Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Diane O.

Posted by Carmen on 4/17/02 at 07:31 (079952)

I know we must seem discouraging to you....new to all of this message board stuff and here we are saying 'NOOOO don't work! SLOW down!!!!'
What we're trying to 'gently' tell you is this Diane....PF can make life hard....but if you don't take it easy now while there is a chance to heal quickly it can get worse....Doesn't mean it won't go away and we aren't saying 'stop' your job...don't get worried it will never heal or go on for years and years...take it one day at a time but read all you can and be smart about the time you spend on your feet. You'll get better...if you wear the right shoes or try orthotics once you are healed it may never come back no matter your profession. so just be careful right NOW when it's critical and you'll be fine!

Re: Diane O.

Diane O. on 4/17/02 at 10:14 (079973)

Thanks for your advise Carmen
I have good days and not so good days. Reading all the messages people have posted makes me feel that I really have nothing to complain about because I have not had PF for that long compared to others but at the same time is kind of scary knowing that it could be a life-long battle. I do take things one day at a time and I find it hard not to be comsumed by this. I went back to work again yesterday for a 4 hour shift and was not quite as painful as the previous shift but by the end was limping and just wanted to go home and put the feet up. I also put my back out, I think when your gait is off from limping or trying to compensate for the pain such as attempting to walk on the side of your foot it is like a domino affect. Your knees, hips and back all suffer. Honest to goodness I feel like a train wreck most of the times. I feel like Im so young and have a body or aches and pains of an 80 year old. What is going to happen when Im 60. I an going to give it a couple more shifts and see where I am at. I have a meeting scheduled in a week with the Oc.health nurse and maybe have to modify my duties even more. I guess the bottom line is that I have to be my own advocate and not be the tough guy.

Carmen on 4/17/02 at 10:56 (079976)

You're right Diane...you hit the nail on the head. nobody is tough when it comes to PF.
Yes...hips and back and feet...all of it can cause trouble for the other. I suffer with those things too....I'm only 31. How old are you?

Suzanne D on 4/17/02 at 16:36 (080026)

Dear Diane,

I can empathize with you on many things:

~It IS easy to get consumed by foot pain; it is just so hard to forget when every step HURTS!

~It is hard to love a job and then wonder if you will be able to continue. (I teach first grade; you just can't do a good job of that sitting down.)

~There does seem to be a dominoe effect when you walk differently to try to ease the pain. The knees, the hips, etc. all are affected.

~There are good days, and there are not so good days.

~And this site is wonderful!

It sounds like from reading your posts that you are trying many things. Did you mention what shoes you are wearing or orthotics? I may have missed that. Shoes make such a difference - especially when you are working.

I have found a frustrating fact which I had read that others experienced: the shoes that seemed to work so well at first (Birks) now do not feel as good. I am presently wearing SAS walking shoes with a Birkenstock insert, and I am thankful to say that I have less pain than I have had in the 10 months since my PF began. I sometimes wonder how long this will last, but try to take one day at a time and keep stretching and wearing this combination for now.

I wish you the best in your healing. Everyone is right in the fact that what you do at the beginning of PF really will make a difference in your long-term healing.

Keep smiling! :-)
Suzanne

Diane O. on 4/18/02 at 11:21 (080130)

Dear Carmen
Sorry I did not get back to you right away. I will be 43 in a couple of months, married, have 2 kids that are both grown up (started young). My daughter lives on the west coast and working and my son still lives at home and I have to say that he has been a big help. Husband is also supportive and keeps me laughing, although I still cant convince him to massage my feet. LOL
Diane O.
ps: not sure if I am supposed to respong to your question but slipping it in between another post

Diane O. on 4/18/02 at 11:37 (080132)

