Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Faciitis

Posted by Connie J on 4/17/02 at 10:10 (079972)

My 15 year old daughter, who is a sprinter, had severe plantar faciitis. She had surgery done on her left foot last August and it healed quite nicely. On February 19th she had her right foot done, which was not as bad as her left foot. The left tendon had actually torn during a race last year. However, her right foot is still giving her problems. She has not been able to run at all this year. She has had the surgery, ultrasound treatments, cortisone shots, used crutches, etc. She goes back to her doctor this Thursday (4-18). He talked about putting her in a cast for 6 weeks to let the foot rest up to heal. Will this work. It has been one year since this all started. She has not been able to do much of anything for the last year. I feel so bad for her. I would just like them to do whatever it takes to fix it rather than try a bunch of different stuff. Will the cast really work or is there something else that can be done that will be a sure thing?

Thank you.

Re: Plantar Faciitis

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 12:32 (079993)

Please read Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to understand the full course of treatment for PF. Surgery for PF in a 15 year old is highly unusual.

Since surgery has already been performed, a cast is a reasonable approach for now. I would be curious if she has biomechanical factors, still uncorrected, that have led to the problem.
Ed

Connie J on 4/19/02 at 10:18 (080287)

For Dr. Ed Davis - In reply to your response. What are biomechanical factors? How are they detected/treated. It is very important for us and Sarah-Beth to get her well. She is a sprinter and is quite good. We are hoping for a scholarship for her. She has never been beaten and as a 14 year old was running faster than most high school students. She has had to sit this track season out, but we are hoping to have her return for next year. Will the surgeries affect her speed?

Thank you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 08:31 (080425)

Hi Connie
I saw your posting and was wondering what type of surgery was performed? Casting may help rest it but she will have to begin to stretch again. This is highly unusual that a fifeteen year old female would require surgery. Was an MRI performed showing a tear? In regards to her right foot what problems is she having? Shoting pain, achy pain, pain on the outside of her foot?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Connie J on 4/23/02 at 08:37 (080781)

They did a lengthening of the tendon. The left foot was done in August and the right on February 19th. She complains of muscle spasms in the arch and pain in the arch on the outside of her foot. They did all the conservative treatment, therapy, cortisone shots, crutches, none of which helped. They determined it tore at a track meet. She had been having trouble for several weeks and she continued to run. They indicated the damage would do the same thing surgery would do. She went down at our conference meet and that is when they determined the tendon tore. Her foot turned black and blue and she was unable to walk. She rested for several months after that taking basketball camps off and then they decided it was not going to get better and did the first surgery. That foot is now doing fine. When the right foot started to do the same thing during basketball season they decided that it would be the same as the left and decided to not mess with it and did surgery. I think the problem may be that her doctor told her she could start running after three weeks. I think this was too soon and she has had problems ever since. Our big question is, will this affect her speed? She was quite fast. She has never lost a race, in fact no one was ever close to her. She was setting records before she had problems with her feet. Thank you very much for any input you can give us.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/17/02 at 12:32 (079993)

Please read Scott's Heel Pain Book in order to understand the full course of treatment for PF. Surgery for PF in a 15 year old is highly unusual.

Since surgery has already been performed, a cast is a reasonable approach for now. I would be curious if she has biomechanical factors, still uncorrected, that have led to the problem.
Ed

Connie J on 4/19/02 at 10:18 (080287)

For Dr. Ed Davis - In reply to your response. What are biomechanical factors? How are they detected/treated. It is very important for us and Sarah-Beth to get her well. She is a sprinter and is quite good. We are hoping for a scholarship for her. She has never been beaten and as a 14 year old was running faster than most high school students. She has had to sit this track season out, but we are hoping to have her return for next year. Will the surgeries affect her speed?

Thank you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 4/20/02 at 08:31 (080425)

Hi Connie
I saw your posting and was wondering what type of surgery was performed? Casting may help rest it but she will have to begin to stretch again. This is highly unusual that a fifeteen year old female would require surgery. Was an MRI performed showing a tear? In regards to her right foot what problems is she having? Shoting pain, achy pain, pain on the outside of her foot?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Connie J on 4/23/02 at 08:37 (080781)

They did a lengthening of the tendon. The left foot was done in August and the right on February 19th. She complains of muscle spasms in the arch and pain in the arch on the outside of her foot. They did all the conservative treatment, therapy, cortisone shots, crutches, none of which helped. They determined it tore at a track meet. She had been having trouble for several weeks and she continued to run. They indicated the damage would do the same thing surgery would do. She went down at our conference meet and that is when they determined the tendon tore. Her foot turned black and blue and she was unable to walk. She rested for several months after that taking basketball camps off and then they decided it was not going to get better and did the first surgery. That foot is now doing fine. When the right foot started to do the same thing during basketball season they decided that it would be the same as the left and decided to not mess with it and did surgery. I think the problem may be that her doctor told her she could start running after three weeks. I think this was too soon and she has had problems ever since. Our big question is, will this affect her speed? She was quite fast. She has never lost a race, in fact no one was ever close to her. She was setting records before she had problems with her feet. Thank you very much for any input you can give us.