miles to the east of you, but thats not a very long dstance when we're talking about ESWT. I just drove for 6 hours to get my treatment. I hope this helps you out, if you need more help, let me know. Insurance may not want to pay. If not, appeal!!! Time to take your life back! Good luck

BrianG

Shannon F. on 4/22/02 at 15:56 (080687)

thanks for the help. i am only a freshman in highschool and i am a very active person. i have been told that with both the eswt and the surgery i may have to be off of my feet for quite a while. is that true or not? i think that i would rather just live with the pain for a little bit instead of doing that becasue it would interfere with all of my sports and clubs both with school and not with school.
shannon~

Re: Please, at least check out the ESWT !

BrianG on 4/22/02 at 21:49 (080754)

Hi Shannon,

I can give you a lttle help here, but you should really be getting it from a professional, not a patient. If you have surgery, which I hope you don't, you could be off you feet for a couple months, maybe more. You are lucky that your young, you will probably heal quicker.

If you have the ESWT, you can go back to normal things like walking, riding in cars, etc, right away. It would defeat the purpose of the treatment if you contiinued with your athletics. After the ESWT treatment, I would think you should take a break of at least six months, but your young, and it could be less.

I'd like to ask you to think about giving up your sports for the short time, rather than play, and continue to injure your heels. The longer you play sports right now, the harder it will be to heal correctly later. If it was me, I'd give up a little now, so that you can be that super star when your a junior and a senior. If you continue to play, and get worse, your latter years in high school could be a disaster.

This is why you need to talk to your folks, and see a competant podiatrist, especially about the ESWT. If they talk surgery, find someone else quick! Why not get your parents involved here at Heelspurs.com These decisions that your faced with, will definetly have to include them. It is not likely that the PF is going away at ths point.

ESWT is fairly new in the US, we are all very fortunate to be in on the ground floor, although there are many of us that cannot afford it yet. You at least owe it to your self to check it out now, you'll thank me later (I hope :*)

BrianG

PS Ask your parents to at least call the doctors I found for you. It can't hurt, and you'll find out a lot more about the treatment. Then you can put it off, if you still want to.

john h on 4/23/02 at 09:54 (080797)

Shannon: At your young age I just do not see anyway you should have PF surgery until you have exhausted every possible remedy including ESWT. When one is young, as I remember being impatient was the rule of the day. Try anything and everything and above all give this problem 'time' before going the surgery route.