Hi Suzanne
I have been wearing birk like sandals but have been shopping for the real mccoy for the past couple of days. The web site for birks have terrific prices so I think I will take the plunge and order over the net. For work I wear Etonics with orthotics. I have had my orthotics since Dec. and they still kill my feet. I had them adjusted and have another appt. tomorrow for a possible adjustment. Time will tell I guess. I have tried wearing them without the orthotics and just the regular insole but no luck. I find more relief with my sandals and now have special permission to wear them at work until I purchase closed toe and heel shoes. I read on another post (Humour) how do you know you have PF..By the amount of money you spend on shoes LOL Something like that anyway. I went on a trip last fall to Alaska and British Columbia and must have hit hundreds of shoe stores to find the perfect show. Needless to say I came home with a few extra pairs than when I departed. I have 4 pairs of Rockports that feel absolutely wonderful on until I walk 50 yards then my feet are screaming.
One day we will find the perfect shoe........but until then, still searching
Diane O.

Re: New Orthotics ?

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 15:15 (080162)

Hi Diane,

I hate to even mention this, but you may want to take another look at your orthotics. If your still in pain since Dec, you may want to look for another pair. I myself have two pairs that I cannot wear. They are too hard, and kill my feet. I finally went to a semi rigid style, an they have been much better. I'm not healed, but the orthotics no longer hurt my feet. The type I'm now using is called Sporthotics, by Langer Biomechanics Group. They were $375 and not covered by insurance :*(

BrianG

john h on 4/19/02 at 10:14 (080286)

Brian: My first pair of orthotics were Langer Sportsthotics, very rigid type. Only mine cost $400 so they were obviously of superior quality. My feet still hurt however.

BrianG on 4/19/02 at 11:16 (080300)

So they were your first pair, eh! Was this before the Korean war, or after :*)
Now you have me wondering if the have different types of rigidity? Mine are definatly not that rigid. My 1st two pairs of ice scrapers, in the bag I never open, now those are rigid!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:28 (080327)

You know, I don't recall anybody here except Richard C.Ped who has said that they had ice scrapers that were wonderful and really helped their feet. Does anybody at all have good rigid orthotics that they absolutely love and wear all the time right now?

Carole C

SuzanneK on 4/19/02 at 20:47 (080393)

I have great rigid orthotics. They were prescribed after I got tendonitis in the top right quadrant of my right foot. Cured it completely (after trying cortisone shots and a cam walker.) Got pf in that foot later - so orthotics didn't keep that from happening! Had surgery in June of 2000 - very successful surgery, I might add, although I'd do ESWT instead, knowing what I do now. But ESWT wasn't practical for me then, and I was in misery! We adjusted the orthotics, and they've been great. Wear them every day, when I'm not wearing my Birks. I do pull out the Birk footbed from my Footprints collection shoes and wear the orthotic instead. My feet ache a little - that particular footbed is not as supportive as the classic footbed. I am a third grade teacher and spend most of my day on my feet. My doctor is still not sure what caused the pf. Me either, although I suspect taking the carpet out of my classroom and replacing it with tile is a huge contributor. I'm in another room now that still has carpet. Even that thin little cushion (commercial grade glued to a cement slab, no pad) helps.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 22:26 (080406)

Thanks, Suzanne. It's encouraging to hear that rigid orthotics can work out well for some of us. The reason I asked is that I am thinking of getting some eventually.

Carole C

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:05 (080502)

Langer makes a lot of different orthotics Brian and mine were definitely of the ice scraper variety and were called the Sportsthotic. My Pod still sells them and are his first line of attack. I am currently wearing semi rigid Footmax which are computer generated in the U.S. and manufactured in Canada (good for your economy Wendy). For a year I wore custom soft orthotics which were really not bad. sort of wish i had not deep sixed them. I heard a rumor they have a tape of you yelling while at Dr. Z's during your treatment.

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:16 (080506)

As much as I dislike rigid orthotics there are apparently more of those sold and prescribed than any other kind so many people must be getting relief from them.

