Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

As I'm making progress, I wonder.....

Posted by Kathy G on 4/17/02 at 09:48 (079971)

do most of you ice even if your feet aren't that bad? As the pain has decreased, so has my icing! If it's bad, I drag out my bag of peas. I do have Raynauds Syndrome and icing can be very painful for me but I do it anyhow because of the benefits.

I have made some real progress and I'm so optimistic. I find that when I overdo it, and that is more often than it should be, it takes less time for my feet to recover. I'm not painfree but I don't expect that will ever happen.

If I compare my activities to a year ago, or even 6 months ago, I can do so much more. And it's strange how these small triumphs can make me so happy. Things I used to take for granted that I can do and make me feel like I've run a marathon! Like, I was thrilled because I was able to wash my bedroom windows and curtains and iron them and put them up the same day. And then I ironed my summer quilt and bedskirt and put that on, too. And that night, my feet were terrible but the next day, they weren't intolerable as I had expected. And by the third day, I was back to 'my' normal. I think I'm at the point where I have to be very careful not to really over-extend myself and end up back where I started. But right now, it's great to be able to do more and suffer for a shorter time.

My eventual goal is to get back to exercising but I believe that is down the line quite a distance. I still can't walk for any extended period of time without a lot of discomfort. I used the bike and screwed up my back for a couple of months so I am hesitant to try it again. But I'm very grateful that my prayers and self-discipline have finally begun to pay off!

And once again, I am ever so grateful to these boards for helping me in my recovery and in keeping my sanity in the process!

Re: how often I ice

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 13:16 (080000)

I am mostly recovered from PF, with a pain level of less than 1 most days. I may be a little more recovered than you are. I'm just beginning to exercise again and I can walk for several hours at a time but not every day.

I ice a LOT when I've done something to injure my foot or just overdid it. Most regular days I don't get around to icing. But, if I'm feeling especially conscientious I might ice on a regular day anyway. I have found (much to my surprise) that icing seems to help on those days too. It helps the very mild, deep aching that I'm not always thinking about.

So, I ice on maybe 1/4 of the days when I haven't done anything dumb, and 100% of the days when I have.

If I had a lot of unusual pain when I ice, like you do, I probably wouldn't ice that much though.

Carole C

Re: As I'm making progress, I wonder.....

Sharon W on 4/17/02 at 15:37 (080021)

Kathy,

With Reynauld's I can certainly imagine why you would not want to ice any more than necessary! What a terrible double-whammy!

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 4/17/02 at 16:45 (080027)

Dear Kathy,

Your gratitude is nice to 'hear' as I read your post, and your positive attitude will help you! You are right: we take so much for granted, and after not being able to walk without intense pain, it is so nice just to be able to resume some everyday things!

To answer your question, I don't ice a lot now, either. If my feet start feeling worse, say at the end of a day, I will ice, but I don't do it on a routine basis at this point.

I liked your statement:
'I am ever so grateful to these boards for helping me in my recovery and in keeping my sanity in the process!' That's true for me, too!

Glad to hear that you are still improving, Kathy!

Suzanne :-)

Rich on 4/18/02 at 07:39 (080107)

I think it's natural too feel that you don't need to do anything when you're not hurting. I also tend to slack off on the icing and even my anti-inflamatories when my pain is not 'major'. I find that after any type of exercise, like your wash/iron day, an icing is beneficial. It's even better if you can get someone to do it for you. Massage painful area with an ice cup about ten minutes then gentle stretching.

Keep your goal in mind and take it slow. Unfortunately our recovery is very slow and a setback is my greatest worry. Self-discipline...now that's a struggle! LOL

Don't lose your faith in your prayers....remember His timing isn't the same as ours! And the answers sometimes come in unexpected ways.

Rich
<><

Re: how often I ice

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 13:16 (080000)

I am mostly recovered from PF, with a pain level of less than 1 most days. I may be a little more recovered than you are. I'm just beginning to exercise again and I can walk for several hours at a time but not every day.

I ice a LOT when I've done something to injure my foot or just overdid it. Most regular days I don't get around to icing. But, if I'm feeling especially conscientious I might ice on a regular day anyway. I have found (much to my surprise) that icing seems to help on those days too. It helps the very mild, deep aching that I'm not always thinking about.

So, I ice on maybe 1/4 of the days when I haven't done anything dumb, and 100% of the days when I have.

If I had a lot of unusual pain when I ice, like you do, I probably wouldn't ice that much though.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/17/02 at 15:37 (080021)

Kathy,

With Reynauld's I can certainly imagine why you would not want to ice any more than necessary! What a terrible double-whammy!

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 4/17/02 at 16:45 (080027)

Dear Kathy,

Your gratitude is nice to 'hear' as I read your post, and your positive attitude will help you! You are right: we take so much for granted, and after not being able to walk without intense pain, it is so nice just to be able to resume some everyday things!

To answer your question, I don't ice a lot now, either. If my feet start feeling worse, say at the end of a day, I will ice, but I don't do it on a routine basis at this point.

I liked your statement:
'I am ever so grateful to these boards for helping me in my recovery and in keeping my sanity in the process!' That's true for me, too!

Glad to hear that you are still improving, Kathy!

Suzanne :-)

Rich on 4/18/02 at 07:39 (080107)

I think it's natural too feel that you don't need to do anything when you're not hurting. I also tend to slack off on the icing and even my anti-inflamatories when my pain is not 'major'. I find that after any type of exercise, like your wash/iron day, an icing is beneficial. It's even better if you can get someone to do it for you. Massage painful area with an ice cup about ten minutes then gentle stretching.

Keep your goal in mind and take it slow. Unfortunately our recovery is very slow and a setback is my greatest worry. Self-discipline...now that's a struggle! LOL

Don't lose your faith in your prayers....remember His timing isn't the same as ours! And the answers sometimes come in unexpected ways.

Rich
<><