Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I may have PF, not sure

Posted by Anne H on 4/17/02 at 11:39 (079983)

I notice that when I get up after sitting or sleeping it hurts somewhat on my right foot. Sometimes it hurts to the right (outside) of the heel but mostly it is toward the right toe and underneath and side of the outside of the right foot. When ipress in at the outside on the upper right of my foot it seems sore too. I am hoping I do not have PF. I could use a good pair of walking shoes so perhaps i should toss out the ones I have an buy an expensive pair, there is a walking shoe outlet nearby that carries New Balance sneakers. I walk a couple of miles daily on paved road and in the cooler weather hike in local parkland several times a week. I am praying i do not have a serious problem :)

Re: I may have PF, not sure

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 13:07 (079999)

Anne, my suggestion would be to see your doctor and get a diagnosis so that you know what you are dealing with. It sounds like it might be PF, but like you I am not sure.

If it is PF, the earlier you begin conservative treatment (as described in the heel pain book on this site, and elsewhere) the better because it will greatly speed up the healing time if you start treating it early. If you let it go until it demands treatment, it can take a long time to heal.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 07:32 (080099)

Carole is right on the money...get to a Podiatrist asap. Until you get there, stop walking, get some good shoes and don't go barefoot, rest and ice too.
Don't just think this is going to 'go away' though it would be great if it would,
Keep us posted.

Re: I may have PF, not sure-went to podiatrist

Anne H on 4/19/02 at 20:54 (080398)

Well went to podiatrist and still not sure =:0 I explained my symptoms esp the joint in front under the little piggy that had a burning pain in it last night. I could not really say I have had heel pain, only the spasms a couple of nights on the outside of the right heel. Anyway, she did not think I have PF but told me to keep an eye out for heel pain as she could not rule it out but the other symptoms involve a whole different area and nerves. Btw I should send her a bill because we ended up talking about homeopathy/herbs etc and she wanted information ;) Tomorrow going to VA to a Birkenstock speciality store to buy a pair. thanks for the link to the overseas store, when I know my size for sure i will order from there in future.

Carole C in NOLA on 4/17/02 at 13:07 (079999)

Anne, my suggestion would be to see your doctor and get a diagnosis so that you know what you are dealing with. It sounds like it might be PF, but like you I am not sure.

If it is PF, the earlier you begin conservative treatment (as described in the heel pain book on this site, and elsewhere) the better because it will greatly speed up the healing time if you start treating it early. If you let it go until it demands treatment, it can take a long time to heal.

Carole C

Carmen on 4/18/02 at 07:32 (080099)

Carole is right on the money...get to a Podiatrist asap. Until you get there, stop walking, get some good shoes and don't go barefoot, rest and ice too.
Don't just think this is going to 'go away' though it would be great if it would,
Keep us posted.

Re: I may have PF, not sure-went to podiatrist

Anne H on 4/19/02 at 20:54 (080398)

Well went to podiatrist and still not sure =:0 I explained my symptoms esp the joint in front under the little piggy that had a burning pain in it last night. I could not really say I have had heel pain, only the spasms a couple of nights on the outside of the right heel. Anyway, she did not think I have PF but told me to keep an eye out for heel pain as she could not rule it out but the other symptoms involve a whole different area and nerves. Btw I should send her a bill because we ended up talking about homeopathy/herbs etc and she wanted information ;) Tomorrow going to VA to a Birkenstock speciality store to buy a pair. thanks for the link to the overseas store, when I know my size for sure i will order from there in future.