BrianG on 4/21/02 at 11:51 (080560)

I hate it when people use a tape recorder without telling you!! Actually, it couldn't have been me, because I was clenchng my teeth too hard. No words came out, just a long grrrrrr!!!!!! If I didn't get the full brunt of those shockwaves, I'd like to meet the person who did! All I can say, is the Dornier is certainly no toy, it puts out a mean shock :*) I just thank god the left (first) heel was painless. Do you think Dr Z missed the mark, with the Lidocaine, just to see what I was made of? Hahahahaaa

No pain, no gain!
BrianG

Diane O. on 4/17/02 at 10:14 (079973)

Thanks for your advise Carmen
I have good days and not so good days. Reading all the messages people have posted makes me feel that I really have nothing to complain about because I have not had PF for that long compared to others but at the same time is kind of scary knowing that it could be a life-long battle. I do take things one day at a time and I find it hard not to be comsumed by this. I went back to work again yesterday for a 4 hour shift and was not quite as painful as the previous shift but by the end was limping and just wanted to go home and put the feet up. I also put my back out, I think when your gait is off from limping or trying to compensate for the pain such as attempting to walk on the side of your foot it is like a domino affect. Your knees, hips and back all suffer. Honest to goodness I feel like a train wreck most of the times. I feel like Im so young and have a body or aches and pains of an 80 year old. What is going to happen when Im 60. I an going to give it a couple more shifts and see where I am at. I have a meeting scheduled in a week with the Oc.health nurse and maybe have to modify my duties even more. I guess the bottom line is that I have to be my own advocate and not be the tough guy.

Carmen on 4/17/02 at 10:56 (079976)

You're right Diane...you hit the nail on the head. nobody is tough when it comes to PF.
Yes...hips and back and feet...all of it can cause trouble for the other. I suffer with those things too....I'm only 31. How old are you?

Suzanne D on 4/17/02 at 16:36 (080026)

Dear Diane,

I can empathize with you on many things:

~It IS easy to get consumed by foot pain; it is just so hard to forget when every step HURTS!

~It is hard to love a job and then wonder if you will be able to continue. (I teach first grade; you just can't do a good job of that sitting down.)

~There does seem to be a dominoe effect when you walk differently to try to ease the pain. The knees, the hips, etc. all are affected.

~There are good days, and there are not so good days.

~And this site is wonderful!

It sounds like from reading your posts that you are trying many things. Did you mention what shoes you are wearing or orthotics? I may have missed that. Shoes make such a difference - especially when you are working.

I have found a frustrating fact which I had read that others experienced: the shoes that seemed to work so well at first (Birks) now do not feel as good. I am presently wearing SAS walking shoes with a Birkenstock insert, and I am thankful to say that I have less pain than I have had in the 10 months since my PF began. I sometimes wonder how long this will last, but try to take one day at a time and keep stretching and wearing this combination for now.

I wish you the best in your healing. Everyone is right in the fact that what you do at the beginning of PF really will make a difference in your long-term healing.

Keep smiling! :-)
Suzanne

Diane O. on 4/18/02 at 11:21 (080130)

Dear Carmen
Sorry I did not get back to you right away. I will be 43 in a couple of months, married, have 2 kids that are both grown up (started young). My daughter lives on the west coast and working and my son still lives at home and I have to say that he has been a big help. Husband is also supportive and keeps me laughing, although I still cant convince him to massage my feet. LOL
Diane O.
ps: not sure if I am supposed to respong to your question but slipping it in between another post

Diane O. on 4/18/02 at 11:37 (080132)

Hi Suzanne
I have been wearing birk like sandals but have been shopping for the real mccoy for the past couple of days. The web site for birks have terrific prices so I think I will take the plunge and order over the net. For work I wear Etonics with orthotics. I have had my orthotics since Dec. and they still kill my feet. I had them adjusted and have another appt. tomorrow for a possible adjustment. Time will tell I guess. I have tried wearing them without the orthotics and just the regular insole but no luck. I find more relief with my sandals and now have special permission to wear them at work until I purchase closed toe and heel shoes. I read on another post (Humour) how do you know you have PF..By the amount of money you spend on shoes LOL Something like that anyway. I went on a trip last fall to Alaska and British Columbia and must have hit hundreds of shoe stores to find the perfect show. Needless to say I came home with a few extra pairs than when I departed. I have 4 pairs of Rockports that feel absolutely wonderful on until I walk 50 yards then my feet are screaming.
One day we will find the perfect shoe........but until then, still searching
Diane O.

BrianG on 4/18/02 at 15:15 (080162)

Hi Diane,

I hate to even mention this, but you may want to take another look at your orthotics. If your still in pain since Dec, you may want to look for another pair. I myself have two pairs that I cannot wear. They are too hard, and kill my feet. I finally went to a semi rigid style, an they have been much better. I'm not healed, but the orthotics no longer hurt my feet. The type I'm now using is called Sporthotics, by Langer Biomechanics Group. They were $375 and not covered by insurance :*(

BrianG

john h on 4/19/02 at 10:14 (080286)

Brian: My first pair of orthotics were Langer Sportsthotics, very rigid type. Only mine cost $400 so they were obviously of superior quality. My feet still hurt however.

BrianG on 4/19/02 at 11:16 (080300)

So they were your first pair, eh! Was this before the Korean war, or after :*)
Now you have me wondering if the have different types of rigidity? Mine are definatly not that rigid. My 1st two pairs of ice scrapers, in the bag I never open, now those are rigid!!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 14:28 (080327)

You know, I don't recall anybody here except Richard C.Ped who has said that they had ice scrapers that were wonderful and really helped their feet. Does anybody at all have good rigid orthotics that they absolutely love and wear all the time right now?

Carole C

SuzanneK on 4/19/02 at 20:47 (080393)

I have great rigid orthotics. They were prescribed after I got tendonitis in the top right quadrant of my right foot. Cured it completely (after trying cortisone shots and a cam walker.) Got pf in that foot later - so orthotics didn't keep that from happening! Had surgery in June of 2000 - very successful surgery, I might add, although I'd do ESWT instead, knowing what I do now. But ESWT wasn't practical for me then, and I was in misery! We adjusted the orthotics, and they've been great. Wear them every day, when I'm not wearing my Birks. I do pull out the Birk footbed from my Footprints collection shoes and wear the orthotic instead. My feet ache a little - that particular footbed is not as supportive as the classic footbed. I am a third grade teacher and spend most of my day on my feet. My doctor is still not sure what caused the pf. Me either, although I suspect taking the carpet out of my classroom and replacing it with tile is a huge contributor. I'm in another room now that still has carpet. Even that thin little cushion (commercial grade glued to a cement slab, no pad) helps.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/19/02 at 22:26 (080406)

Thanks, Suzanne. It's encouraging to hear that rigid orthotics can work out well for some of us. The reason I asked is that I am thinking of getting some eventually.

Carole C

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:05 (080502)

Langer makes a lot of different orthotics Brian and mine were definitely of the ice scraper variety and were called the Sportsthotic. My Pod still sells them and are his first line of attack. I am currently wearing semi rigid Footmax which are computer generated in the U.S. and manufactured in Canada (good for your economy Wendy). For a year I wore custom soft orthotics which were really not bad. sort of wish i had not deep sixed them. I heard a rumor they have a tape of you yelling while at Dr. Z's during your treatment.

John h on 4/20/02 at 20:16 (080506)

As much as I dislike rigid orthotics there are apparently more of those sold and prescribed than any other kind so many people must be getting relief from them.

BrianG on 4/21/02 at 11:51 (080560)

I hate it when people use a tape recorder without telling you!! Actually, it couldn't have been me, because I was clenchng my teeth too hard. No words came out, just a long grrrrrr!!!!!! If I didn't get the full brunt of those shockwaves, I'd like to meet the person who did! All I can say, is the Dornier is certainly no toy, it puts out a mean shock :*) I just thank god the left (first) heel was painless. Do you think Dr Z missed the mark, with the Lidocaine, just to see what I was made of? Hahahahaaa

No pain, no gain!
BrianG